Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 05-22-2014, 17:54   #16
sleepyhead4
Quiet Professional

There are plenty of chaplains in SF Groups who are not nor have ever been SF qualified. I can remember two in 1st SFG(A) recently who were only airborne qualified.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun" Bruce Campbell a.k.a Ash
sleepyhead4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 18:54   #17
Richard
Quiet Professional

Is there still some sort of staff orientation course now that the SF Tab is in place?

Back when, most of the MI/AG/MC/VC/CH/MSC ffolkes went to the staff orientation course (something like 9 weeks IIRC) which prepared them to serve in SF in a support position and wear the full flash BUT did not prepare them to be an ODA CDR.

And then there were always a number of guys that had been SF NCOs prior to graduating OCS or ROTC and came back to Group in all sorts of branch affiliations to serve either in their primary or secondary branch specialty.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 19:40   #18
PRB
Quiet Professional

At least when I was at the Tng Gp we stopped 'visitor' SF qual non SF branched attendee's.
I can't see the bang for the buck.
A Chaplain, of any religion, is there to mentor OUR troops not the indig and being SF Qualified doesn't make him a whit better at his job.
He is not going to interface with the indig in an SF manner as that is not his gig...in any way, shape, form.
I appreciated the prior enlisted SF guys that went Chap corps etc. but it didn't make me respect them any more/less in their new job.
It was irrelevant.
For every non branched guy going thru there was one less team guy.
That goes against what the Tng Gp stands for.
How many hundreds of thousands of dollars goes to each attendee...and we need to waste that for an I've been there certificate that pays no dividends.
No.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 21:28   #19
Chaplain Scott
Asset

Very few Chaplains are allowed to attend either Ranger school or the Q course. Over the years, the policies change back and forth. Back when I was Group Chaplain for 1st Group ('84-''86) the policy was "Don't even ask." I submitted numerous requests anyway, all of which mysteriously got lost at the Chief of Chaplain's office in one particular office. Then a few years later, a Chaplain friend of mine went thru Ranger school and another Chaplain friend went thru the Q course. Then things tightened back up again. Luck of the draw.

The reality here is that part of the issue is indeed, as was pointed out, finances and slots. The assignment pattern for Chaplains, as they progress in rank means that Chaplains very infrequently get back to the Special Ops community--there are just not that many positions available as you move up thru the rank structure compared to the rest of the conventional Army.

The other part of the issue is that as young Chaplains, there is a great internal push to "fit in" and have the correct badges on the uniform. With maturity, comes the understanding that its not what I wear on my uniform, but who I am in my heart and character that make me truly approachable and useful. AH, but that maturity---its often hard to attain and it often comes with great lumps and bruises..........
Chaplain Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:40   #20
spottedmedic111
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSalsa View Post
I know Pete Hofman. He is an ordained Chaplin that attended the SFQC, he is not an 18A. Occasionally, (I am not sure of the numbers or the pathway) SWCS allows support officers to attend the 18A pipeline.

The primary reason is to enable the person to provide better support to the Special Forces Regiment. I believe Pete said it best in the article “The type of men I am around . . . judge a book by its cover. The way they do this is by your uniform. With the Ranger tab and Special Forces tab I enter their brotherhood,” he explained. “When they need someone to turn to they can say, ‘This guy understands me.’”

I have seen this done with Veterinarians before too. To be clear, he will never serve on an ODA or command Special Forces units. He is a Chaplin and will probably spend the rest of his career supporting SF.
Yea, Pete (CPT Hofman) and I deployed together in 2012 and he's been talking about earning his tab for years. And he's not the first I've had. My Chaplain (I forget his name) in 1/1 SFG(A) earned his tab while serving as a Chaplain in the early '90s. The program has been around a while.

Last edited by spottedmedic111; 06-19-2014 at 09:21.
spottedmedic111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 15:59   #21
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Mr. Spock, what's your take on this?
I find it fascinating, Jim. Although the logic escapes me.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 19:59   #22
Sinister
Quiet Professional

We had many, many different support branch officers qualified through the SF Detachment Officer Qualification Course in the mid-80s through the early 90s. Although they could be awarded a tab and the identifier they remained in their own branch (chaplains, docs, veterinarians, dentists, etc.) and wore their basic branch brass (crosses, caduceus, etc.).

They do NOT "Steal" a quota or slot from NCOs -- they will never become an 18B, C, D, E, F, or 180A.

DOD GWOT policy has been to rotate units overseas on short tours -- they have NOT PCS-planted a group flag forward which may or may not have required MOS-qual'ed other branch officers. Most officer management program restrictions from the Cold War seem to have gone away, others just got worse.

Having jump wings seems to still be the common denominator for being able to divert an MD to serve as the Group Surgeon / Dive Surgeon / Flight Surgeon, or one of the other branch officers into SMU, Group, and Battalion-level staff positions (dentist, vet, SIGO, Comptroller, etc.). We had a number who served as jumpmasters, one who was MFF-qualified, and a few others who some time during their careers went through Ranger school.

Padres had to have special permission/dispensation to carry a weapon through the course (since they are non-combatants per Geneva-Hague).

While they certainly looked odd with the cross on the collar they still had a long tab and occasionally a star or wreath on their wings.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 00:35   #23
JwRip
Quiet Professional

There was a Chaplain going through the course a couple of classes ago. He said they are letting one or two a year go through the course. He did well.

Prior to putting this guy through I had only met a couple of Chaplains that reclassified after serving in Group for a number of years.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:47   #24
Box
Quiet Professional

Some of you certainly must remember Chaplain Dennington.
Of course I think he started as an SF Officer and then later became a chaplain.
Awesome dude.

I've seen quite a few long tab Padres in my day, but without a doubt, Chaplain Dennington and Chaplain Hoffman are the two best.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:35   #25
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
Some of you certainly must remember Chaplain Dennington.
Of course I think he started as an SF Officer and then later became a chaplain.
Awesome dude.

I've seen quite a few long tab Padres in my day, but without a doubt, Chaplain Dennington and Chaplain Hoffman are the two best.
Neil Dennington was an SF NCO who ran recon and was awarded a Silver Star.

He went on to become a chaplain later in his career.

An outstanding chaplain, NCO, and officer.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote