Old 06-14-2005, 18:47   #1
Air.177
Quiet Professional

GSG9s

I have been hearing about these boots since I was a little kid reading/memorizing the U.S. Cavalry Catalogs. A bunch of the guys I shoot three gun with love them and recommended them to me enthusiastically. I finally found the pair I wanted, something that none of my buds could possibly have (keeping up with the Joneses and all). I am now the proud owner of a pair of "Jungle Green" Adidas GSG9s and they are every bit as good, and probably better than my Oakleys.

Disclaimer:

I am only endorsing these boots as a CIVILIAN who spends a little time running around on a CIVILIAN range shooting matches. I am not claiming that these boots are Excellent, Adequate or Acceptable for 20 mile ruckmarches because I DO NOT KNOW. For day to day general purpose urban footwear, they are working great so far. Take this endorsement for what it is worth -Roundabout what you paid for it-

That being said, They seem to have better traction than the Oaks, they have more toe room on top, and they have better Arch support. They are also MUCH QUIETER on all surfaces I have tried them on than the Oakley are, wet or dry.

And before you ask, no, I didn't have to chase the Leprechaun very far to get his shoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green gsg9s.jpg (18.0 KB, 271 views)
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 18:59   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Come back in 6 months and tell us how much you like them.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 19:03   #3
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Come back in 6 months and tell us how much you like them.
Will do. I take it you've had bad experiences?
Old 06-14-2005, 19:07   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I had a pair or five issued. All the leather came off the uppers. On the bright side, I now have a very expensive pair of PT shoes for the Poodle/Manhole 4 Mile Invitational.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 06-15-2005, 07:36   #5
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Good Ol' Boots

Whenever an "End-Of-Year" buy comes around (spending the last bit of Uncle Sam's money before the fiscal year ends), the guys all want "Oakley Boots". I think part of the reason is the tendency to want to look different than the "regular" Army guys. Other than that, they are pretty comfortable but most guys price them so much that they are afraid to punish the boots like they are meant to be punished.

That being said, I have two types of boots that I use a lot: one pair of Magnum Hi Techs and several pairs of regular issued boots. The Magnum Hi Techs is what I use for CQB and I have had them for five years now (yep, the same pair). True, I clean and condition the leather often, but I also beat the heck out of them. They have sped through the "fatal funnel" when the path was covered with splintered wood, broken glass, screws and nails. I have kicked furniture out the way with them, climbed fences and even fast roped with them.

The regular issued ones have never failed me either. If they are properly fitted, they do just as good, if not better than the more expensive "Gucci" types. Plus, they didn't cost me a thing. And the Magnums, well, they cost less than if I bought a new pair of "issued" boots and they have lasted through a lot.

So, in the end, I wonder why the whole thing with the "Gucci" boots. I remember that everyone wanted the GSG9 boots a while back because the "Boys Behind the Fence" had them. Since they fall apart all the time, mostly they sit in a locker until someone has to conduct a HALO jump. Now, the Oakleys are popular because, "I can wear them, and you can't." Still, as the team is currently fat with gear, if the extra money comes down our way, we are buying 12 pair of Oakley boots for the fellas. And, only because we can't allow the HALO team next door to get them first!
Old 06-15-2005, 17:49   #6
Mike792
Quiet Professional

Boots

I agree with NDD on the GSG 9s, Had 3 pair of GSG 9s. Wouldn't use them for long walks. I use the pair I have now for when I mow the lawn. Used a pair of Rocky's (not sure which model) on a 14 miler in Haiti January 2004. I wish I had them during SFAS. No problems, no blisters, lightweight, and comfortable. I will have a pair of Oakleys when someone gives me a pair.

Mike
Mike792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 14:33   #7
Brother Rat
Auxiliary

I found a pair that appear to be almost direct copies in many ways of the GSG9's, but made by Bates. I have a pair of Bates ICBs that I use for rucking, and the quality is excellent, especially considering the comparitively low price. I'm not sure about these, but my Bates have always been good to me.

http://www.discountedboots.com/site/604790/product/2145
Brother Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 19:33   #8
zeroalpha
Operator

Weve been using the Oakleys - Both Black leather and Desert canvas/suede/rubber jobs.

The leather black ones are comfortable, and light. But theres the sold noise issue in the wet. All over a pretty good boot that would FAR better if the soles had better grip and didnt have the 'wet sole problem' - noise and slipperyness.

The deserts again are light, comfortable BUT - have found that they dont really "wear in" even after a lot of miles. The upper stays very hard and doesnt mold to the foot as well as leather. Also, have found the the soles on the Oakley Deserts are starting to split a little under the ball of the feet. Oh, and they have the same wet sole problem. No grip and really noisey. Ive also had a pair split on the suede just above the joint of my big toe. Its not a big split, only may 4mm but its still has split or ripped and will probably get bigger amd bigger. Oh - And Oakley WOULD NOT REPLACE THEM - They said they couldn't tell what had happened to them....

Have also used the GSG9's - Hey they WERE the cool boot. Quite similar to the leather Oakleys, but for some reason they really made my feet stink. They are lightweight and IMHO more of an urban boot that a rocks/ruck hard out boonies boot. Mine wore out and I went to the Oakleys.

I have a pair of Bates M9's on the way.... judgement reserved until at least 200 miles.
-=Ultimate Farce=-

(Ultimate Force (Farce) is a TV show for those who havent seen it)
zeroalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 14:10   #9
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Update,
OK, I have been wearing these nearly every day since I got them. they have held up much better than the Oakleys have, but do still share some of the same weaknesses. The soft rubber soles have very little wet traction, and also wear rather quickly outdoors. Other than that, I love them. They have canvas sides and suede-type toes and heels, so they aren't as shiny as the standard black ones, neither are they water proof. No peeling as of yet, except a couple of chunks of rubber from the toe areas. By and large, I am very happy with these boots and am actually looking for another pair.

Good times,
Blake
Old 06-05-2006, 23:42   #10
aestreet
Asset

While on an entry team. I wore the GSG9's for about 6 months. They look cool, and they are the most comfortable boots I've had, but when your trying to be sneaky on an entry, they can be squeaky in the humidity, pretty decent traction on grass, and nice for climbing compaired to jungles, but I have noticed the soft rubber bottoms start to come off, and they wear like crazy, I started putting kiwi on them before entries to cut back on the squeak.

- Dennis Leary
aestreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:31   #11
x SF med
Quiet Professional

I'll have to agree with Basenshukai - I'm partial to the HiTec Magnums, and for really extreme terrain my issued Chips (heavy, but mine are over 20 years old, never been resoled, and amazingly comfortable) and my old leg boots for day to day stuff, I still have an old pair of issued brown goretex boots but the soles are way too slick if there is even just a little rain.
Too bad I have to dress like a corporate clone now and only wear the boots when I can make it to the trails or the wx is really bad.
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:07   #12
Razor
Quiet Professional

Hey, if Paul Bremmer can wear desert boots with his suit, surely you can wear Chips or Magnums with yours.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:16   #13
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Razor,
I wish, but after all those years in group, if I wore boots with my suit, I'd blouse them, and that really ain't gonna fly in medical diagnostics. Plus, the old motto - dress for the terrain- has to come first.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:38   #14
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I am wearing the Bates Spiders now. Only two days so far, but GTG.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:54   #15
x SF med
Quiet Professional

NDD-
do you have to break them in the old fashioned way - a tub of hot water, a 10 mile ruck march, and stuff them with newspaper for a day? then do it again 3 days later - and you got boots that really fit - after the blisters heal, because the benzoin just melts in the water....