Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Fur

Old 05-22-2014, 01:41   #1
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Bullet performance

Returned from an impromptue two-day hunt last night. I shot a "Poor Mans Buffalo" a Wilderbeest at 156 yds with a 300 gr bullet of locally manufactured PMP ammo.
Shot placement was just behind the shoulder, which minimises meat damage, and the animal bolted 20 yes before expiring. I was pleasantly surprised at the 98% weight retained. The bullet was founf just under the skin on the far side. Two ribs broken and zero meat damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mikes bullet.jpg (116.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Mike & Beest.jpg (172.3 KB, 79 views)
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:41   #2
SFOC0173
Auxiliary

Usable Meat

How much usable meat do you get from a Wilderbeest? White-tailed deer, depending on shot placement, is between 30% - 40%.
SFOC0173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:20   #3
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFOC0173 View Post
How much usable meat do you get from a Wilderbeest? White-tailed deer, depending on shot placement, is between 30% - 40%.
This one, which was not huge gave 87Kg or 191 Lbs without head, feet or innards.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:28   #4
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Wow. I would never guess that animal would give that much meat. Do you count any organs like the heart, liver, etc?

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:01   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Very nice!

(I presently live in the wrong area of the world for hunting/fishing.)

Please submit your "Wilderbeest" recipes with pictures to the "Gourmet Guerrilla" when you've prepared them!
Old 05-22-2014, 12:41   #6
craigepo
Quiet Professional

That bullet did pretty well.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 14:15   #7
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Wow. I would never guess that animal would give that much meat. Do you count any organs like the heart, liver, etc?
No organs counted in. The Wilderbeest has massive and heavy bones compared to normal antelope. I will publish a pic of the dressed carcass when the farmers sends it to me.
Old 05-22-2014, 14:17   #8
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
BTW what rifle/caliber is that? Is that your 375?
Yip, old faithful, Remington Custom shop heavy barrel.
Old 05-22-2014, 14:19   #9
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Very nice!

(I presently live in the wrong area of the world for hunting/fishing.)

Please submit your "Wilderbeest" recipes with pictures to the "Gourmet Guerrilla" when you've prepared them!
It will all be made into Biltong and dried sausage. I will send pics.
Old 05-22-2014, 14:21   #10
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
That bullet did pretty well.
It did. The local stuff is strong and expands well, but I prefer Norma, Federal and Remington for accuracy.
Old 05-22-2014, 14:30   #11
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Nice work. I use either a .308 168gr Barne's TSX or the 140gr TSX for my .270Win on Boar here in California. They are a solid copper bullet providing similar expansion and retention to your PMP. Once again, very nice...

Last edited by mark46th; 05-23-2014 at 15:14.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:03   #12
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Here is a better photo to illustrate the size of the Wilderbeest. My hunt buddy is on leave from Afghanistan. He is ex SA Para, 32 Bn and 7 Med. His rifle is also an SA made .375 H&H Mag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stan and I, Rustenburg.jpg (77.4 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Guymullins; 05-27-2014 at 01:47.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:06   #13
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Nice work. I use either a .308 168gr Barne's TSX or the 140gr TSX for my .270Win on Boar here in California. They are a solid copper bullet providing similar expansion and retention to your PMP. Once again, very nice...
I am a great fan of the Barnes X and often used to use them in my 30-06 and .375. They are both deadly and very accurate. I can't find factory made stuff here anymore though.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:08   #14
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
I am a great fan of the Barnes X.They are both deadly and very accurate. I can't find factory made stuff here anymore though. I often used to use them in my 30-06 and .375.

Last edited by Guymullins; 05-27-2014 at 01:11.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:29   #15
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Yesterdays Hunt

A good example of a heavy bullet performing beyond expectations. I spotted three very large warthog running towards a ravine about four hundred yards from where we were driving in the hunting Land Rover. I took the tracker and we headed them off as they entered the densely wooded area in the ravine. We were up-sun and also luckily downwind of them, so we could approach quickly and closely without alarming them. The wind was gusting about twenty knots but it was a warm berg wind, so the temperature in KwaZulu Natal was about 31C. WE had great difficulty in seeing the hogs as the bush was very dense, but we could hear them feeding and at times smell them as we got closer. After about an hour of steady walking up hill and down dale, the Tracker , who was to my right about five paces, halted and pointed dead in front of me. I couldn't see anything as a large dense bush was in front. The Tracker lay slowly down, indicating that the pig was right there, behind the bush. By slowly moving my head, I managed to glimpse an eye and an ear. By moving my head more, the picture of a grey body faintly showed through the bush. I knew that if I moved, the pig, which was no more that six yards away, would hear me and be off in a flash.I slowly inched the rifle up to my shoulder, stopping even now and then when I heard the pig stop eating. Finally, I got the rifle to my shoulder and estimating where the shoulder was took aim. Branches, both thick and thin were in view but I thought that at such short range, even if the shot was deflected 45 degrees, I would still nail the pig with the .375 Magnum 270gr bullet. I took the shot and suddenly the bush exploded with the screams of the pigs and a huge boar scrambled off to my right. I ejected the round and cocking a fresh one, drew a bead on the escaping boar, not knowing whether he was the animal I had shot or not. The tracker jumped up, shouting that the pig was down, so I held my shot at the boar and walked around the bush to see what I had hit.
A huge sow was laying on her side, stone dead. Her rib cage was torn open both sides and the entrails were shot out a couple of feet on the far side. By looking at the entry wound, it was apparent that the bullet must have expanded fully by hitting a branch, leaving a large entry wound. It was difficult to establish whether the shot had been deflected at all, because I was aiming almost blind, estimating where the shoulder would be. The bullet entered about four inches behind the shoulder, but this could have been because I didn't estimate well, rather than because of deflection. However, my love of the .375 H&H was only increased by this incident. A heavy, slow moving bullet can punch though a lot of brush and still do its job excellently, compared to the swift light bullets that are so popular today.
I shot three blesbuck and an Impala before calling it a day.

Last edited by Guymullins; 07-21-2014 at 04:36.