Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 01-28-2005, 21:28   #1
aricbcool
Guerrilla Chief

Rosetta Stone: Opinions Anyone?

I'm thinking about purchasing the Arabic course on CD-ROM from: www.rosettastone.com

The course covers speaking, reading/writing Modern Standard Arabic.

Has anybody had experience with these guys before? Do they put out good stuff? Just looking for opinions before I shell out the $$$.

Thanks,
Aric
aricbcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 23:10   #2
jatx
Area Commander

Msa

Check this thread, Aric:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ghlight=arabic
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:14   #3
aricbcool
Guerrilla Chief

Ack... The search button got me. I knew it would happen one day. Only a matter of time. I had searched "rosetta stone" and "www.rossettastone.com" with no results.

That said, and with all due respect, I am more looking for opinion (good or bad) on Rosetta Stone, as it seems to be the best choice at this point.

Any takers?

--Aric
Old 01-29-2005, 20:42   #4
jatx
Area Commander

Msa

Aric,

That wasn't meant as a gotcha - not my place to do that.

I purchased Pimsleur's MSA (sp.?) awhile back and started in on it, but decided to defer until I can take some time off for an immersion course. I've got three years of Japanese, a pretty tough language, under my belt - and I could tell there was no way I was going to get Arabic "into my ear" only using the program.

Now if you have had, or can arrange, some other exposure to native speakers, that might not be a problem and my understanding is that both Pimsleur and Rosetta will do their part in building your vocab and grammar. But the sounds were just too alien to me, and my progress will be held up until that is rectified.

I tried posting an ad for a "conversation partner" on the bulletin board at a nearby mosque but no takers. I suppose they've had their fill of innocuous looking white guys who'd like to "talk".

One piece of advice: check Ebay for these titles - you should be able to save half.

Good luck!
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 23:01   #5
ender18d
Quiet Professional

I used some Rosetta in the Arabic language course. The program is very intelligently designed, and works well in the initial phases of learning. I was generally impressed. The limitations are that it is more focused (from the parts I used) on recognition of basic words and phrases, and isn't as strong on teaching you to speak. In addition, the way the program runs, a savvy person can master the patterns without actually mastering the underlying language.

Verdict: The best of the computer language courses I've seen, but *expensive* for home purchase and certainly no substitute for a real teacher.
ender18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 13:10   #6
aricbcool
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx
That wasn't meant as a gotcha - not my place to do that.
No worries, I know you were being helpful.

I've just tried really hard to not be the guy who comes out and asks his question before reading the related threads. I don't know what went wrong, but I missed it this time.

Thanks for the input on Pimsleur's, and the advice about Ebay; that's a good idea.

Ender, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to look into finding a native speaker locally (in addition to a CD-ROM course), but I'm not too hopeful. Idaho is a pretty small place.

Regards,
Aric

Last edited by aricbcool; 01-30-2005 at 13:12. Reason: for clarity
Old 02-03-2005, 14:50   #7
SoldiersSister
Asset

Rosetta Stone

I don't have any experience with the Arabic course in particular. As a homeschooler, I am familiar with the Rosetta Stone foreign language courses. They are very popular among homeschoolers and get very high reviews from most families I know that use them.

Just my two cents.
SoldiersSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 00:58   #8
12B4S
Quiet Professional

I'm thinking, after reading this, that Berlitz is out. Ist das wahr?
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 06:10   #9
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

Anyone tried the Mandarin one?

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 16:07   #10
aricbcool
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4S
I'm thinking, after reading this, that Berlitz is out. Ist das wahr?
Thanks to your advice, I gave them a call. The only option they have is private instructor. The price doesn't sit very well in my budget unfortunately. They did offer a CD-ROM program however: Rosetta Stone =0)

SoldiersSister, thanks for the feedback. I'm still looking for local classes, but it sounds like Rosetta Stone is the way to go for CD-ROM.

--Aric
Old 02-09-2005, 04:18   #11
aaronw
Guerrilla

I've used Rosetta Stone in Arabic. Its a good program, but it cant replace an actual teacher. I used it in conjunction with Arabic courses at a University. I liked it, but wouldent have learned much if I used it by itself.

I wouldent spend the money if its the only way you plan to study.

You can PM me if you have any other questions about the program.

Aaron
aaronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 15:38   #12
ghostinashell
Auxiliary

http://www.language-school-teachers.com/default.asp

Try this link you might be able to find an arabic teacher in your area an other suggestion might be to call a local mosque if there is one in your area, that might be helpful might not.
ghostinashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 17:03   #13
aricbcool
Guerrilla Chief

aaronw - Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your candid opinion and willingness to help. I'm still looking into some other options and will definitely PM if I need anything.

ghostinashell - I appreciate the link.
I couldn't find anyone for Boise but I will definitely try a local mosque and see what I can find.

Thanks again everyone,
Aric
Old 04-20-2006, 14:53   #14
airbornediver
Guerrilla

follow up question

has anyone used the rosetta stone via army e-learing?

if so, what do you think about it; good; bad; just ok?

reason I'm asking is because I used to be pretty good at a few languages, but having not used them in about 7+ years, I've lost them. Heard good things about the rosetta stone program and am thinking about improving my proficiency in at least one of them.

thanks in advance for the info and advice.
airbornediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 15:05   #15
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornediver
has anyone used the rosetta stone via army e-learing?

if so, what do you think about it; good; bad; just ok?

reason I'm asking is because I used to be pretty good at a few languages, but having not used them in about 7+ years, I've lost them. Heard good things about the rosetta stone program and am thinking about improving my proficiency in at least one of them.

thanks in advance for the info and advice.
I'm at home using the RS Arabic language course. At first I didn't like it, I couldn't find any Directions. When I into work, (we use it there) I read over the booklet. Now I understand it better.

Easy to use, I never used a computer based program. But RS is designed well, and works well for me so far. Its a program that uses a recognition of basic words and phrases through pictures. I've only done two lessons so far.

Hopefully this helps you out.

VG

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote