Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 20th Group

Old 01-29-2011, 07:10   #1
FFnavy
Asset

need advise...MA Guard / AD SF

I am prior active duty Navy. I was dropped from SEAL training due to a shoulder injury, which has since been corrected. I have been talking with a MA Guard recruiter about going SF. In your honest opinion, would a prior Navy guy who just went through AIT and is new to the Army Guard, be selected by a Guard SF unit right off the bat? i've been reading that even those who pass all the PT tests sometimes are not selected because they don't have enough experience? I am looking for advise as to which path is better to go down being prior Navy, NG or AD Army (with the hopes of going SF)? Please adise based on your honest opinion and experiences. ANY ADVISE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thank You.
FFnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:20   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Dude

Dude, you are starting to rack up a post count starting new threads and giving lip service to our advice about reading more and posting less.

Start any new threads and I'm going to sit you in the corner for a while.

You better find an old thread to tag your next question on to. And that thread had better be related to the question your asking.

This is your final warning.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:21   #3
trvlr
Quiet Professional

Search Button

I recommend putting "best way to get into SF (and other name variations)" into the search bar. Compiling, and then reading all of the results. It will might prevent the deathwatch (my name for them) from descending onto this thread. (Might already be to late.)

EDIT: I guess it was too late...
Old 01-29-2011, 07:24   #4
Pete
Quiet Professional

trvlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr View Post
I recommend putting "best way to get into SF (and other name variations)" into the search bar. Compiling, and then reading all of the results. It will also prevent the deathwatch (my name for them) from descending onto this thread. (Might already be to late.)

EDIT: I guess it was too late...
trvlr - I can do without your help - but you do have my attention right now.

Any more "help" you want to give this weekend?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:30   #5
trvlr
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
trvlr - I can do without your help - but you do have my attention right now.

Any more "help" you want to give this weekend?
Your post must have beaten mine by around 30 seconds. I can remove it if you'd like.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:40   #6
Pete
Quiet Professional

I quoted it so people could see what you wrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr View Post
Your post must have beaten mine by around 30 seconds. I can remove it if you'd like.
I quoted it so people could see what you wrote. That way if you edited your post people would know what I was talking about.

Anymore smartass remarks about the "deathwatch" and you'll be in the corner with FFnavy.

And let the Mods and QPs handle any "corrections" that need to be made.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:47   #7
FFnavy
Asset

Pete, this is my first time posting on any forum. Generally speaking I am not a computer / forum person. It looks as though I have been breaking some rules and my presence on here has been an inconvenience, which was not my intention. I do not know what you mean by "lip service" but if somehow I sounded disrespectful that also was not my intention. I will cease posting on this forum. My apologies. Thank you for serving.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:56   #8
Pete
Quiet Professional

Lip service

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFnavy View Post
...... I do not know what you mean by "lip service" but if somehow I sounded disrespectful that also was not my intention......
Lip service - saying you read everything and wore out the search button.

This site has been around for years - tons of threads all over the place.

Just reading the threads going back a couple of years in the sections given to you would have taken a little longer than a day.

Read more - post less - until you've read everything and have a feel for the board.

Edited to add:

FFnavy - I hold out this thread as an example

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=14224

Teddy13BU6 brought up a thread that was over 3 years old to ask his question on. He didn't take the lazy way out - he looked. If you want to be spoon feed SF is not for you.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:09   #9
trvlr
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I quoted it so people could see what you wrote. That way if you edited your post people would know what I was talking about.

Anymore smartass remarks about the "deathwatch" and you'll be in the corner with FFnavy.

And let the Mods and QPs handle any "corrections" that need to be made.
Can do.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:49   #10
Guy
Quiet Professional

FFnavy,

Try giving exsquid a PM, he's prior Navy.

Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:47   #11
exsquid
Quiet Professional

FFnavy:

I am responding to you here instead of returning your PM because I get tired of answering the same questions over and over again. I have some questions of my own. 1. Are you ready to follow the damn directions and stop posting the same reworded question in multiple threads? 2. Have you bothered to do any research at all on here IRT going from the Navy to SF? I spent a fair amount of time & effort on here detailing my journey from the USNR to SFQC graduation so that others could have a little insight to the process. 3. Are you an IS or a CTM? Either way, I would expect you to be a little more adept at research. 4. Do you have any idea what it is you really want? SEAL and SF are different animals, kind of like monkeys and apes, in the same suborder but way different species.

Here is the deal. If you like what you are doing civilian wise, you have some time invested in your career, and the family wants to stay put, but you feel the calling of the Regiment, then the NG is the place to go. If your family situation allows you to pick up stakes and you want the Regiment to be your career, AD is the place for you. You have to make that decision first, stop being a pussy and worrying about which way is quickest, surest, easiest, etc.

As a Guardsman, you can join the Guard straight out without doing Boot Camp or AIT if your previous military training/occupation equates to something in the Army. CTM is similar to 94E, Radio/Communications Security (COMSEC) Repairer. IS is similar to 35F, Intelligence Analyst. You should also be able to keep your TIG & obviously TIS. The NG is more user friendly to Prior Service guys. AD recruiters do not want to talk to you because Prior Service guys do not count toward their monthly quota. You literally are more work than you are worth, to them.

Stop worrying about whether or not you have what SF wants. The SFAS cadre make that decision based on your performance and attitude not whether or not you are a f*&king Ninja with 100 confirmed kills. Hell we even had a cook in my SUT class. (Okay, bad example. He was a Ranger cook )

x/S

Last edited by exsquid; 01-30-2011 at 12:50.
exsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:54   #12
FFnavy
Asset

Thank you for the info it is much appreciated. I have never searched for the easy way around anything for if I were that type of person I would be with a tier one unit right but I wont get into that here as I feel it is not relevant. I have been very respectful on this forum and I appreciate the responses. Exsquid, I dont know you and you dont know me so lets have some class and some mutual respect. And oh ya, be professional. Calling me a pussy and saying that I'm looking for the easy way out is what I call, being a tough guy from a distance. Not trying to insult you like you did me, but just speaking honestly. I am not a scared kid thats still in high school so harsh language does not intiminate me. I know I made a huge mistake by posting twice but in all honesty I'm still learning how this forum stuff works. All that garbage aside, thank you for the info and taking the time to post. You guys bring a great service to this country and there are people out their who appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:02   #13
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFnavy View Post
Thank you for the info it is much appreciated. I have never searched for the easy way around anything for if I were that type of person I would be with a tier one unit right but I wont get into that here as I feel it is not relevant. I have been very respectful on this forum and I appreciate the responses. Exsquid, I dont know you and you dont know me so lets have some class and some mutual respect. And oh ya, be professional. Calling me a pussy and saying that I'm looking for the easy way out is what I call, being a tough guy from a distance. Not trying to insult you like you did me, but just speaking honestly. I am not a scared kid thats still in high school so harsh language does not intiminate me. I know I made a huge mistake by posting twice but in all honesty I'm still learning how this forum stuff works. All that garbage aside, thank you for the info and taking the time to post. You guys bring a great service to this country and there are people out their who appreciate it. Thank you.
Are you one of those guys who does everything he can to make people dislike him right off the bat 'cause he knows it's definitely gonna happen eventually, anyway?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:08   #14
FFnavy
Asset

Exsquid, I read over your last post a few more times and you are right. I am the one who is out of line and I do need to square myself the fu$k away. I did give up an outstanding opportunity with a SEAL team because I actually wanted to go through BUD/s and earn my place. When I got hurt I had no motivation and was always bitter with the opportunity I walked away from. I've had some unfortunate circumstances but I'm 27 yrs old and i'm still trying. Thanks for telling me what I needed to hear. Disregard my last post. I was out of line.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:12   #15
FFnavy
Asset

Dusty, im really not. im the exact opposite of that. I dont know why this is happening. Someone suggested to PM someone, I did, and well, didnt work out for me. I havnt bashed anyone or even talked back. I dont know. I started a thread and wham! Maybe I shouldnt post on forums anymore. looks like my first time will also be my last.