Old 11-03-2008, 20:20   #1
LR27
Auxiliary

Predicament

I have a frustrating situation at hand, and I am posting this in hopes that some of you can share your wisdom and point me in the right direction.

In June 2007, I attended SFAS and got selected. I decided to ETS in December 2007 to finish my degree. Once I finished, I would resume the Q Course.

Earlier this week I received a letter from good ol' St. Louis, MO, letting me know I was being mobilized for OIF. I knew that was a risk in getting out, but the orders say they are sending me to '1161 TC CO, Ephrata, WA.'

I was an 11B, and spent my entire time in as a Sniper. Why would they send me to a transportation company?? I contacted HRC, and the woman who answered the phone for Infantry branch told me, "Needs of the Army. You will still be an 11B, you wont be driving a truck." I then contacted the TC CO itself, and they said they have no 11B's on their MTOE.

I have a feeling someone has made a mistake, and they dont want to admit it. I contacted 19th SFG, and they said they probably cant touch me because I have orders, but they are working on it. I contacted the Army Sniper Association and Sniper School, and they are seeing what they can do. I thought I'd turn to you gentlemen, as well. The HRC rep said their is "no way" to change orders. Is this true? What would all of you recommend I do? Is there anyway I can get to the Q Course or even get to an infantry battalion?

Your advice and wisdom is invaluable at this point.

"Selection is a never ending process." - Anonymous Special Operations soldier
LR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 20:28   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I have a feeling someone has made a mistake,
Ya think?

Go on and do the tour, it will make you a more rounded soldier...
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 21:04   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I hear that the FMTV can haul a lot of ammo for the sniper assigned to them.

Very cushy ride.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 21:21   #4
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

I am afraid that you took your chances and the die came up snake eyes. You will probably be stuck with your assignment as they need TCs even more than they need snipers.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 21:39   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Sniper UP!
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 22:21   #6
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

It's a coin toss

It's the army, and generally you goes where they sends ya.
Depending on your rank in comparison to the rest of the guys, things may not be to bad. I however had rather have a sister in a whorehouse than drive a truck in that war.
Find a local NG maint unit and trade something they want for an armor plate wielded under your feet.
And good luck on your further endeavors.
Do like the THAI taxi drivers do and slide way over to the left of the seat to give Budda room to sit next to you. Best of luck, Blitz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 11-04-2008 at 09:01.
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:24   #7
Ddvant01
Asset

Removed, Yes sir. Sorry for the inconvenience.

There is no such thing as 'try' and 'can't', only 'I'll give it my best' and 'I gave it my best'.

Last edited by Ddvant01; 11-04-2008 at 10:25.
Ddvant01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:37   #8
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddvant01 View Post
Now I have no previous military experience, and this may be out of line. But the owner of www.snipercentral.com was a sniper assigned to a mobile unit.

EDIT: No need to tell me, wrong section to be answering questions. I apologize.

Young man

Unless you are a QP you should not be posting here. This was a question in the SF Questions section. As you noticed above only QP's had responded. Search, Read and learn. Open each area and read thestickies. They will help you understand each area of the board.
Regards
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:45   #9
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

LR27,
Consider this an opportunity to apply some interpersonal skills and make the sandwich as tasy as possible .....Suck up the assignment orders but be alert for opportunities to present themselves.

YOU should not be a limiting factor.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:54   #10
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Young man--Unless you are a QP you should not be posting here. This was a question in the SF Questions section. As you noticed above only QP's had responded. Search, Read and learn. Open each area and read thestickies. They will help you understand each area of the board.
Regards
BHT is quite correct and SA is one of the most important lessons you can learn in life...and the sooner, the better.

As for your predicament...it sounds to me like an opportunity to excell as an Asst Ops Training NCO or the like, providing Infantry training, experience, and leadership to the TC to improve their basic soldiering skills, professionalism, survivability, and morale. Challenges are what it's all about out there.

FWIW, if you're ever seriously thinking of trying for an 18 series MOS, IMO you'd better start by adopting an 'another chance to excel' vs a 'woe is me' mind set when it comes to such situations. We've all been there.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 16:56   #11
Soft Target
"SF Loggie"

Having commanded a service support company (Rigger) in the 101st, I took all the advantage I could of any combat arms guys assigned to improve the tactical posture of the unit and increase individual skills in that area. Some were reclass and some were unknown as to why they were there. The Riggers loved it (and so did I).
Soft Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 21:45   #12
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Thank God we had Mrs. A...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 21:48   #13
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Thank God we had Mrs. A...
A-F'in-MEN!

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:33   #14
LR27
Auxiliary

Thank you all for your advice and wisdom. Richard, Blitzz, LR1947, BHT, your posts are some of the ones I usually pay closest attention to on the forum. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Benning told me there is a chance I will be placed in an 11B slot once I in-process and things are sorted out. Regardless, I will make the best of whatever assignment I am given, and get back to the Q Course as soon as possible.

"Selection is a never ending process." - Anonymous Special Operations soldier
LR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 00:56   #15
lonewolf726
Quiet Professional

LongRange27, good luck to you in your future assignment.

Ddvant01,
The man you spoke of was an Infantryman assigned to a Mech Inf unit. I know the guy. Big difference between a Mechanized Infantry unit and a Transportation Company.
lonewolf726 is offline   Reply With Quote