Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 07-08-2004, 11:15   #1
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief

Watching what you eat

Over the last few years I have watched the emergence of what I can only term as "health concious grocery stores" across the country, most notable being Whole Foods (www.wholefoods.com).

While I have always tried to maintain a healthy balance with the food that I eat I have noticed in the last few years I am more aware of what I am eating. Gone are the midnight runs to Taco Hell or Mickey D's and infact if we do stop at these places I am the guy in front of you ordering a plain chicken sandwhich and a diet coke. When we eat out we have certain restaurants that we frequent because we know they will have something on the menu to suit our diet. Applebee's is an example, they have rolled out the new weight watchers menu, which is suprisingly good.

We shop more healthy but not to the obsession that I have seen some people do. We try to plan for a balanced day with very few days of straying away. I admit, last night it was just myself and the youngest so I ordered a small pizza from Domino's. I had to laugh at myself, 5 years ago it would have been a large and I would have eaten the whole thing by myself. Last night it was 2 slices of a cheese pizza.

Looking back on how I ate as a 17 year old PVT versus what I eat today I would like to think that I made these decisions for myself but more for my family. To teach my children that just because it did not come from Mickey D's does not mean it is gross. It seems to be working for the oldest, but we are ever mindful of his perceptions. We would hate for him to think we are doing this because he is fat (he isn't but you never know what is going on in thier little heads).

How have your eating habits changed as you have grown older? Do you plan your grocery trip and meals around buying and making what is healthier for you and your family? I think when I say healthy I should also point out that it does not mean removing some of the favorites from the menu, but understanding moderation as part of the diet plan.

Or is this another "fad" that will go by the wayside?
Old 07-08-2004, 11:47   #2
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I no longer eat whatever I want. Still hanging on a low-carb, high-alcohol diet which I have discussed elsewhere.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:29   #3
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

I do my shopping once every 5-6 weeks, throw a couple of coolers in the back of the Blazer and head south to the closest commissary. I buy what we like, eat what we want, and figure that as I have gotten older life is too damn short to practice to be miserable. Now don't get me wrong, we eat well and when my wife can sneak up on me with the jaws of life and force my teeth ajar I will even eat a brussel sprout or two-but she has got to be quick. If I over indulge in anything it is probably red meat and cheese. No much danger of fast food up here. There is one McDonalds 4 miles away at the exit ramp off the Interstate and one of the 4 mom and pop stores in the area doubles as a Dunkin Donuts, and that is only if you can get there early and don't mind standing in line with a bunch of folks all scented up for being accepted by the critter that happens to be in season.

Jack Moroney
Old 07-08-2004, 12:45   #4
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

DAMN Sir-
It sounds like you live near my hunting camp. That is not meant derogatory, just a funny coincidence. I like rural areas...easier to spot "foreigners". LOL

Brew-
I became addicted to "wholefoods" chain stores when I spent 13 weeks in New Orleans at the hospital with my little ones. Fantastic store- especially the produce, cheese selection, and deli. Unfortunately, I don't have access to one closer to where I live .

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 07-08-2004 at 12:50.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:55   #5
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

I watch everything I eat to make sure it doesn't get away.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 13:50   #6
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
DAMN Sir-
It sounds like you live near my hunting camp. That is not meant derogatory, just a funny coincidence. I like rural areas...easier to spot "foreigners". LOL

Brew-
I became addicted to "wholefoods" chain stores when I spent 13 weeks in New Orleans at the hospital with my little ones. Fantastic store- especially the produce, cheese selection, and deli. Unfortunately, I don't have access to one closer to where I live .
We have 1 Whole Foods store here and it is about an hour from me. We shop there because they have a real butcher counter unlike the crap stores in my town where they order it pre packaged. The deli/cheese counter is excellent here as well and I am like a kid in the candy store when I am at it. They have real Prosciutto!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 13:55   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by brewmonkey
We have 1 Whole Foods store here and it is about an hour from me. We shop there because they have a real butcher counter unlike the crap stores in my town where they order it pre packaged. The deli/cheese counter is excellent here as well and I am like a kid in the candy store when I am at it. They have real Prosciutto!!!
I miss that old butcher shop we spoke about between LW and Lansing.

Man they had nice steaks!

What about the FLKS Comm? Don't they cut meat to order?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 14:03   #8
Bravo1-3
Guerrilla Chief

If you want to call it "watching what I eat", sure I can see it. Basically, I don't buy frozen foods or foods that can be kept for more than a week in the closet without going bad.

I buy fresh meats, fish and vegetables only. Pretty soon the wife is going to be starting a garden.

As for quantities, that's a whole different story. I eat. End of story. As Mr. Moroney put it, "Life is to short to practice to be miserable."

Good friends, good food, and good spirits are the top 3 items on my "simple pleasures" list. Anything else is not "Living", it's "Existing" in my opinion, and if I drop dead of a heart attack at 68 instead of 74, well... it was worth it.
Bravo1-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 14:35   #9
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Still hanging on a low-carb, high-alcohol diet which I have discussed elsewhere.
Yeah, those darned kidneys aren't really all that important.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 14:45   #10
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor
Yeah, those darned kidneys aren't really all that important.
Great for my liver too.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 14:48   #11
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
I miss that old butcher shop we spoke about between LW and Lansing.

Man they had nice steaks!

What about the FLKS Comm? Don't they cut meat to order?

TR
I am not sure but I know my parents drive up from Olathe to use it so I would be willing to bet they do.
Old 07-08-2004, 16:12   #12
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
DAMN Sir-
It sounds like you live near my hunting camp.
Actually the whole town is one big hunting camp during deer season. It does get amusing from time to time especially when the town decides to throw the annual Christmas Fanatasy Parade consisting of numerous riders and horse drawn carriages on the first day of muzzle loading season. You see the town is real small and to make sure that the parade runs longer than 5 minutes it sort of takes laps around the village center to make it look like a real show. This route takes it past the towns only watering hole where all the good ole boys have been since noon pissing and moaning over all the reasons why they missed the big one. Nothing different here, right! Wrong!! You see because this is a Christmas Fanatasy Parade they deck out all the horses with antlers to look like reindeer. Now picture Otis, Azel and the boys, that did not have great vision before the half a keg they have since downed , in the bar looking out the window seeing all these large antlered critters strolling by stumbling to get up and retrieve their weapons from their pickemups.

Jack Moroney
Old 07-09-2004, 13:22   #13
myclearcreek
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Moroney
There is one McDonalds 4 miles away at the exit ramp off the Interstate and one of the 4 mom and pop stores in the area doubles as a Dunkin Donuts, and that is only if you can get there early and don't mind standing in line with a bunch of folks all scented up for being accepted by the critter that happens to be in season.

Jack Moroney

Out here in the woods, there is one 100+ year old store that has semi-cold "pop", a little gasoline and diesel, a little atmosphere, but not much else. The next two closest fast food establishments are sixteeen and thirty-five miles away, thank God. Deer graze with the horses here.

When I was young, I ate like a field hand. Biscuits, gravy, and eggs with bacon, ham, or sausage for breakfast...AFTER the chores. Lunch at the school cafeteria, which was run by farmers wives, so wasn't too bad based on what they had to work with. Supper/dinner was a lot like breakfast with steak (pan-fried or chicken-fried) or fried chicken or hamburger steaks with a vegetable or so just because. My brother and I made homemade milkshakes every day in the Summer to cool off. I was slender as a willow and never sat still. Fresh fruit was right there at home, so we ate those in season, usually right off the tree/vine.

Now, I am conscious of my choices, rarely fry foods, and eat more grilled chicken than beef. I still prefer beef to chicken, however. Since the opening of a seafood shop thirty-five miles away, I sometimes have salmon filet. Lots of veggies, cooked a variety of ways, and fresh fruit.
myclearcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 13:24   #14
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by myclearcreek
Out here in the woods, there is one 100+ year old store that has semi-cold "pop", a little gasoline and diesel, a little atmosphere, but not much else. The next two closest fast food establishments are sixteeen and thirty-five miles away, thank God. Deer graze with the horses here.

Windthorst??
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 13:39   #15
myclearcreek
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Air.177
Windthorst??
No. I will PM you.
myclearcreek is offline   Reply With Quote