Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 08-06-2018, 21:35   #1
ProudGSMom
Asset

Uniformed Services University

Can anyone share information or experience with Uniformed Services University? There is a civilian track for a doctorate in clinical psychology that looks intriguing. It was recommended that I look into it, but not being prior service, I’d never heard of it and know nothing about the culture, reputation, etc.
~
"Islam" means "Submission" we are Americans, we do not submit.
~
PS, Sgt. x, you met him before we deployed. He is asking for Double Stuffed Oreos.
~
~~~excerpts from letters home, PFC Andrew Meari, KIA 11/1/10
ProudGSMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:20   #2
ender18d
Quiet Professional

USU

I am a bit biased but I feel I got an excellent medical education at USU and would recommend the MD program to anyone serious about caring for servicemen and women in harm's way. It is generally considered to be a solid, quality MD program. Happy to answer more info in PM or here.

I'll be honest the psychology program is off in its own world a bit, we only really interacted with students in that program during our final FTX, so I can't speak to how people there feel about that particular training. However, as an institution USU is excellent.
Old 08-07-2018, 16:46   #3
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender18d View Post
I am a bit biased but I feel I got an excellent medical education at USU and would recommend the MD program to anyone serious about caring for servicemen and women in harm's way. It is generally considered to be a solid, quality MD program. Happy to answer more info in PM or here.

I'll be honest the psychology program is off in its own world a bit, we only really interacted with students in that program during our final FTX, so I can't speak to how people there feel about that particular training. However, as an institution USU is excellent.
Isn't this for soldiers going into the medical world from enlisted or for medical professionals coming into the military world?
Old 08-07-2018, 17:13   #4
ender18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
Isn't this for soldiers going into the medical world from enlisted or for medical professionals coming into the military world?
Mostly yes, but there are a bunch of different programs including a civilian clinical psychology track. I am not sure exactly how it works, but there are definitely civilian students.

https://www.usuhs.edu/mps/applicants

There are also DNP programs for RNs (large programs) and a handful of other small research or clinical tracks.

Its an interesting place to learn medicine.

And if any of my medic brothers still haven't heard about it, the Enlisted-to-MD program is fantastic.

https://www.usuhs.edu/emdp2
Old 08-07-2018, 23:44   #5
ProudGSMom
Asset

Thank you

ender and WD. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

I went back to college two years ago with the intent of earning a PhD. That was scary enough, being in a classroom as a student for the first time in 30 years. I’m gathering it is a really big deal to get accepted to USU, and even more so as a civilian. But, it will require me to move across the country, by myself, to one of the only places I don’t have people. If I get accepted, if I have the courage to try. On the other hand, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and the potential gain is more than I dared to dream.
~
"Islam" means "Submission" we are Americans, we do not submit.
~
PS, Sgt. x, you met him before we deployed. He is asking for Double Stuffed Oreos.
~
~~~excerpts from letters home, PFC Andrew Meari, KIA 11/1/10
ProudGSMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:53   #6
ender18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudGSMom View Post
ender and WD. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

I went back to college two years ago with the intent of earning a PhD. That was scary enough, being in a classroom as a student for the first time in 30 years. I’m gathering it is a really big deal to get accepted to USU, and even more so as a civilian. But, it will require me to move across the country, by myself, to one of the only places I don’t have people. If I get accepted, if I have the courage to try. On the other hand, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and the potential gain is more than I dared to dream.
Whatever you decide good luck and message me if i can be of assistance. If you struggle to find a good POC let me know.