Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 06-26-2004, 09:24   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
Once more, I didn't think of the easy answer. Sometimes one may not wish to draw that much attention to their artistic endeavors.
Sorry, Sir.

I keep forgetting that you are a college educated artistic logger.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:25   #17
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Point taken. Well done. I like the old guy who wanted to take the test on paper.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:31   #18
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Sorry, Sir.

I keep forgetting that you are a college educated artistic logger.

TR
It took a lot of logging to pay for college, including working winter and spring breaks in the woods. I'd get done with finals one day and be in the woods 200 miles away the following morning.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:42   #19
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
It took a lot of logging to pay for college, including working winter and spring breaks in the woods. I'd get done with finals one day and be in the woods 200 miles away the following morning.

Good on ya', brother!

We appreciate things we earn much more than things that are given to us.

Which was harder, the finals, or the logging?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 06-26-2004, 09:49   #20
Kyobanim

If you're looking for zoom quality then go for a larger optical zoom. Once you go into digital zoom your pic quality goes down. You can take a pic that was taken with 3x optical and blow it up with something like photoshop and it will look 100% better than a 10X digital zoom.

What TR said, What do you want to do with it? He pretty much nailed everything that would be important. I forgot about the battery power issue.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:05   #21
DDD
Quiet Professional

I'm using a Canon S400 with a 1 gig card (extreme overkill) and love it. The digital zoom does affect picture quality, but only for large prints. The canon is very easy to operate you can teach a pig to use it in a couple minutes.
DDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:11   #22
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Good on ya', brother!

We appreciate things we earn much more than things that are given to us.

Which was harder, the finals, or the logging?

TR
Logging, finals couldn't kill ya.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:12   #23
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally posted by DDD
I'm using a Canon S400 with a 1 gig card (extreme overkill) and love it. The digital zoom does affect picture quality, but only for large prints. The canon is very easy to operate you can teach a pig to use it in a couple minutes.
That's the one I'm going to look at.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:21   #24
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Want to do I want to do with it:

1. Needs to be small enough where I won't mind carrying it daily in a jacket or vest. Also not attract a lot of attention.
2. Shots - Training ops, security surveys, gear shots, kid shots, PP presentations
3. The photos need to be of relatively high quality for the presentations and surveys.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:30   #25
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Want to do I want to do with it:

1. Needs to be small enough where I won't mind carrying it daily in a jacket or vest. Also not attract a lot of attention.
2. Shots - Training ops, security surveys, gear shots, kid shots, PP presentations
3. The photos need to be of relatively high quality for the presentations and surveys.
1. Point and shoot only then.

2. Would prefer something with at least 5x optical zoom and standard batteries.

3. 3-4MP, adequate, IMHO.

Will do some research.

TR

Old 06-26-2004, 11:06   #26
DDD
Quiet Professional

Using regular batteries is a plus, but all the cameras that I have seen that use them (I haven't seen that many) go thru about 1 set a day. These were older cameras, so the problem may be corrected by now. I have access to power everyday to recharge my batteries (always have a spare) so rechargables work fine for me. BTW if you go with rechargable batteries stick with OEM for your camera, all my aftermarket batteries failed.
DDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 11:34   #27
whizit
Asset

Water resistant

For what it's worth, I have owned both the Olympus Stylus 300 and 410. These models are resistant to water. I have used in the rain with no faults. The rechargeable batteries seemed fine for me. I shot 124 photos over 5 days before battery died on a vacation trip last year. I haven't checked if it can use regular batteries. It uses the xD card for expansion.

These cameras are point and shoot. It takes about 1-2 seconds to be able to shoot photo. Also camera size is nice, I carried it around in a vest pocket.

3x optical zoom.

Last edited by whizit; 06-26-2004 at 11:55.
whizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 11:51   #28
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

NDD:

Thanks for starting this thread.

I thought I wanted the Fuji S5000, but reading reviews for a few hours has changed my mind.

If you can get by with a 3MP camera, this is the absolute best one I have found. Even allows real VGA video captures at 30fps. 10x optical zoom and a stabilized lens, AA batteries, Compact Flash media or MicroDrives up to 4GB, tons of features, very compact package, about $400.

Not much bigger then the compact Fuji 2600 I am using now, even fits in the same case. Will fit well in a 5.11 pocket.

Canon PowerShot S1 IS, 4.4 x 3.1 x 2.6 in. 35.5 cu. in. 370g

Helllloooo, birthday gift!!!

TR

Old 06-26-2004, 13:16   #29
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
NDD:

This is a little like someone asking what kind of gun you recommend without knowing who they are or what they want to do with it.

What do you want to do with it? That will drive a recommendation. Drop in a pocket to take quick snapshots, take surveillance photos, clandsestine photography, publish pics, what? The 5MB Canon S500 is very sexy and compact, like Sofia, but probably overkill for a pocket camera, and makes the camera much more expensive than the older lower res Canon S400. High maintenance, anyone?

I would go with a less expensive $200-$300 model till you see what you really like/dislike.

If you get the S500, get a 256 MB card, and at least one spare battery at $45 each.

Some reviews to read. Look for the comparisons, or just decide what you need the camera for and look for recommendations on the sites.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_PowerS...2.html?tag=top

http://www.photoxels.com/canon_s500_execSummary.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s500.html

http://www.megapixel.net/cgi-bin/fs_...00-review.html

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04020906canon3ucs.asp

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1581455,00.asp

Bottom line on the S500 from some of the reviews:

What I liked:

Very good photo quality
Small, beautiful metal body
Very fast performance
Good burst modes (esp. the S500)
AF-assist lamp
VGA movie mode (S500 only), although limited compared to competition
Excellent bundle
Optional underwater case
What I didn't care for:

Redeye
Flimsy plastic doors over battery/memory card compartments
Sluggish frame rates, recording time limits in movie mode
Scene modes would be nice

Pros:
Compact size; sharp images; excellent battery life

Cons:
Heavy; some flash shots overexposed; menus can be confusing

Bottom line:
The Canon PowerShot S500 Digital Elph is easy to slip in a pocket, like an ultracompact, but this 5-megapixel 3X optical zoom camera brings a lot more shooting power with it. Sharp pictures and excellent battery life make this camera a solid choice.

Editors' rating: 7.4 Good

User rating: 83% 17% from 42 users

The good: Attractive and functional design; pleasing photos.

The bad: Small LCD; blur on the frame's left side.

What's it for: Taking 5-megapixel photos and capturing VGA (640x480) video clips.

Who's it for: Snapshot photographers who want an ultracompact camera.

Essential Extras: A CompactFlash Type I card with a capacity of at least 128MB.

The bottom line: Though the S500 is a respectable pocket snapshot camera, its performance and its feature set make it seem creaky next to the competition.

HTH.

TR
I have this one. Haven't had it long enough to give much feedback, but I liked it enough to get it. The movie feature is really cool for sending movies of kids over the Internet. The size is really ideal.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 13:32   #30
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

NDD,

Everyone has said get a big memory stick, but something I haven't seen anyone mention yet is that once your memory stick is out of the camera it very fragile and can be erased just like a floppy disk. So swaping memory sticks is not recommended for field use. Get a big stick and leave it in the camera.

Just my .02 cents
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote