Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 08-02-2011, 16:55   #31
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
You were in 5th Gp, I was in 5th Grade.....

After looking at the sketch I think it was Ambush Master...
Like I said earlier, I was questioned at length!!

Quote:
"The Gypsy Moths" talk about a crazy movie.....Soon after I graduated Military Free Fall school we watched this movie, amazing. My favorite was that guy that jumped with like seven reserves and deployed them all......

I still think DB Cooper was alive and well after his jump....
What say you Ambush Master?
I concur.

Later
Martin
Old 08-02-2011, 17:32   #32
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

I personally think the guy went in during the heist.

Of course, I personally think UBL has been dead for a few years, too.

Come to think of it, I might still be correct on both counts...
Old 08-02-2011, 17:39   #33
mark46th
Quiet Professional

TS- I went to my nephew's ROTC graduation up at Pacific Lutheran near Ft Lewis. I saw this young Pinoy kid in blues running around giving orders. I walked by him and noticed Silver Oak Leafs on his Uniform. He was the ROTC Advisor. If I had seen him on the street, I would have sworn he was no more than 18 years old. I guess I really am a FOG.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 21:00   #34
Holyfire23
Asset

He's probably in Pakistan. I don't think FBI's most wanted carries much weight over there.
Holyfire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:27   #35
wet dog

Quote:
HEY Mr. Cooper, please write to us here at ProfessionalSoldiers.com and let us know if you're still alive!

We also want to know if you were a former SF soldier.

Team Sergeant
You're thinking of Richard McCoy, a Cooper 'Copy Cat".

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_McCoy,_Jr.

Richard McCoy, Jr.

Richard Floyd McCoy, Jr.

Born, December 7, 1942
Kinston, North Carolina

Died, November 9, 1974 (aged 31)
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Charge(s), Aircraft piracy

Penalty, 45 years incarceration

Richard Floyd McCoy, Jr. (December 7, 1942 – November 9, 1974) was an American aircraft hijacker.

McCoy hijacked a United Airlines passenger jet for ransom in 1972. Due to a similar modus operandi, law enforcement officials named McCoy as a suspect for the still-unidentified "D. B. Cooper," who committed his unsolved crime four months before McCoy.

McCoy was born December 7, 1942, in the town of Kinston, North Carolina, and grew up in nearby Cove City. In 1962 McCoy moved to Provo, Utah, and enrolled at Brigham Young University (BYU) before dropping out to serve a two-year tour of duty in the Army. He served in Vietnam as a demolition expert and pilot[1] and was awarded the Purple Heart in 1964.

In 1965 McCoy returned to BYU, where he met Karen Burns. They married in August 1965 in Raleigh. By 1971 they had two children, Chanti and Richard.

McCoy served another term in the Army on the condition he go to Vietnam, where he was awarded both the Army Commendation Medal and Distinguished Flying Cross. Upon returning to Utah, he served as a warrant officer in the Utah National Guard and was an avid skydiver.[2]

McCoy taught Mormon Sunday school and studied law enforcement at BYU. His purported dream was to become an FBI or CIA agent.

[edit] Criminal career

Same modus operandi as D. B. Cooper
On April 7, 1972, McCoy boarded United Airlines Flight 855 under the alias "James Johnson" during a stopover in Denver, Colorado. The aircraft was a Boeing 727 with aft stairs (the same equipment used in the D. B. Cooper incident), via which McCoy escaped in mid-flight by parachute after giving the crew similar instructions as Cooper had. McCoy had obtained a $500,000 cash ransom, and carried a novelty grenade and an empty pistol.

Police began investigating McCoy following a tip from a motorist. The driver had picked up McCoy hitch-hiking at a fast-food restaurant, where McCoy was wearing a jumpsuit and carrying a duffel bag. McCoy also had described to an acquaintance how easy it would be to carry out such a hijacking.[3]

Following fingerprint and handwriting matches, McCoy was arrested two days after the hijacking. Ironically, McCoy was on National Guard duty flying one of the helicopters involved in the search for the hijacker. Inside his house, FBI agents found a jumpsuit and a duffel bag filled with cash totaling $499,970.[1]

McCoy claimed innocence, but was convicted of the hijacking[4] and received a 45-year sentence.[5] Once incarcerated at the Federal penitentiary at Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, McCoy used his access to the prison's dental office in order to fashion a fake handgun out of dental paste ("The FBI Files" episode "Flight From Justice -- The Story of D.B. Cooper"). He and a crew of convicts escaped on August 10, 1974 by commandeering a garbage truck and crashing it through the prison's main gate.[6]

Three months later the FBI located McCoy in Virginia Beach, Virginia. News reports stated that on November 9, 1974, McCoy walked into his home and was met by FBI agents;[7] he fired at them, and an agent fired back with a shotgun, killing McCoy.[8]

[edit] Lawsuits over Cooper allegations

1991 saw the publication of D. B. Cooper: The Real McCoy, by FBI agents Bernie Rhodes and Russell P. Calame. Both authors investigated McCoy's skyjacking case, and their book posits that Cooper and McCoy were really the same person. They cited similar methods of hijacking, and a tie and Brigham Young University medallion with McCoy's initials on the back left on the plane by Cooper.

After the book's publication, McCoy's widow filed suit against the book's authors, publisher and her former attorney, Thomas S. Taylor. She claimed they misrepresented her involvement in the hijacking for which McCoy was convicted, and also misrepresented later events from interviews done with Taylor in the 1970s. She sought an injunction against publication and distribution of the book.[9]

During court proceedings, it was revealed that McCoy's widow was deeply involved in the hijacking. Her request for an injunction to prohibit further sales of the book was denied. However, an injunction to prohibit the sale of movie rights to the book — conditional upon the movie including references to four specific allegations in the book that she protested — was granted.[10] Mrs. McCoy accepted a settlement in 1994.[11]

Last edited by wet dog; 08-03-2011 at 05:32.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:20   #36
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
TS- I went to my nephew's ROTC graduation up at Pacific Lutheran near Ft Lewis. I saw this young Pinoy kid in blues running around giving orders. I walked by him and noticed Silver Oak Leafs on his Uniform. He was the ROTC Advisor. If I had seen him on the street, I would have sworn he was no more than 18 years old. I guess I really am a FOG.

Yeah well we may be FOGs but we're still.....

Wait. What were we talking about again??
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:01   #37
AngelsSix
Area Commander

A woman claiming to be the niece of infamous
skyjacker D.B. Cooper has spoken to ABC News in an
exclusive interview about her role in the recently re-
ignited 40-year-old cold case that has haunted the
FBI for years.

Marla Cooper told ABC News that she has provided
the FBI with a guitar strap and a Christmas photo of a
man pictured with the same strap who she says is her
uncle, Lynn Doyle Cooper.

After clarifying her childhood memories surrounding
the incident and more recent conversations with her
parents, she is now sure that her uncle is in fact the
notorious man who hijacked and threatened to blow
up a commercial plane flying to Seattle in 1971, then
parachuted to the ground with $200,000 in hand.

"I'm certain he was my uncle, Lynn Doyle Cooper. Who
we called L.D. Cooper," she told ABC News.

Story continues here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/db-cooper-e...ry?id=14219052

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:24   #38
tonyz
Area Commander

Cynics say...

Just before 'ole LD asked the question..."what did you say the going book and movie royalty rates were again?"

tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 14:50   #39
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post

Just before 'ole LD asked the question..."what did you say the going book and movie royalty rates were again?"

I'm not sure what the going rate is...the bigger question is can Treat Williams still turn in a sad performance?
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 15:03   #40
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
I'm not sure what the going rate is...the bigger question is can Treat Williams still turn in a sad performance?
I can answer that one...yes.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:32   #41
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Another lead gone cold...poor FBI.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice...egend-lives-on
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:47   #42
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
Yeah well we may be FOGs but we're still.....

Wait. What were we talking about again??
Life's a bitch isn't it?......Wait until people start finishing your sentences for you because you can't,then you know your FOG qualifed.........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:16   #43
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

I would think anybody cunning enough to pull off that stunt would be too cunning to use his last name, anyway.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:48   #44
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

SKYJACK: The hunt for D.B. Cooper

The book is now available online at Amazon...

Quote:
U.S. finds timeless escape in D.B. Cooper hijacking

Paul D. Shinkman, wtop.com

WASHINGTON -- New insights into one of the country's most famous unsolved mysteries show a man who fought the system 40 years ago is still as relevant today.

Geoff Gray, a crime and features writer, went on sabbatical from New York magazine in 2007 to delve deeper into the D.B. Cooper case, the popularity of which he said is due to the striking similarities between that enigmatic night in 1971 and the present day. His book, "Skyjack: The Hunt for D.B. Cooper" was released Tuesday.
Article on WTOP here

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:28   #45
VVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
Life's a bitch isn't it?......Wait until people start finishing your sentences for you because you can't,then you know your FOG qualifed.........

Big Teddy
I believe that's when a FOG becomes is awarded the V prefix....VFOG!!