Old 09-18-2016, 05:44   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
18C's, 18E's, and PC Geeks??

Opine...

Anyone installed one of these outlets?
Brand? Model?

Quote:

4 Amp High Speed Double USB Charger Ports - With Smart Chip Technology + 2 Standard 15A Tamper Resistant Receptacles. Bonus 2 Wall Plates - 2-Pack Value. White. by Smart Outlet

Dump Bulky, Heated Chargers and Power Strips

UL Certified Universal Smart Outlet - Just What You Need!

What More Do You Need?

- Compatible with USB 1.1/2.0/3.0 devices, including iPhones, iPads, Android and Windows phones, tablets, Samsung Galaxy, Samsung Note, Kindle, e-readers and almost every USB compatible product.

- Ideal for new builds, home use, contractors, coffee shops and dorms.

- More charging power than most airports, hotels, restaurants, schools, offices and hospitals.

- Satisfaction assured with money back guarantee.

- Vertical slots ensure easy USB access, even with both 115V outlets occupied.

For home-office, kitchen, bedroom or den. Easy, efficient charging. Side & rear wiring create space in electrical box. Receptacles have choice of 2 wall plates - plus hardware. May multi-gang with other devices, such as switches, receptacles and motion sensors.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D93Z8JW...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91Py+UgHIqL._SL1500_.jpg (89.3 KB, 49 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:23   #2
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Is tried another brand that claimed the same as this for the office. They worked but.... They would not charge our Apple devices at the same rate as the original chargers. They would keep them going but took about twice the time to get them charged.

Just my two cents on our attempt to get rid of chargers....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:14   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

With about 500 different kinds of cell phones and such on the current market I doubt you're going to find a "one size fits all" charging device.

There's billions in this gadget game and chargers are part of sales.

Stick with your charger for your device.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:37   #4
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

the Samsung charger charges all of my samsung devices as well as my apple stuff really quickly

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mob...p-ta20jweusta/
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 13:19   #5
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Just don't plug in your Samsung Galaxy Note 7 and leave it unattended!
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 14:25   #6
cedsall
Guerrilla

I wouldn't, not because it wouldn't be handy, but because the specifications for USB (including power) are still changing.

Here's a link to an article that gives background. http://www.extremetech.com/computing...our-smartphone

Installing these in your home is going to lock you into whatever standard(s) they support while the underlying technology is still changing. And there's no guarantee they support current USB power specifications.

If you don't mind slow charging or are planning to change them out every few years as the standards advance it might be worthwhile but as a technology investment it's probably best to stick with the chargers that came with your device.

Now... 97Charlie... there was an MOS!
--ZonieDiver
cedsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 15:05   #7
Oldrotorhead
Guerrilla Chief

I put one in the master bath and use it to charge an IPhone, IPad and or Kindle. I don't know if it is quicker or slower to charge these devices. If and when technology changes it is about $20 and 20 minutes to install a new one. I does take a bit more space in the electrical box you might have to clean up the wiring if it is a rats nest behind the outlet.
Old 09-18-2016, 16:54   #8
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Just don't plug in your Samsung Galaxy Note 7 and leave it unattended!
Better add the G7 and the G7 edge to that list.... Also do not use e rapid charge option. Right now Samsung is running around in circles to get an PR handle on this.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 17:37   #9
PSM
Area Commander

Samboom!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Samsung.jpg (146.5 KB, 56 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 13:16   #10
35NCO
Guerrilla

The problem is the amperage. People who manufacture chargers keep increasing the amps because high amp chargers charge faster. But, that's only when the phones circuit does not choke it's amperage. These new batteries offer awesome power and durability, but they are also always, and always have, been flirting with disaster. Oxygen or heat can make them explode quite easily.

So with these new outlets it might work fine. It might work the same. On some phones without amperage limiters, they may explode.
35NCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 15:54   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NCO View Post
The problem is the amperage. People who manufacture chargers keep increasing the amps because high amp chargers charge faster. But, that's only when the phones circuit does not choke it's amperage. These new batteries offer awesome power and durability, but they are also always, and always have, been flirting with disaster. Oxygen or heat can make them explode quite easily.

So with these new outlets it might work fine. It might work the same. On some phones without amperage limiters, they may explode.
In my case, it's all apple toys. I have my ipad and an older model for the G-kids, also my iphone.

I know of the power to heat curve.

I generally charge off a couple USB ports in the front of my desk-top. These are 3.0 ports and no heat problems, but the G-kids can run the ipads down to zero quickly with the games they play. Nothing stellar, just entry games for the 5-10 yr old..

I ordered a set, will report back when I get them installed and fired up..

Thanks for the replies..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote