Old 06-08-2011, 21:01   #31
XJWoody
Auxiliary

Coronal Mass Ejection 6-7-2011

The Droid Phone and landline connected PC made it through AOK. I bet a cold beer that the wood stove still fires up, the firearms still shoot, and a bucket down the well still brings up water

http://www.space.com/11893-huge-sun-...lar-flare.html

"The sun unleashed a massive solar storm today (June 7) in a dazzling eruption that kicked up a vast cloud of magnetic plasma that appeared to rain back down over half of the sun's entire surface, NASA scientists say.

The solar storm hit its peak at about 2:41 a.m. EDT (0641 GMT), but the actual flare extended over a three-hour period, said C. Alex Young, a solar astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center who runs a website called The Sun Today, in a video describing the event.

"The sun produced a quite spectacular prominence eruption that had a solar flare and high-energy particles associated with it, but I've just never seen material released like this before," Young said. "It looks like somebody just kicked a giant clod of dirt into the air and then it fell back down." [Video: See the sun's June 7 solar flare and eruption]

Pass the Solar Jobs Bill www.capwiz.com/energync
Thousands of North Carolina Jobs Cleaner Energy. Take Action Today!
Ads by Google

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory spacecraft caught high-definition video of the flare in different wavelengths. The event registered as a Class M-2 solar flare, which is a medium-class sun storm that should not pose a danger to satellites or infrastructure on Earth.

An alert by the NOAA-operated Space Weather Prediction Center stated that the solar flare could create a strong geomagnetic storm on Wednesday (June 9) from the event's coronal mass ejection (CME), an explosion of charged particles triggered by the flare. Geomagnetic storms can lead to stronger than normal displays of Earth's auroras, also known as the northern and southern lights.

"It's nothing we really have to worry about," Young said in his video. "It's just really, really beautiful."

The coronal mass ejection is directed at Earth and moving at about 3.1 million mph (5 million kph), SDO mission scientists said in a statement.

"Due to its angle, however, effects on Earth should be fairly small. Nevertheless, it may generate space weather effects here on Earth in a few days," they added.

In the SDO videos, the solar flare erupts from the lower right of the sun and triggers the intense coronal mass ejection, which blows plasma and particles high up into the sun's corona — its outer atmosphere — with some raining back down.

SDO mission scientists said the flare kicked up relatively cool gas and material.

"It is somewhat unique because at many places in the eruption there seems to be even cooler material —at temperatures less than 80,000 Kelvin," SDO scientists explained.

A temperature of 80,000 Kelvin is about 143,540 degrees Fahrenheit (nearly 79,727 degrees Celsius). The sun's corona typically has temperatures ranging from 900,000 degrees F (500,000 degrees C) to 10.8 million degrees F (6 million degrees C). It can reach tens of millions of degrees when a solar flare occurs.

The sun is currently going through an active period in it is 11-year solar weather cycle. The current cycle is called solar cycle 24.

Several NASA spacecraft are keeping constant watch on the sun for flares and CMEs, and serve as an early-warning system for major space weather events.

You can follow SPACE.com Managing Editor Tariq Malik on Twitter @tariqjmalik. Follow SPACE.com for the latest in space science and exploration news on Twitter @Spacedotcom and on Facebook."

YMMV
XJWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:17   #32
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

My favorite statements:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJWoody View Post
The coronal mass ejection is directed at Earth and moving at about 3.1 million mph (5 million kph), SDO mission scientists said in a statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJWoody View Post
"It is somewhat unique because at many places in the eruption there seems to be even cooler material —at temperatures less than 80,000 Kelvin," SDO scientists explained.

A temperature of 80,000 Kelvin is about 143,540 degrees Fahrenheit (nearly 79,727 degrees Celsius).
The sun's corona typically has temperatures ranging from 900,000 degrees F (500,000 degrees C) to 10.8 million degrees F (6 million degrees C). It can reach tens of millions of degrees when a solar flare occurs.
I'll remember this the next time I use the terms "fast" or "hot"

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:41   #33
Kai
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post
This is his base concern, a coronal mass ejection or CME which involves electromagnetic radiation. So I figured this might like an EMP and thus asked the question because I didn't yet know what a CME was.
A geomagnetic storm caused by solar wind or a CME can produce ground-induced currents that can affect electronics in a way that's similar to the E3 component of an EMP (described in The Reaper's post) -- so yes, there are similarities. The main practical difference is that ground-induced currents are more likely to damage objects that are connected to things that can become effective antennas (such as transformers that are attached to power lines). As with lightning protection, the first step to protect your equipment is to not have it plugged into the wall, even if it's switched off.

A few things I can add to what others have already said about general protection against EMP:

EMP is similar to a sudden and powerful burst of static electricity.

Make sure what you're trying to protect does not have power applied in any way. For example, remove all batteries, including the usual button battery for the PC clock. A pulse can cause massive internal short circuiting, and the current from the battery can end up doing more damage than the pulse itself. Disconnecting antennas or wires that might start acting like antennas is also prudent.

Certain batteries can be damaged by an EMP, and should be protected accordingly.

Quote:
Any commo guys tracking the predicted upcoming sun cycles?
There seems to be a debate at the moment in the solar forecast community as to whether we're in the process of going into another (premature) sunspot minimum, or whether the current dip is temporary and the sun will reach a new and substantial peak in activity within the next 12 to 24 months. The dip is very unusual, so many are leaning toward the former, but who knows? You can monitor the current activity at:

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
This is a better technical explanation than I can provide.
I used to work for one of the authors of the report you posted. Small world.
Old 09-14-2014, 18:00   #34
mugwump
Area Commander

This guy actually tests one of the most commonly-recommended Faraday cages--a steel garbage can with a tight fitting lid. Without taping the seam between the lid and can, this method is found to be ineffective. Aluminum tape fixes the problem. Good info in the comments regarding grounding your Faraday cage as well (in some situations it hurts more than it helps). Faraday Cage Testing and slot antenna effects

“Klaatu barada nikto”
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:33   #35
Gold Eagle
Guerrilla

Thanks. I came a lookin' for EMP proof devices that are "proven" to work. Some links not working or unavailable. Any new info would be helpful as there are several articles on the 'net but which ones really work?
Gold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 16:05   #36
Gold Eagle
Guerrilla

I did find the following: http://disasterpreparer.com/emp-bags/

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ur+bradley+emp
Gold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 23:29   #37
Volunteer
Asset

Quote:
Question after my cursory search didn't come up with much...

Does anyone know of an EMP proof box that a laptop would fit in?

I'm asking on behalf of friend who is a radio station manager.
Hello Bill.

The trick (as I understand it) is blocking voltage/current potential.
Here's what I'd recommend, several layers; each large enough to completely encase:
Layer-1: Thin, non-conductive bag.
Layer-2: Copper fabric bag, material linked below.
Layer-3: Thin, non-conductive bag.
Layer-4: RF-tight box, metal ammo box with cable braid to bond lid to box.

What you then have is a portable Faraday cage. If this were commo gear of any sort you'd also want all connectors and inputs shorted as anything causing a differential voltage potentially leads to the death of the device.

https://www.amazon.com/SHIELDED-NICK.../dp/B00MNOALUK

V/R, Volunteer
Volunteer is offline   Reply With Quote