Old 09-06-2012, 12:22   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

Al Gore - Ex-Green Beret For US Senate

Never heard of him - and so it goes...

Richard

The Al Gore You Never Knew
CNN, 5 sEP 2012

He has one of the most recognizable names in American politics, but there's a lot you don't know about Albert Gore, Jr.

For instance, he was a Green Beret and master parachutist in the Army with 91 jumps under his belt and the rank of colonel. He has a fondness for cigars and pipes, lit or unlit. And in 1998, he retired from a 51-year career as a Methodist minister.

No, Col. Albert Nottly Gore, Jr., is not the Albert Arnold Gore, Jr., who served as U.S. Senator from Tennessee, vice president, and 2000 Democratic presidential nominee.

But he is following the better-known Gore's footsteps in one notable way: he's Mississippi's Democratic nominee for U.S. Senate against Republican incumbent Roger Wicker.

Although both Gores are delegates to the Democratic National Convention this week in Charlotte, the octogenarian retired minister and veteran is the only Albert Gore who showed up in person.

Colonel Gore has never met the former vice president, whom he calls a distant relative, but says the two served in Vietnam at the same time.

"He's a good man. Honest. And he should have been president," he said.

As a candidate, Gore, a self-described "progressive Democrat," is focusing on "preserving Social Security, holding on to Medicare, and supporting education for the years ahead."

He says he tossed his green beret into the ring when "no one else would step up."

"I promised the party last year that if no one stepped up, I would," he said. "I'm not one to sit around and wait for someone else to do it."

The colonel has his work cut out for him. Mississippi hasn't sent a Democrat to the U.S. Senate since the 1980s. And he is unlikely to receive any help from the top of the ticket. The state, which has voted Democratic in a presidential election only once since 1960, is considered safe territory for Mitt Romney in November.

Nonetheless, the Wicker campaign says its candidate isn't taking anything for granted.

"Senator Wicker is approaching the campaign very seriously," said Rick Curtsinger, a Wicker campaign spokesman. "He's been traveling across the state meeting with Mississippians, talking with them, and will put forth a very strong effort to win in November. Certainly a Senate race is never a thing that candidates should be taking lightly."

Wicker had $2.3 million in the bank at the end of June. Gore has none of the required campaign finance paperwork on file with the Federal Election Commission but says he's "running on his own resources," including $6000 for gas to campaign around the state.

As for whether running with the name Al Gore helps or hurts in Mississippi, Curtsinger said, "You'd have to ask Mr. Gore that. Senator Wicker is focused on the issues that are affecting Mississippians and putting forth conservative solutions."

Of his famous moniker, Gore said, "It helped on name recognition, even though I was already known in Democratic circles throughout the state."

Stuart Rothenberg, a non-partisan political analyst and editor of the Rothenberg Political Report, was blunt in assessing the race: "Wrong state. Wrong party. Wrong Gore. His chance of winning is zero."

Gore has a more optimistic view of the odds: "I'm going to beat him."

He says his training as a Green Beret and Army parachutist has helped him on the campaign trail.

"You overcome any fears," he said. "I'm a Green Beret. Nothing is impossible."

Gore, a first-time delegate, is attending official convention events but is staying off the party circuit and is not going out of his way to meet celebrities or collect any convention souvenirs.

"I don't need any more junk," he said.

But he did run into Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz at an event Monday and handed her his campaign flier.

"I don't know if she remembered me or not," he said. "I just wanted to remind her that I'm still alive. I'm still here, and I'm doing okay."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ou-never-knew/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AK Gore, Jr.jpg (31.4 KB, 169 views)
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:34   #2
alelks
Quiet Professional

Hmmm,

I ran across this BIO:

Education & Experience: Retired Methodist minister; graduate of Mathiston High School; bachelor's degree from Millsaps College in Jackson and a master's degree from the School of Divinity at Duke University in Durham, N.C.; served as a chaplain with U.S. Army Special Forces (Green Beret) and graduated from the Command-In-General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, KS; earned the U.S. Army Master Parachutist badge, having completed 91 jumps; veteran of the Vietnam War, where I earned several honors that include the Meritorious Service Medal, the Bronze Star, and the Purple Heart; retired from the military with the rank of Colonel; have served as chairman of the Executive Committee of the Oktibbeha County Democratic Party.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:45   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Serving as a cook, rigger or chaplain in Special Forces doesn't make you a "Green Beret".

