Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 19:12   #931
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Current Literature:

1: AFTERSHOCK: by,David Wiedemer,PhD. Robert A. Wiedemer and Cindy Spitzer. The authors who predicted the first Financial Meltdown of the conjoined real estate, stock and private debt bubbles that led to the financial crisis of 2008 and 2009.

2. Finished reading "FIASCO" by Thomas E. Ricks a definitive account of of America's military tragic experience in Iraq.

Regard's, TK
Old 03-30-2012, 16:30   #932
Sigaba
Area Commander

Peter Longerich, Heinrich Himmler, trans. Jeremy Noakes and Lesley Sharpe (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012).

Meticulously researched and exhaustively documented (approximately 740 pages of text, and 200 pages of end notes), this biography takes one through Germany during Himmler's lifetime largely from the subject's viewpoint. Consequently, readers without a working knowledge of modern German history may need to do some backtracking from time to time.

Readers who have no qualms with Americans using the symbols of the Nazi dictatorship as well as those who insist upon facile comparisons between modern American politics and Nazi Germany will be disappointed--if not outright embarrassed.

Having read a few works translated from German into English, I appreciate Noakes's and Sharpe's appreciation for English-speaking readers. There are relatively few WTF is he saying sentences that one often finds in works of German history.
Old 03-30-2012, 19:54   #933
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaba View Post
Peter Longerich, Heinrich Himmler, trans. Jeremy Noakes and Lesley Sharpe (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012).

Meticulously researched and exhaustively documented (approximately 740 pages of text, and 200 pages of end notes), this biography takes one through Germany during Himmler's lifetime largely from the subject's viewpoint. Consequently, readers without a working knowledge of modern German history may need to do some backtracking from time to time.

Readers who have no qualms with Americans using the symbols of the Nazi dictatorship as well as those who insist upon facile comparisons between modern American politics and Nazi Germany will be disappointed--if not outright embarrassed.

Having read a few works translated from German into English, I appreciate Noakes's and Sharpe's appreciation for English-speaking readers. There are relatively few WTF is he saying sentences that one often finds in works of German history.
Schadenfreude?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 03-31-2012, 06:10   #934
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Getting More

"Getting More" by Stuart Diamond. Nonfiction.

Possibly one of the most rewarding self improvement reads outside of history books I have laid my paws on.

In addition, USSOCOM hired this guy to teach at the latest Academics Week in Orlando to about 700 within our community. It was rated as the highest ranked class all week. Excellent seminar by any standard.

Highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking to improve their understanding of how to get your kid to brush his teeth up to High Risk Negotiations.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
Old 03-31-2012, 06:11   #935
Angry Mike
Quiet Professional

Eisenhower in War and Peace

jean edward smith

reminds me of how much i dislike macarthur and all the revisionist history.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:28   #936
Richard
Quiet Professional

Voices Of A People's History Of The United States - Zinn and Arnove, Seven Stories Press, 2004.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 03-31-2012, 06:29   #937
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Schadenfreude?

TR
lol No, that's outright envy.
Old 03-31-2012, 13:11   #938
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Schadenfreude?

TR
Exasperation.

Scholarly interpretations of modern history are getting increasingly complex. Yet, the popular discussion of that past continues to go in the opposite direction.

For example, post #939, above, broadly condemns "all revisionist history." However, all history is revisionist. If it weren't for this dynamic, Eisenhower would still be held in low esteem as a person, a professional soldier, and a statesmen.

Last edited by Sigaba; 04-04-2012 at 02:55.
Old 04-03-2012, 17:08   #939
tcb09d
Asset

A revision of the Defence of Duffer's Drift for the Iraq War, The Defense of Jisr Al- Doreaa, by two young Captains.

The book goes on exactly how the original does but only this time the young Captain's battle plan revolves around counterinsurgency. A small book, no more than 70 pages but to me at least, vastly insightful. It gets my recommendation.
Old 04-04-2012, 15:21   #940
snowwolf
Asset

Get Selected for Special Forces by Major Joe Martin

I've almost finished with it, but it has become my bible for training.

The Quiet Professional by Alan Hoe

Just bought this at the bookstore yesterday and can't put it down.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:01   #941
ReefBlue
Asset

Just picked up Shake Hands with the Devil (600 pages) and A long way gone.

Shake hands with the Devil is about Rwanda and A long way gone is about a boy soldier in Sierra Leone.

Not sure how long it will take to tackle both of these, but we'll see.
Old 04-09-2012, 19:45   #942
chester
SF Candidate

I really scored about 6 weeks ago at my local library and picked up a backpack full of military history and strategy books for free.

Read so far:

A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918 by G. J. Meyer

I never knew anything about WW I. This book was suprisingly hard to put down for a history book and did a great job of explaining the war for a guy like me with almost no knowledge of the world before the great depression.

Volume 1 of Winston Churchills 6 volume set on WW II. It was so good I ordered the rest of the set but it will be a while before I get through it.

Working my way through On War by Clausewitz. It is thought provoking but I suspect I did not get the most readable translation.

Spec Ops: Case Studies in Special Operations Warfare: Theory and Practice by William H. McRaven

This book was excellent. His 6 fundamentals of a successful "special op" (simplicity, security, repetition, surprise, speed and purpose), made a lot of sense and seem like a good mental checklist to review when planning a mission.

Also read The War of the Flea. It was a good read and one I will probably read again once I have some formal training in UW.

On deck: Modern Times: The World from the Twenties to the Nineties by Paul Johnson.

I've got a whole stack I would like to get through but I suspect once I start the Q course I won't have a whole lot of time for extra-curricular reading. Making the best of my free time while I've got it.
Old 04-10-2012, 15:06   #943
ReefBlue
Asset

Just picked up The Red Circle by Brandon Webb.

It just came out today, so for the first time in decades, I have a backlog of books to read, so it'll be a while before I get to this one, but just thumbing through it, it looks incredibly interesting.
Old 04-10-2012, 16:47   #944
akv
Area Commander

Child 44

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith.

Historical crime fiction set in 1953, in the Stalinist USSR. Based in part on a true story of the hunt for a serial killer who took over 50 lives across multiple decades. Frankly the descriptions of life in the Orwellian USSR are scarier than the killer. Since "crime doesn't officially exist" in the egalitarian Soviet state , pointing out societal imperfections like murder is itself a crime. LEO investigating a murder have to be very careful they don't get sent to the Gulag themselves for embarassing the State.

My $.02, those 99%ers would be well served to occupy a few hours with this book
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
Old 04-10-2012, 17:08   #945
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by akv View Post
Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith.

Historical crime fiction set in 1953, in the Stalinist USSR. Based in part on a true story of the hunt for a serial killer who took over 50 lives across multiple decades. Frankly the descriptions of life in the Orwellian USSR are scarier than the killer. Since "crime doesn't officially exist" in the egalitarian Soviet state , pointing out societal imperfections like murder is itself a crime. LEO investigating a murder have to be very careful they don't get sent to the Gulag themselves for embarassing the State.

My $.02, those 99%ers would be well served to occupy a few hours with this book
That guy was a sick bastard.