Old 02-17-2005, 15:17   #1
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Jetboil

Alright folks, I picked one up at SHOT, just because I could, and I am quite happy with it. I have not actually tested it in an enviroment any more harsh than my kitchen, because I can't seem to find enough spare time to get out and do things like that. Anywhoo, It is freakin cool. I couldn't get the Jetboil gas canister with it because I had to fly and the canisters are verboten on airliners. as soon as I found some Coleman propane/butane cylinders at oshman's, I was in business. At this altitude if you fill the cup to the fill line (2 cups I think) and crank the valve about 3/4 open, it will boil the water in about 2 minutes 40 seconds. As I said before I have only played with it, but I can tell you that it makes a mean cup o tea and a decent pot o coffee provided you don't mind lots of grounds. I got the Jetboil Coffee Press attachment for my stove and though it is a good idea, I have yet to be able to make a pot of coffee that didn't have extra roughage. Not a bad thing, but not ideal either. I have the 200 gram fuel cans that do not fit in the cup for storage, but 100 gram cans are available from Jetboil. I have used the stove about 8-10 times and still have about half a can of fuel left.

Not as comprehensive as Java's review, but it's a start.

Good times,
Blake
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 16:40   #2
jatx
Area Commander

Air,

Is it stable? Looks to me like it would be easy to tip over when full - high center of gravity.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 17:51   #3
Air.177
Quiet Professional

I have the 200 gram fuel can for mine and it has been plenty stable, barring outside interference(I.E. Dog or inattentive friend) It does get to boiling pretty violently, so be aware and turn it down when it starts boiling. I can see how the 100 gram small canisters would be less stable.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:48   #4
optactical
Quiet Professional

Jetboils are the heat dude! I have one and like it, but do not have extensive experience with it. Java did a gauntlet of tests on the thing and sold me on it, he would be the SME for any questions concerning them.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:46   #5
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by optactical
Jetboils are the heat dude! I have one and like it, but do not have extensive experience with it. Java did a gauntlet of tests on the thing and sold me on it, he would be the SME for any questions concerning them.
Yeah, I saw his review on Lightfighter and when I ran into the Jetboil guys at SHOT, I told them I had read a really good review of their product online, so I bought one. About 5 minutes later, I got introduced to Java By Mel from Kifaru. Good times
Old 03-03-2005, 12:58   #6
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air.177
Yeah, I saw his review on Lightfighter and when I ran into the Jetboil guys at SHOT, I told them I had read a really good review of their product online, so I bought one. About 5 minutes later, I got introduced to Java By Mel from Kifaru. Good times
Just got to rub it in don't you? About how YOU got to go to SHOT.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 13:00   #7
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe

Absolutely
Old 03-03-2005, 17:04   #8
Rotor Strike

I have one and love it. Took it with me to a controlled burn out in the Ocala National Forest a while back, and had to guard it as the Forestry Dept. guys all wanted to steal it. Other than it's limitation to the canister fuel source, it's an exceptional product. I use the smaller cannister and it still hasn't tipped over yet. However, a careless bump would knock it over. Just choose the spot you set it carefully.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:23   #9
uboat509
Quiet Professional

Our medic has one that he took the WET that we just did and he loves it. My team sergeant does not care for them however because of the size and because he prefers to have a wider range fuel choices.

SFC W
uboat509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:46   #10
Pete
Quiet Professional

Multi Fuelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboat509
he prefers to have a wider range fuel choices
Smart man.

Each person tends to like the stove they own and have worked with the most. It's not too hard for a team to carry a number of fuel type stoves on a short duration deployment that has limited field time.

You get into the long deployments to some of the really out of the way places and it pays to have similar fuel type stoves made by companies that sell world wide. Fuel for a multi fuel type stove can be found just about anywhere.

Back in my day the big fight was over grasshoppers (propane) and the butane crowd. The white gas (pre-heat with paste & non-pre heat) crowd was a far third.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:59   #11
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe
It's ok. I was there too.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:10   #12
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Fuel for a multi fuel type stove can be found just about anywhere.
I was told yesterday by a manager at REI that Jetboil is coming out with a multi-fuel version next year. Although that could negate some of its attractiveness, IMHO, since it won't pack into one self-containing unit.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:56   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Smart man.

Each person tends to like the stove they own and have worked with the most. It's not too hard for a team to carry a number of fuel type stoves on a short duration deployment that has limited field time.

You get into the long deployments to some of the really out of the way places and it pays to have similar fuel type stoves made by companies that sell world wide. Fuel for a multi fuel type stove can be found just about anywhere.

Back in my day the big fight was over grasshoppers (propane) and the butane crowd. The white gas (pre-heat with paste & non-pre heat) crowd was a far third.

Pete
We just used the MSRs, especially the old XGK.

That thing would burn anything flammable, from Jack Daniel to diesel fuel. It just sounded like a B747 on takeoff when it was at full power.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote