Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Deactivated SF Units

Old 08-05-2012, 15:37   #1
TomR
Asset

6th SFG Are any others around

I was a member of the 6th SFG , 801st MI Det at Ft Bragg during the period of 1965-1968. Attended Jump school at Ft Benning, and returned to the 6th SFG, 801st MI Detachment. In 1967, completed requirements for suffix "S", and received orders for same. Presently Looking for any other members of the unit during that period.

Last edited by TomR; 12-17-2019 at 15:09.
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 19:24   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Tom:

Not sure if you have introduced yourself here or not, but do us a favor, go to the Introductions thread and do so.

Appreciate it if you would fill in your profile a bit as well.

You might get more and better replies if we know who you are.

All the best.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 19:17   #3
DFLAN
Asset

I was a member of the 6th SFG from 65 - 66. COs were Col Patten the Col McCulloch. My Company Commander, A Company, was LTC Wasco; I commanded an ODA. If I remenber correctly our Group was also referred to as a "Special Action Group" since we had a Civil Affairs Company, and Engineer and MP Dettachments and were capable of FID ops.

DFLAN
DFLAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 15:26   #4
ghp95134
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFLAN View Post
I was a member of the 6th SFG from 65 - 66. COs were Col Patten the Col McCulloch. My Company Commander, A Company, was LTC Wasco; I commanded an ODA. If I remenber correctly our Group was also referred to as a "Special Action Group" since we had a Civil Affairs Company, and Engineer and MP Dettachments and were capable of FID ops.

DFLAN
Did you know CPT Bud Power? My father was 6th SFG after he came back from DLI in '64 -- sometime between 64-65. I really loved that red/white/black flash! He did some Gabriel Demonstration stuff too, went to Toronto, Alaska, etc. And I recall the time he arranged for me to go into the museum and the curator allowed me to disassemble an MP-40 ... he was surprised that a 13 year-old could do that (I memorized it from Jane's Weapons of the World). After his time with the 6th he deployed to 5th SFG from '65~'66 (Det. B-33, Camp Widder).

His airborne assignments: 505th PIR, 77th, 1st, 6th, 5th, and Training Group

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RB_Power.jpg (15.4 KB, 115 views)

------------
"And all this science, I don't understand. It's just my job five days a week" -- Rocket Man

Last edited by ghp95134; 08-21-2013 at 14:55. Reason: change "to" > "too". sheesh.
ghp95134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:40   #5
cooper1340s
Asset

I was with 6th Gp in 67 and again in 70, when I commanded C Co, 2nd Bn, 6th SFGA.
cooper1340s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 16:30   #6
rewright
Asset

Time in the 6th Group

I am sure there are a few of us still on the roles. I had been assigned to the 3rd Group with MSG Leo J. Violette in the Group Surgeon's office when the 3rd was deactivated. We all simply changed flashes... same job, same great guys, same room in the barracks... New flash. CPT Jeff MacDonald was our Group Surgeon. I had been to his quarters a few times and new Collette and the girls. Sgt Ross Polizanno and I went to Womack after we were released from an all hands inspection. Captain Mac didn't look to good as I recall. The pall bearers for the girls were made up of medical NCOs from the Surgeons office. The girls were small enough that we only needed four bearers per casket. It was not a great time.
rewright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 17:26   #7
Premsore
Asset

6th Grp alumni

Hit Co. C 6th Grp in Dec 69. See my introduction and profile for more info.
Anybody have info on a friend for mine from the 6th, Patrick St Clair from Blacksburg, VA?
Premsore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:49   #8
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
We just missed each other.
Mar 69-Dec 69, S-4, C co..

Welcome to the hive..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:40   #9
Premsore
Asset

Sorry I Missed You

Dude, if you had stayed just 2 more months, we moved from the old WWII barracks on Smokebomb Hill to the newer brick barracks like we had in Training Group the other side of JFK Center. So I only had to be a "fireman" (keeping the coal furnaces going at night) for a short period.
Thanks for the welcome!
Old 12-13-2015, 07:27   #10
glebo
Quiet Professional

I work with a former 6th GPer, Jeff (Richard) H.. I'll show him this thread and your profile...he may knw ya..
Old 12-13-2015, 08:33   #11
Premsore
Asset

Thanks! I see you're in Hope Mills. Knew a guy that was in the 7th that stayed in and last time I talked to him he had just retired, was CSM with the Golden Knights. I went through basic, AIT, jump school, and phase I with him. He went to weapons. Reason I tell you this is he grew up in Hope Mills and far as I know he still lives there. His name is Randy C.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:11   #12
SPEC4
Guerrilla

Airborne infantry AIT,

Premsore,
I also came out of Fort Gordon, light weapons infantry.
Our paths must have crossed, Check my profile.
Welcome

Learn from the mistakes of others...you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Love is like a fart, if you have to force it ......it's CRAP.

If you stay ready you don't have to get ready - an old Fireman
SPEC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 18:21   #13
Premsore
Asset

Airborne Infantry AIT

Spec4, I liked that Airborne Infantry AIT title! I think only a few of us know what that was. At Camp Crockett we weren't ever considered to be in Leg Infantry AIT, but instead training to eventually go to jump school and an airborne unit. We all trained using the Airborne PT test as our PT model. I was at Crockett beginning early January 69. Quonset huts, kerosene heaters that smoked so bad, when you wake up in the morning, your skin is covered in soot, blow your nose, and black soot. No running water, lister bags in the company street, and porta johns on each end of a Quonset. Went many a day in training that we didn't get back to the company area in time to catch the deuce and a half that went to the shower building a few miles down the road. Heck, that experience prepped us for phase I I'm a firm believer.
Like you, right after I hit group as a Spec4, the future cycles automatically made E5 coming to group, which froze E5 slots to the new guys. I never held it against them, it was the system. I finally got promoted after harassing my poor SGM and having to go before a promotion board after being in group for a year.
Old 12-13-2015, 18:39   #14
SPEC4
Guerrilla

45 years ago

Yes, I have the same memories of primitive conditions at Fort Gordon and after AIT, jump school was easy .
I believe all of the field training had us well prepared for the Q school.

Learn from the mistakes of others...you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Love is like a fart, if you have to force it ......it's CRAP.

If you stay ready you don't have to get ready - an old Fireman
SPEC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:06   #15
Mike
Quiet Professional

I went through the Airborne Infantry AIT at Ft Gordon, winter of 67.
I had enlisted Infantry with Airborne option.
Got into a big snot-throw on another board with a bunch of geniuses who claimed that school never existed.
I was across the street from the old POW huts.

I went to 6th Grp after SFTG. Put in a 1049 for RVN the 1st day.
It took 6 months to get out of there.
Neat flash.