I think it's time to set CNN's record straight, again.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:56   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I have sent a FOIA request for Col. Albert Nottly Gore, Jr. military record to USASOC.

I'd like to watch CNN eat crow, again.......
Old 09-06-2012, 16:17   #5
VVVV

Back in the day, there were chaplains in group that went through the SFOC and earned their Flash. Same was true of MDs.
Old 09-06-2012, 16:22   #6
Richard
Quiet Professional

We had a few Chaplains in the 7th who had been DET CDRs in the 5th or 1st, left the service to attend seminary school, and then returned as Chaplains. People would get that WTF stare when they'd see our Chaplains in dress uniform with a CIB, Master Wings, BSMw/V, etc.

I'll be interested to hear COL Gore's tale, though.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 09-06-2012, 16:37   #7
VVVV

Capt/Major Virgil T Cooley was 7th Group Chaplain in 1966 - SF, Master Blaster.
Old 09-06-2012, 17:01   #8
ender18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Back in the day, there were chaplains in group that went through the SFOC and earned their Flash. Same was true of MDs.
I seem to recall seeing a Green Beret on display at the AMEDD Museum at FT Sam that had belonged to a dental officer in the Vietnam era. I ran a web search and believe this is the guy: http://vimeo.com/24583030

Interesting bit of history.

I have no idea about the particular politician in the original post, though.

Last edited by ender18d; 09-06-2012 at 19:07.
ender18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 18:59   #9
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Had a Chaplin in 1st and 10th that was originally an SF Demo man. His name was (I kow I have spelled it wrong, someone correct em please) Stapanzy or something like that. He was a good man and would marry up with teams in the woods by walking out to "where I figured you would be about now". Was startling to see him sitting on a stump and you moved quietly through the woods.

As far as this Gore guy, never heard of him.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 19:10   #10
Richard
Quiet Professional

Stepanzy - his son was an SF Officer, too.

Richard

Old 09-06-2012, 19:26   #11
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
Had a Chaplin in 1st and 10th that was originally an SF Demo man. His name was (I kow I have spelled it wrong, someone correct em please) Stapanzy or something like that. He was a good man and would marry up with teams in the woods by walking out to "where I figured you would be about now". Was startling to see him sitting on a stump and you moved quietly through the woods.

As far as this Gore guy, never heard of him.

He had a CIB also....I remember him from 10th

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 19:56   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Neil Dennington was the 7th Group Chaplain when I was there, and he had a Silver Star from when he was an EM running Recon in VN.

This Gore cat, I never heard of, but he sounds like as typical Dim with his hand out.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 19:56   #13
69harley
Guerrilla

Had a chaplain in Panama (1-508th) named Boatright that was a former SF engineer. I think he PCS'd to one of the SF groups.
69harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 20:30   #14
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I have sent a FOIA request for Col. Albert Nottly Gore, Jr. military record to USASOC.
I'd like to watch CNN eat crow, again.......
My money's on the Chaplin.
I'll bet he's got an SFDOQC Diploma and some serious Group Chaplin time in Vietnam.
The Handcock avatar for a week to the loser?

Last edited by Dozer523; 09-07-2012 at 00:44.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 20:33   #15
chance
Guerrilla Chief

Had a Chaplain in 4th ID that had his long tab, I can't remember his name to save my life. This was around 99-2000 at Fort Hood. Also had a Col Knight that was suppose to have been with 1st-SFODD back in the day.