Old 05-22-2013, 07:51   #1081
Rob69
Asset

Intoduction

I am retired Army with a son in the Q Course. If things go as planned he will graduate this summer, and I'm considering a tomahawk for a graduation gift.

I would appreciate your feedback on the following questions:

1. do you consider a tomahawk to be a practical and necessary tool for the job ahead?

2. would it permissible or advisable to have the SF crest or a quote engraved on it?

I have read the previous threads on graduation gifts, but my question was not addressed.

Any guidance you can give on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:03   #1082
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Welcome All,, Use the search function and read the message.
Search for Garcia, by The Reaper..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob69 View Post
I would appreciate your feedback on the following questions:

1. do you consider a tomahawk to be a practical and necessary tool for the job ahead?

2. would it permissible or advisable to have the SF crest or a quote engraved on it?

Thanks
Rob Pls repost your question in the edge weapons area..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 19:30   #1083
zr.despain
Asset

I have been in the Air Force for 5 years as Security Forces, deployed to Kandahar, Balad, and now currently at Bagram. I have always wanted to do the more High Speed things in my current Job but never had the opportunity because those are rare spots in my large career field. I was lucky to do OPFOR for some ODA's in Jordan last year and I was very impressed with what I saw. I have always yearned to go for TACP or similar type jobs. My contract is up at the end of this year and I think that NGSF is the right fit for me. I look forward to starting the process.
zr.despain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:35   #1084
RuLess
SF Candidate

ahlan wa sahlan

Cheers,

X-ray candidate waiting for a ship date out early fall. Finished college, studied Arabic & traveled throughout the region extensively. Looking forward to applying the language and seeing the culture from a different angle.

Ideally, would like to land a medic slot within the 10th. Been studying Swahili heavily and looking to move on to French before the training begins.

Any advice/encouragement is greatly appreciated..

-Ru
Old 05-23-2013, 14:10   #1085
kidschol
Asset

Hello and Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Make your first post here:
Hello,

My name is Todd S. I am a "Cold War Vet" MP/95-B 1979-82 & a Military Brat of my fathers 23 yrs Active Army CWO. Some duty of my duty assignments & posts: Ft McClellan-Basic & MP School. Ft Meade-519th MP BN, Wash D.C. Security Detail, Pres. Reagan Innauguration,Riot Control,White Hat Duty etc.. Ft Story/Littlecreek,Va-Naval Amphib School. Ft Indiantown Gap,Pa-1980 Cuban Refugee Crisis (what a mess that was) This is an example of 1: We were ordered from Carter Admin. No firearms (45's-M16 etc). Use of Riot Bataans only!! Thats when many a Cubano started climbing over the 10-12' foot fence enclosure w/minimal Barbed Wire atop. Shortly after that I was given orders B-Batt 2/56 ADA 32nd AADCOM USAREUR.
Physical Security "TowerRat" Detach Nike-Herc Site in Landau,W. Germany 1981-83.
Experiences there were "Life Changing" some good, some not. 1983 ETS'd Ft Dix,Nj
Began College,joined MP Reserve unit & later a Nat'l Guard Co.

But I am here primarily regarding my fathers career and hopefully to find others on this site who may of crossed paths w/him. His Timeline snapshot- began in 1952 Korea-Ended -1975 Retired. He wore many hats during his career. Starting with 101st - then Artillery-Engineers-Spanish Instructor (La Paz, Bolivia '65-67)-Warrant Officer School-2 tours SE Asia- Ended - AIT Engineer Instructor Ft Belvoir,Va..
Enough for now!
Thanx to all. Cheers!
kidschol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 23:05   #1086
PennState24
SF Candidate

18x

Hello,
I just enlisted last week as an 18X shipping out on September 9th. I just graduated 2 weeks ago from Penn State with a degree in Criminal Justice and an extensive Arabic course load. I hope to learn as much as possible in order to prepare myself both mentally and physically for the challenges that await. Any help would be extremely grateful

Thank You
Gerry McGowan
PennState24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:43   #1087
bassbuckeye
Asset

Hello

I was a 37F (Psyop SGT) and my 3 man team supported an ODA in OEF/OIF 03......it was an unbelievable experience for me as a young man and I learned a lot in a short amount of time with those guys. Currently I am living the easy life as a financial crimes investigator in the private sector and I stumbled upon this site while investigating getting back in via the Guard. Mostly I will just lurk this site waxing nostalgia...interested in reading stories and I guess hopeful I might find out what some of those 5th group guys I was with may be doing these days (shot in the dark)....thanks
bassbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:01   #1088
Essayons4Us
Asset

New Guy

Hello my name is SGT Brown. I am currently preparing to attend SFAS upon my return from deployment. I really should have attended after my last deployment. The desire to be challenged and serve the Army on a higher scale drives me daily to work hard as I can to achieve the honor and privladge of becoming a Green Beret. It is nice to know there is a site like this out there to reference also individuals who are working to reach the same goal. Thanks for sharing all this knowledge and advice.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:30   #1089
fizicks
Asset

I am a long time lurker of these boards; great information here. A little bit about myself. I've been in the Army for 6 years, 4 active and currently in the guard. Deployed for OEF IX with 1ID as an 11B. Currently in transition to another career field to do bigger and better things and hope to one day work with some of you.
fizicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:21   #1090
Dangit574
Asset

Hello

I have lurked here for a few months until I noticed that the loss of an old friend was not posted. So I decided to sign up to do just that. Since then and with the 72 hr wait, I have surfed much more of this site and am going to be here for a while. I mostly read and listen so won't post much, unless I have something relevant to add. I am retired SF, 13 yrs in the 5th SFG(A) 1990-2003.
Dangit574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:59   #1091
bandaidbrand
Asset

Hello all. I'm mostly just browsing looking for good advice for selection... got off active duty about a year ago and am going stir crazy.
bandaidbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:58   #1092
Zbonta
Asset

Not SF and do not plan to be but I respect the line of work and value the knowledge that can be gathered from the vast collective experience available on the board. Thank you all for service.
Zbonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:29   #1093
saquanem
Asset

Introduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Make your first post here:
Professional Soldiers,

I am active duty currently stationed in Ft. Lewis but OCONUS at the moment. I have in roughly 2.5 years. I been on the fast track with my career due to the great NCOs that have been bestowed upon me. Civilian educational wise I studied at La Roche College for 2 year majoring in International Affairs and Minoring in Spanish. Military wise I am a air assault, combatives instructor and some other things. My current goal is to prepare myself physically and mentally for the challenges SFAS has for me.

Thank you for you time.
saquanem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:57   #1094
aussie
Asset

G'day from Downunder

Hey Y'all,

I'm Aussie from Downunder. Am a current Officer in the Australian Army Reserve. I'm training for Commando Selection here, which is similiar to your SFAS. We don't have such a forum in Oz, and there is some great advice to be found on this site (similar course).

I've read "Get Selected for SF", I've also memorised the Ranger Creed! Not bad for an Aussie hey? Good mental preparation.

My biggest hurdle will be passing selection at my ripe old age of 41. I have done the AIT here in Oz and been in training now for 2 years, as well as being an officer for 8, so I'm not fresh off the street. Reaper, yes, I've read your comments and opinion of older guys going for selection. I still think I can add value and give back another 15 - 20 years if selected.

In terms of fitness, I would currently score 290 for my age group on your APFT (82 PU, 100 SU and 2 mile in 14:00min).

De oppreso Liber !

Last edited by aussie; 05-27-2013 at 07:25.
aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 22:19   #1095
OWNQ
Asset

Hello

Being a member of PS for almost 2 years now and just now realizing I did not make an introduction yet. So far I have enjoyed the in depth discussions and topics covered by very experienced professionals. And I look forward to many more insightful and informative threads.
OWNQ is offline   Reply With Quote