Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Europe

Old 11-11-2009, 21:17   #16
CSB
Quiet Professional

But we're not that old

Story/Question:

My son asked me if I ever saw the Wall. I was in the FRG -- back when there was an FRG and a DDR -- at a little place called Bad Toltz in 1981, just on a short tour of 21 days from an unclassified middle east project. I wanted to go see the Wall, but i was told that SHAFE HQ had to approve all trips into East Germany if the tourist/soldier had a TS/SCI clearance. And I was told, the process would take weeks.

Anybody know if that was true, or just the S2's way of keeping me on Flint Kasern (not that I minded too much, since the ski season had just begun).
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 17:04   #17
Surf n Turf
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB View Post
Story/Question:

My son asked me if I ever saw the Wall. I was in the FRG -- back when there was an FRG and a DDR -- at a little place called Bad Toltz in 1981, just on a short tour of 21 days from an unclassified middle east project. I wanted to go see the Wall, but i was told that SHAFE HQ had to approve all trips into East Germany if the tourist/soldier had a TS/SCI clearance. And I was told, the process would take weeks.

Anybody know if that was true, or just the S2's way of keeping me on Flint Kasern (not that I minded too much, since the ski season had just begun).

CSB,
Don’t know about 1981, but in the 1960’s if you had such a clearance, you had get approval from your unit, take the “B” train to Berlin, register with Berlin Brigade S2, and as you were not permitted to go into the East Zone under any circumstances. You could visit in the Brits and the French areas. For exfil, again with Berlin Brigade S2, and the “B” train. There were a few MOS that were "travel restricted"(known prior to deployment to Europe), but as far as I remember, none specifically in the Special Forces area.
SnT

Democrats would burn down this country as long as they get to rule over the ashes

The FBI’s credibility was murdered by a sniper on Ruby Ridge; its corpse was burned to ashes outside Waco; soiled in a Delaware PC repair shop;. and buried in the basement of Mar-a-Lago..

Last edited by Surf n Turf; 11-15-2009 at 17:43. Reason: for cclarification
Surf n Turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 23:42   #18
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB View Post
i was told that SHAFE HQ had to approve all trips into East Germany if the tourist/soldier had a TS/SCI clearance. And I was told, the process would take weeks.Anybody know if that was true,.
It's why my dad stayed behind. As an FA officer, Dad had a TS. Heading into Communist territory and getting the "you'll have to be the 'man of the house' since I can't go" speech had a litle bit of an impact on me. At every Christmas dinner since, that trip is subtitled "when Bro Doz went nutso". "Hey", as Dad points out, "He brought you all back alive, didn't he?"
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:17   #19
CSB
Quiet Professional

Thank you for the information.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:30   #20
Richard
Quiet Professional

Being in the 50-5 program and holding a TS/SBI - we weren't permitted to travel to Berlin.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote