Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Insurgencies & Guerrilla Warfare

Old 01-07-2012, 21:51   #1
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

You Can’t Play Chess When the Taliban is Playing Poker

Really good Article on SWJ.

You Can’t Play Chess When the Taliban is Playing Poker BY: Neno Danovic

I wonder if this really is "The Mystery of This War". IMNSHO I feel after come back and forth to Afghanistan that U.S. Military really doesn't know WTH they are doing. We say we are conducting COIN. REALLY??!!!?? Really.... Both SOF and Conventional Forces just want to kick in some door and Shoot someone in their face. Is this COIN??

We have no Intelligence for Afghanistan. Intelligence must come from the population, but if the population will not talk unless it feels safe. It will not feel safe until insurgent's power is broken. How can we break the INS power if the population does not support the military.

There is NO substantial amount of development and nation building that will have any effect with any COIN strategy in Afghanistan.

You know this statement may be true.. but

Quote:
Ten years into the insurgency, ISAF has not provided security to the Afghan people and has not given them a chance to stand against the Taliban.
When the people don't really care, then what is ISAF or Kabul to do?

This has been one long game of Poker and no one is willing to fold.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 22:23   #2
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Definitely, some food for thought!!!

Very well stated!!

Do take care Brother!!
Martin
Old 01-07-2012, 22:50   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

VSO.

Most villages do not want the Taliban back.

Only problem is the corruption and incompetence of the GIROA. Karzai appears to be Diem, reincarnated.

If the government cannot deliver and/or development fails, security is irrelevant.

If they were even semi-competent this would be over already.

Honestly, Karzai will probably eventually fail, and flee the country with a billion dollars.

al-Maliki is worse.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 18:55   #4
Dragbag036
Quiet Professional

Action Alert

I got this from a QP today, I'm not sure if it has been posted in here. What a thought this conveys and a damn good one in my opinion.

http://secure.afa.net/afa/activism/t...ion.asp?id=384

DB
Old 01-25-2012, 15:57   #5
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragbag036 View Post
I got this from a QP today, I'm not sure if it has been posted in here. What a thought this conveys and a damn good one in my opinion.

http://secure.afa.net/afa/activism/t...ion.asp?id=384

DB
Col. West is 110% correct, Their (Radical Islamist) road to paradise begins with us Regard's, TK
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote