Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 05-25-2004, 20:15   #16
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Training with Chuck is impressive Blade Master. He used to hit verrrry hard from what I saw when he was fighting. Probably still go a round or two.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 20:25   #17
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Martial Arts and modern warfare, very interesting topic. First, learn the firearms. Col. Rex Applegate and i discussed this several times. both shooting and hand to hand fighting had some common factors, training the reflexes for emergency stress response had a lot to do with success or not. Don't get locked into a single "style". We trained american boxing, grappling, judo, takedowns and throws as well as strikes. We could do high kicks ( in the old days I could do a jump spinning heel kick thru three inches of wood held suspended by the top only) and have knocked out several partners in training with body kicks. That scared the shit out of me because I'd thought I'd killed a friend when they hit the deck vibrating like a stunned fish, but I also understood how exposed high kicks were "on the street". Keep it real.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 20:34   #18
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I love this topic. The Gung Ho Chuan and Gutter Fighters, same line as Col. Applegate, use a force continuum/escalation theory. Empty hand/Baton (ASP)/ knife/firearm. Pick your degree of force according to the threat. All are drawn basically the same and presented from the same body position - mechanics are very similar. I agree about the handgun - hardest to learn and I like doing the hard thing first.

Passing, blocking, axe hands, chin jabs, snap cuts, FLASH (for the TS LOL) sight picture shooting. Always having the advantage. Great stuff.

Fighting with rules is sport, and I don't play sports.

Of course The Reaper's BMFG with APLP ammo at 1,000 meters trumps.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 05-25-2004, 20:35   #19
DunbarFC
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Weapon of choice:

You sure you aren't from South Boston ?

Old 05-25-2004, 20:38   #20
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Training with Chuck is impressive Blade Master. He used to hit verrrry hard from what I saw when he was fighting. Probably still go a round or two.
One cold Oregon season we'd brought Chuck up to Oregon for both a testing and tournament. That cool saturday morning the media was there to do a thing on Chuck so he asked me to help him warm up by my holding the strike pad on my left hand so he could do some spinning heel kicks. The first time he hit my hand was like I got hit with a baseball bat so I pulled my arm back into position so he could do it again (even old guys get lucky...) sumbitch, strike no. 2 was harder and I turned past half ways backwards. Hmmm, momma didn't raise no dummy, ok, quit now or stay in this style of martial arts. well awright, Momma raised a dummy, I put my arm back up and got hit even harder, WOW! I thought, if he misses the pad, my wrist is shattered. Sumbitch, cameras rolling now, can't quit. do it again, this is starting to hurt damnit. 10 times that side then change sides...same thing. Chuck never missed the center of the strike pad. I think he could help with Monkey Stomping.

Last edited by Bill Harsey; 05-25-2004 at 20:41.
Old 05-25-2004, 20:46   #21
Bill Harsey

Quote:
I love this topic. The Gung Ho Chuan and Gutter Fighters, same line as Col. Applegate, use a force continuum/escalation theory. Empty hand/Baton (ASP)/ knife/firearm. Pick your degree of force according to the threat. All are drawn basically the same and presented from the same body position - mechanics are very similar. I agree about the handgun - hardest to learn and I like doing the hard thing first.

Passing, blocking, axe hands, chin jabs, snap cuts, FLASH (for the TS LOL) sight picture shooting. Always having the advantage. Great stuff.

Fighting with rules is sport, and I don't play sports.

Of course The Reaper's BMFG with APLP ammo at 1,000 meters trumps.
OK, Lets keep the Good Reaper out of this just for the moment, Using/training the human bodys natural stress response to a threat is the most important thing I learned from Rex Applegate. This is Monkey Stomping 101.
Old 05-25-2004, 20:51   #22
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Re: Martial Arts

Quote:
Originally posted by Air.177
Anyone Study? What do you study, How long have you studied, Would you recommend your art to anyone else?
Are you studying?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 05-25-2004, 20:54   #23
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Weapon of choice:
WTF????

No Smatchet???
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 20:58   #24
Bill Harsey

Sir Air.177, NDD's question...
Old 05-25-2004, 21:04   #25
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Re: Re: Martial Arts

Quote:
Are you studying?
Not consistantly now, But I still play with Modern Arnis stick stuff and Some Ryuku Kempo w/Kyusho jitsu pressure point stuff thrown in for good measure. Lots of knock outs and energy related stuff.
Old 05-25-2004, 21:08   #26
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
Sir Air.177, NDD's question...
Tallyho, I didn't see it before I posted
Old 05-25-2004, 21:18   #27
skipjack
Auxiliary

Lightbulb

I studied Jeet Kune Do, along with Kun Tao, Gracie Jiu-Jitsu (with Royce Gracie), Kali (double stick and knife) and a couple others for about 4 years. Still practice periodically. I loved it and wish I had the time and the money to get back into it. Great for practical self defence and a great workout!

-skipjack
skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 21:40   #28
Razor
Quiet Professional

NDD, d'you get the 'manual' I e-mailed?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 22:58   #29
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Studied Koden Kan Dan Zan Ryu Jujitsu for 13 years (achived Ni-dan).

While studying Jujitsu I did some stuff under Professor Walli Jay.....mostly tap out and scream. What an amazing instructor.

Also did some old school Ninjitsu with a guy from Isreal....If you guys want to know his name PM me I will not post it in the open. He got his 7th in Ninjitsu from Hatsumi in Japan.

Currently just started Combat Hapkido.

I recently went to a Bill Wolfe DEFENDO seminar. WOW that guy is one BAD MAMA JAMA. Mr. Harsey I'm sure you know Mr. Wolfe I guess he learned DEFENDO from Col Applegate. I can't wait to go to another one of his classes.

If you guys are curious this is DEFENDO .
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 23:56   #30
Sdiver
Area Commander

Studied Ed Parker's IKKA Kenpo Karate for 3 1/2 years. Was assistant instructor, for the kiddies and lower ranking belts at my studio for 2 years.

Was Jeff Speakman's punching bag, when he came to Denver to promote his (and Mr. Parker's) movie The Perfect Weapon. My Instructor was more into Kick boxing than Kata's and forms, so we did alot of training in that and competed in alot of the local fights. ( My record 11-2-1) Met Chuck Norris, too. Once was at one of my Instructors fights and latter when I worked on an Episode of Walker, Texas Ranger. Nice guy.

But now that I've found out about the secrets of Monkey Stomping, those other Eastern Styles can take a back seat. Where do I sign up?
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote