Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 20th Group

Old 01-11-2010, 22:10   #31
hetzer
Asset

Florida Highway Patrol also has a tactical unit. I don't know about the pay/perks/benefits, but one of MID NCOs just retired from FHP and I can put you in touch with him if you would like. I don't know about the NQP side of the house, but if you end up at BN you may be able to spend a good deal of time on orders going to schools, depending on you MOS.

These are not too close to Ocala but I figured I would include them since the are in my AO.

Daytona Beach PD is usually hiring and pays pretty good. I don't know if they still sponsor for the academy.

Volusia County Sheriff's Office is hiring also, I would go there if I was starting over fresh. The pay is OK and there are numerous specialized units to work for. The SWAT team stays pretty busy also.

Last edited by hetzer; 01-11-2010 at 22:21.
hetzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 20:31   #32
quietstorm3155
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetzer View Post
Florida Highway Patrol also has a tactical unit. I don't know about the pay/perks/benefits, but one of MID NCOs just retired from FHP and I can put you in touch with him if you would like. I don't know about the NQP side of the house, but if you end up at BN you may be able to spend a good deal of time on orders going to schools, depending on you MOS.

These are not too close to Ocala but I figured I would include them since the are in my AO.

Daytona Beach PD is usually hiring and pays pretty good. I don't know if they still sponsor for the academy.

Volusia County Sheriff's Office is hiring also, I would go there if I was starting over fresh. The pay is OK and there are numerous specialized units to work for. The SWAT team stays pretty busy also.
Hetzer, Thanks for the info. No need for a contact as of yet but I appreciate the offer. I am still on contract here in Iraq for awhile still. Wanting to build up the bank account more as I prepare to buy a house at some point and dont want to run into financial trouble going through hiring processes for work and NQP/Selection etc. Im looking at homes online in the Daytona Beach area but just west of the city abit. I plan on going to Fl and Colorado this summer and checking everything out. Its difficult to get a feel of everything from the internet.
Again, thanks.
quietstorm3155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 19:39   #33
zoolander6
Quiet Professional

Unless your moving to Daytona to be close to surf breaks, i suggest you check out the west coast of FL as well. I live in Tampa on the bay. And my unit is in MD. Its like paradise over here. And i have been to Miami, Daytona, Orlando, Cocoa. And from experience i think the Tampa, Sarasota, Clearwater, St Pete area is far better than Daytona. Check the houses out on craigslist, and pull up a sat map on google maps for location. Then again i heard Ft. Lauderdale area is nice too, but hella pricey. It only take me about 1hr 45min- 2hr to get to Daytona from where i live. Just something to think about.
zoolander6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:49   #34
quietstorm3155
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoolander6 View Post
Unless your moving to Daytona to be close to surf breaks, i suggest you check out the west coast of FL as well. I live in Tampa on the bay. And my unit is in MD. Its like paradise over here. And i have been to Miami, Daytona, Orlando, Cocoa. And from experience i think the Tampa, Sarasota, Clearwater, St Pete area is far better than Daytona. Check the houses out on craigslist, and pull up a sat map on google maps for location. Then again i heard Ft. Lauderdale area is nice too, but hella pricey. It only take me about 1hr 45min- 2hr to get to Daytona from where i live. Just something to think about.
Zoolander, I see you mentioned Ft.Lauderdale. Im going out on rotation in July and plan on looking at some homes in the Miami/Miami Suburbs as well as Daytona and surrounding areas. Appreciate your above input.
Im also looking to stop in to HQ in Ocala and speaking with the SOPC section.

These are my plans thus far, but my father is not well so I'll be taking it day by day. Hopefully everything will work out.
quietstorm3155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 19:16   #35
Saturation
Guerrilla

Miami? really??

You can't get more polarized than your two current picks- Daytona and Miami. Well I guess you can but really they are quite the different populations/personalities.

Now if you blend into the South Beach crowd that's another issue....

Best wishes to your dad.

Last edited by Saturation; 04-16-2010 at 19:17. Reason: add last sentence
Saturation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 19:42   #36
FILO
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoolander6 View Post
I live in Tampa on the bay. And my unit is in MD. Its like paradise over here. And i have been to Miami, Daytona, Orlando, Cocoa. And from experience i think the Tampa, Sarasota, Clearwater, St Pete area is far better than Daytona.
Couldn't agree more, I live in Safety Harbor, northwest end of the bay, and I've yet found a better place to live, especially if you have a family.
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 20:35   #37
armymom1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm3155 View Post
Zoolander, I see you mentioned Ft.Lauderdale. Im going out on rotation in July and plan on looking at some homes in the Miami/Miami Suburbs as well as Daytona and surrounding areas. Appreciate your above input.
Im also looking to stop in to HQ in Ocala and speaking with the SOPC section.

These are my plans thus far, but my father is not well so I'll be taking it day by day. Hopefully everything will work out.
Cost of living in Miami is outrageous. Hope your spanish is good.....
Everything down there is a drive somewhere.

I concur with two other comments about Fla's west coast. My preference is St. Petersburg. Car insurance is less than Tampa.
When I moved home to Florida. I could pick anywhere, I chose here, as in St. Pete, for the quality of life, cost of living, ease of getting around a city.

HQ in Ocala is approx 2 hrs north of Tampa via I-75. Housing is much much cheaper than Miami or Daytona.

Historicaly we get few hurricanes, as in direct hits. Most are just fly by rainstorms for us.