Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 20th Group

Old 02-27-2006, 21:00   #31
dennisw
Area Commander

Dan hit the nail on the head. My wife teaches stress management at a local college. As part of the course they have to keep a diary or daily journal. It's amazing the stress they put themselves through. When I went to college I was truly a starving student. No one expected you to have money. However, today, a guy going to school has to have a nice car, take his girl out for expensive dinners and buy her gifts.

They work full time and go to school full time. It's hard to really study under those conditions. Mostly I believe they incur way to much debt.
Old 03-22-2006, 21:12   #32
Petelink
SF Candidate

I was in the same boat as you, Dude, even joined the same unit you probably will (B/2/20 in Glen Arm). It was rough but there are ways to make it easier. Talk to guys from the unit down at Bragg and they'll fill you in, or PM me. I will say this: leave the wife and kids at home in DC. It will allow them to stay in a comfortable place where they have friends and a routine, and it will allow you to focus entirely on the task at hand. Plus you live close enough that you will likely be able to go home on many weekends. I've seen this work for several people, including myself, but the key is to not get sucked into the party scene. Married guys who are newly geographically single can get into trouble, especially during phase III and language school when you're essentially on a 9-5 schedule with evenings off. It probably goes without saying, but don't be a medic, almost earned me a divorce and my head still hurts from all the "discussions" my wife and I have had over it. Not sure if you've decided on an MOS, but if you are planning on coming to B/2/20 we really need commo guys. Best of luck with this tough decision, I have no regrets.
Petelink is offline   Reply With Quote