Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 06-01-2009, 14:34   #61
Electron
Guerrilla

Antennas

Since I got here in January 2009, I made over 100 antennas and showed over 30 people how to make them. I told them all about this site and asked them to voice their opinion...good or bad...about the antenna. Some said it works great for them and others said it is marginal. We will see if anyone downrange has any honest assessments about this antenna. I have a thick skin, if you have any negativity or any comments on room for improvement, this is the forum to say so. I will build some more models and work on the tuning and refine it some more...PLEASE give me some FEEDBACK!!!!
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:56   #62
BBCommo
Asset

Electron, I have been looking into your antenna and I am working on one myself. I am going off of your picture from the earlier pages, I think I shouldn't have a problem refabricating one to test myself. I'm pretty excited about this. I will give an update once it is complete.
BBCommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:13   #63
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

great

Good backup antenna Mike. Used it on a mountainside the other day smack dab in the armpit of the world- worked fine. I did however have to point it at the satellite and it would not work while on the ground facing up. Interesting propagation. Will be giving you a call next BAF trip.

Matt
Bechorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 19:50   #64
Amato
Quiet Professional

Is there anything that can be used in place of the BNC plug-to-red and black binding post connectors? I am having a hell of a time finding them in my current location.
“There’s only SF, there’s no SF equivalents. That’s idiocy. SEALs are not SF. MARSOC are not SF and SF are not SEALs. ... Those people who are throwing that [term] around certainly don’t understand what they’re talking about.”
Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:08   #65
BBCommo
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amato View Post
Is there anything that can be used in place of the BNC plug-to-red and black binding post connectors? I am having a hell of a time finding them in my current location.

i don't know if this helps or not, but my commo shop calls them "copperheads", and your commo shop should have them, or they have the ability to order them. I hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2009, 15:33   #66
Amato
Quiet Professional

Have a picture of what it may look like? As of right now I cannot order shit because I am in the SouthCom AOR.
“There’s only SF, there’s no SF equivalents. That’s idiocy. SEALs are not SF. MARSOC are not SF and SF are not SEALs. ... Those people who are throwing that [term] around certainly don’t understand what they’re talking about.”
Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 20:07   #67
HeavyDrop
Quiet Professional

Another Successful Rotation - FEEDBACK

Just completed another OEF rotation. Antenna performed great - again. Lightweight, easily replaceable. Worked dismounted and mounted. I just sent two more brand new 18Es over to find Mike for help with this antenna. The word is spreading.

This antenna was also used to lower the profile of our Non-tactical vehicles (i.e. Landrovers). Nothing says "ambush this truck" like a giant X-wing antenna.

Nothing against sexy, (pricey) antennas. But just try to put one of those expensive SAT antennas on your DSOR - it will be denied (unless you work in the CIF or someplace like that).
HeavyDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:50   #68
Electron
Guerrilla

BNC to Binding Post Connector

Here is a link to an electronics supplier with a picture of the connector you wanted.

http://www.mouser.com/Interconnects/...ectors&FS=True
Old 09-14-2009, 09:20   #69
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Binding Post

http://skycraftsurplus.com/

I got my binding post here, cost was $2.00 a piece.

BMT
Old 09-28-2009, 07:34   #70
Electron
Guerrilla

NSN

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=19986

There's also an NSN for it. This is a link to an earlier post.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:02   #71
USMCRonin
Asset

I'm gonna try my hand at constructing one of these this evening, and see how it works out. I'll let you guys know. Here is a picture of the "Copperhead" in question as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0047.JPG (140.6 KB, 201 views)
Old 05-13-2010, 19:28   #72
fitz0306
FTFSI

This sounds a lot like the Hathaway antenna? Any replies?
fitz0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:21   #73
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz0306 View Post
This sounds a lot like the Hathaway antenna? Any replies?
Yes.

Reread the board rules and stickies and comply before posting again.

That would include posting a proper intro and filling out your profile.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:19   #74
Electron
Guerrilla

Antenna

Fitz, yes it is that antenna.

I am working on a flat version of a SATCOM antenna, still in the experimental stage using various gauges of wire 30 AWG magnet wire, 26, 24, etc. When and if I make comms, I will post the success/failure here.

Someone told me about anoter expedient satcom antenna that looks like an ant's antennae. Has anyone else heard about this one? Does it work okay?
Old 11-02-2010, 02:36   #75
Fatum Me Ducat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post

Someone told me about anoter expedient satcom antenna that looks like an ant's antennae. Has anyone else heard about this one? Does it work okay?
i was talking to a signal chief just a few minutes ago and he mentioned that a sigdet guy in iraq was making making what he described as "rabbit ears". He said the guy was using some type of t connectors and heavy duty, rigid bare copper wire. said they werent very long either but they worked really well as a field expedient antenna. probably the same antenna as you've heard about by the way he described them.

I also did a preliminary test on your antenna today. i had to finger bang it a bit but i think it might work. instead of using any connectors at the end of the feed line into the antenna i soldered the thing together and taped it. i didn't have any rigid wire so i used the insulated core from the coax to actually make the antenna itself. i didn't attempt an actual voice comms check because the net was a little busy. i was reading around an idle -12 squelch on the display which bothered me a bit and had an average loopback rss of 130. i'm not sure if its just the pacom bird/channel we're on or something else but with a 2055, un-amplified i'm only getting a -20ish non tx/rx squlech with a loopback of 105. but, we're pushing data/voice with no problems so i guess i can live with that. anyway, i'm going to try and send some data and voice tomorrow and if that is successful i am going to try some tacsat on the move.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0217.jpg (63.0 KB, 262 views)
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true."
Fatum Me Ducat is offline   Reply With Quote