Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 09-17-2005, 17:57   #46
safeasmilk
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Your definition is correct.

However, boots with GoreTex tend to be hot, as the membrane does not pass moisture out as fast as feet produce it while humping in the field, and if you step in water over the tops, they will fill up and not drain easily.

TR
Thanks for explaining that.I never realized that Gore-Tex boots would be hotter.
Old 09-29-2005, 21:49   #47
rnk779
Asset

Thumbs up Bates boots - tropical durashocks, good boots

I've had a pair(4 years, yeah the same well worn, world traveling pair) of E00924 Men's Bates DuraShocks® 8" Tropical, http://www.batesfootwear.com/Catalog...Type=undefined
The sole is really tough, the upper is canvas/cordra. I have more boots, goretex lined as well, than Imelda Marcos has shoes, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/1173911.stm, these are my choice to take to the field. The steel toe has saved me a couple of times from having a heavy equipment case squish my toes. They dry fast and pack into small spaces. Have I mentioned they are comfortable. I work mostly in hot climates, these might not be great for cold weather. Needless to say when I heard a had an upcoming all expense paid government trip to the desert I ordered the desert version. The Sportsman guide website had them on sale, $59 and fast shipment. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=140681
I don't get a kickback from any of the companies mentioned, these are just my experiences. Semper Gumby, stay flexible.
rnk779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:13   #48
akj1601
FTFSI

Are the Bates M-9 Assault boots allowed at SFAS? Has anyone used the 8" tropicals by Bates?
akj1601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:04   #49
Razor
Quiet Professional

Let this one be, folks; I'll handle it.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 14:48   #50
akj1601
FTFSI

Razor put me in my place and I apologize for wasting space with this dumb-ass question. The search button is a wonderful thing.
akj1601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:36   #51
Shark Bait
Quiet Professional

Found em here (http://www.botac.com/baasbo1.html) for $79.95 with free shipping.
Old 10-18-2005, 13:01   #52
Shark Bait
Quiet Professional

Damn, looks like my CSM thinks they're too sporty to wear with a uniform. Oh well.
Old 10-18-2005, 14:46   #53
longtab
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj1601
Are the Bates M-9 Assault boots allowed at SFAS? Has anyone used the 8" tropicals by Bates?
Interested in SFAS? Call the recruiter and go. I was in Selection within two weeks of casting a shadow on the doorstep of the SF recruiter's office. He'll give you the approved "latest & greatest" SFAS packing list as you complete the SFAS packet... I wouldn't be concerned if a particular boot is allowed or not. Boots don't make the man... plain old jungle boots have been worn on quite a few feet of SFAS Selectees.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~ George Orwell
longtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 21:16   #54
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattaya
I just ran a pair through the dirt, catus, and rocks in the NM desert for about a week acting in an OPFOR capacity. (bought them from Botach - online) Great vibram soles !! Overall, I would buy another pair.

Mr. 'P':

I was impressed by the original posts on this boot so bought a pair a couple weeks ago through Onlineshoes.com.

I think Bates is on to something with these boots. I can't take any type of insulated boot unless the temp goes below freezing and was worried that these boots would cause too much sweat in temps over forty and rain. However I have been wearing them almost daily for the last week in temps in the mid 50s - 60s with rain and have found them to actually be decent in terms of coolness.

I took a pretty decent tree down by my house over the weekend so abused them considerably with no ill effect. I did note after nine hours of tree removal and splitting that my quads felt like I had done a very heavy squat and dead lift work out. Very unusual for me. I think there is something to a fellows post about them being hard on the legs in terms of balance. Their soles are rugged and quite soft at the same time. Seems my legs are having to move quite a bit to keep balance due to the cushoning of the heel part of these boots and I think this may have something to do with my quads being sore.

However, my feet, knees, and back are so screwed up that any boot that allows me to stay on my feet for ten or twelve hours straight without causing agony in my feet, knees, and back is pretty good IMHO. I finished a nine hour day on a range today without one iota of agony so I am pretty happy with them.

I found the size to be absolutely perfect and they support high arches quite well in fact. My feet wll swell when they get hot so I need boots that may be a bit wider than medium and with round toes. These Bates boots are well designed for my dogs.

I am also surprised at the light weight of these particular boots. They don't make a sound when wet and moving across smooth surfaces. Very innovative. No more embarrassing moments squeeking away while walking across polished floors.

Oh yes, I stepped in a pile of relatively fresh dog ---- with them today so was able to evaluate the ability of the tread to clean out easily. They seem to 'throw' mud like substances pretty efficiently and rinse off with water quite easily. Lugged soles that throw mud or mud like substances indicates good design IMHO.

I am pretty impressed with these boots. May have taken the Army 200 plus years but perhaps they found something for the dogs that actually works.

Gene
Gene Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 22:17   #55
longtab
Quiet Professional

Talking

Oh man... I just got my new Danner Desert Acadia's extra broke in, I have my Oakley's (2 pr), and Group keeps issuing us the ACU boot likes it going outta style. So now I'm gonna have to order a pair of these and give the old torture test too? Whaddaya think Razor? Test 'em on Bar Camp Trail after a couple Incline iterations?

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~ George Orwell
longtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 23:48   #56
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

For extreme cold weather I'd go for these http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/p.../0/item/103676

Anyway's these boots, are good for extreme mountaineering, crampon compatible, plus they have a liner, which if it gets wet, you can pull it out of your boot, and put it in your sleeping bag, to dry. Then the next morning, knock the ice off the outer boot, and put on your dry liners. But they are pretty pricey, so only worth it, if you are going to use them alot.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:20   #57
Shark Bait
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Tab
For extreme cold weather I'd go for these http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/p.../0/item/103676
$515 for boots?? Ouch! I think I'll go with the Bates for $79.95 from Botach.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:06   #58
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait
$515 for boots?? Ouch! I think I'll go with the Bates for $79.95 from Botach.
Like I said, only worth it if you use them alot, or you convince your unit to buy them.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 12:36   #59
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I wore issued jungles 99% of my career. They wore like iron, dried in no time, and in my opinion they were great to fight (kick and stomp) with. The only down side was I remember was when I worked a staff job they were hard on your legs/feet when constantly on concrete or tile surfaces.

$515 for boots, not in this life time.

TS
Old 10-19-2005, 13:06   #60
Guy
Quiet Professional

For the last three years...this is what I've been wearing.

Take care.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote