Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 20th Group

Old 04-04-2005, 14:48   #16
amatlis
SF Candidate

Thanks guys! That's what I figured anyway. I'll just go where the military needs me so it probably won't make a difference what the AO is. I believe everything happens for a reason, so I'll just be happy to get a chance at trying out and hopefully be an asset to a team. I'll take your advice and visit with the different groups.
amatlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:48   #17
MinerDiver
Asset

Another possibility

You may also want to look into the unit in West Virginia. It is 3 hours from D.C. and a part of 19th GP.
MinerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 17:30   #18
amatlis
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinerDiver
You may also want to look into the unit in West Virginia. It is 3 hours from D.C. and a part of 19th GP.
Thank you! I called them up and talked to recruiter Tom Edmonds as well as a Lt. Colonel (I forgot his name). I have to say I was very impressed. They were very diligent about calling me back. They were very informative without sounding pushy like a recruiter. They gave me information straight up without trying to paint a pretty picture. I would definately consider making the extra drive to join their group. Unfortunately they won't be drilling locally until May, so I won't be able to visit them in person this month. The Lt. Colonel said they were the first Guard unit to be sent to Afganistan and that he wasn't being biased when he claimed they have the best battalion in the Guard.

Anthony
Old 04-11-2005, 22:27   #19
abc_123
Quiet Professional

amantis , some unsolicited advice if i might. (ignore it if its of no use to you)

Remember, EVERYBODY has a bias.

Also, you have a long way to go and many gates to pass through before it even matters which battalion you belong to anyway (or it even matters to them). do not get too wrapped up thinking about the angles... by the time you get to the point where it really matters to you, things may change and that "best" battalion can turn into the "worst" by the time you get your tab (if, that is...). Anyway, for a long time in your career "good" or "bad" is determined to the greatest degree by how well you and your teammates work together and get along.

Regarding preparation...Do not overthink things, or fall into the trap of focusing on the external. Nobody can really prep you for selection and the Q but YOU. You know who succeeds? YOU. You know who is responsible if you fail? YOU. Look, if you really think about it, how much "training" or "preparation" can any of the companies provide you? One weekend a month. The other 28 days are yours. Simply DO THE BEST YOU CAN . (the definition of "Best" is totally up to...you guesed it... YOU!

You will do equally well (or poorly) no matter where you end up. So just find yourself a home and get on with it.

Oh, Good luck to you.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:08   #20
amatlis
SF Candidate

abc_123,

I am always extremely grateful when experienced operators take time to give advice. Thank you!

In the civilian world, careers often depends on how well you research your highschool, college, graduate school, and finally employer. I don't mean to overthink the problem, but I guess these habits die hard. I will take your advice and focus on the immediate goal and trust myself to determine my own success regardless of the choices.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2005, 19:44   #21
abc_123
Quiet Professional

no thanks necessary. i just see too many studs on too many boards looking for "THE PT program" , or "THE packing list" etc. etc. and fear that they are losing focus on who is really driving the train. IT's all YOU baby.

no, by all means do your research and ask your questons. THe internet is a great way to anonymously get info. Howevever, this is a thinking man's sport....remember that you are always being watched and evaluated. Always. And, you'll not necessarily know who exactly is doing the "evaluating". SO once you start interacting face to face with folks do that thinking before you open your mouth/do something that could be perceived to be something other than what you want. It's called understanding your operational environment. For example, you've posted the same questions here and on SOCNET. YOu may perceive it to be thorough research, however someone else may perceive it to be you discounting the advise/information that they gave at one location and going somewhere else to check behind it. Have someone get a "wrong" perception when they can really affect you and it can be very bad.... I'm talking about training and I'm talking about in real life when you and your 11 friends are by yourself at the tip of the american military spear interacting with people who speak a different language than you. (or with your team sergeant before that...LOL) Once you get into the pipeline remember that the world is a stage and you are one of the actors in a never-ending play.

who am i?... you don't really know. I don't know you. nor does anybody else really (unless you piss them off enough to do research on YOUR ass starting with your IP address... (not me, i don't know how) SO, keep researching here, and on SOCNET. no worries... but, filter all info/feedback with a critical eye.

You've mentioned chicago in your posts. A Co. in Chicago is a good bunch (and always in need of good 18E's). SFC Murphy (recruiter) is good people too. He is not SF but has a good working relationship with the Company... he won't misinform you.

My $.02 only.

Mods, i just realized i've come into your house and dished out advise in a couple of different threads. bad form w/o introducing myself. I will contact someone momentarily.
Old 04-12-2005, 20:56   #22
amatlis
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123
For example, you've posted the same questions here and on SOCNET. YOu may perceive it to be thorough research, however someone else may perceive it to be you discounting the advise/information that they gave at one location and going somewhere else to check behind it.
I apologize to those who frequent both boards. As a civilian it did not occur to me that double posting to different boards would be considered disrespectful, and it was not meant to be. I appreciate the situational awareness training.