Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 07-16-2009, 21:38   #16
MILON
Guerrilla

Would combining bands with free weights create the effect you are looking for regarding the rep rate and preventing the "free float"?

Example:

DB Bench Press w/ Bands

http://www.xlathlete.com/view_exerci...xercise_id=332

If applicable, the variable resistance is also very beneficial, but one must account for the added resistance of the bands.

We purchase bands from this site:

www.ironwoodyfitness.com

Its the best price I could find for this type of band.

Milon
MILON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:24   #17
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Bands alone because...

Milon, You are thinking, and that's not a bad thing (LOL).
Bands are wonderful on their own. I see where you're heading with this, and would require some really accurate measuring to determene the added resistance. I had used this technique to get wall pully weights to "return" faster for Blitzing in the clinic, and it worked well.
The band resistance is and can be rated, but differs by the length of pull. So I say continue with what you're doing/thinking, but here are a couple of thoughts on this approach.
use the least resistant band that will work.
In Blitzing, a 1# weight increase over the 20% increase will adversely affect progress, so beware of your rep speeds.
Also the length of the bands should not affect the resistance of the exercise until the last few degrees of movement to assist return.

The resistance at the end of acceleration movement should not exceed (overly) the end resistance on the deceleration end.

It will assist on those machines with cabled weights, but the plyometric effect of "free" weight speeds is very beneficial to the system.

Thanks for your input, I like it. The Blitz is very different and will take some different thinking.

Dave

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 12-01-2009 at 15:27.
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 14:47   #18
Praetorian
Guerrilla

I have one rotator cuff that doesnt function correctly. I really cant raise my left arm much beyond eye level.

I used to do french curls for tricep work (which I think may be what screwed up my RC in the first place) but I obviously cant anymore.

Can anybody recommend a different tricep isolating exercise using free weights or bungee bands?

Thanks.

Last edited by Praetorian; 07-20-2009 at 14:58.
Praetorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 17:16   #19
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Tricepts press downs

STARTING POSITION: Standing, facing the Latpull bar., Place hands shoulder width apart grasping the Bar.
Position youself with elbows at you side, palms down and press the bar down and return up to about chest hight (don't move you're elbows.

Second exercise you can do are Kick backs. One arm at a time, one knee and one hand one a weight brnch(leaning foreward) allow the exercise arm to Hang straight toward the ground, then bring weight straight upto about your chest and then straighten your arm back toward your back (buttocks), and return.

Addtionally, you can lie face down on the bench with the affected arm reaching the floor (usually with bent elbow) then you can push/pull a light weight along the floor as far over your head as minimul pain allows. Always using this one to increase the ROM of that shoulder. This takes the RC out of the Line of gravity and eliminates compensation. You must focus on moving the weight with only shoulder and no trapezius involment.

These should help,.. Dave

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 07-20-2009 at 17:21.
Old 07-20-2009, 22:08   #20
Praetorian
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzzz View Post
STARTING POSITION: Standing, facing the Latpull bar., Place hands shoulder width apart grasping the Bar.
Position youself with elbows at you side, palms down and press the bar down and return up to about chest hight (don't move you're elbows.

Second exercise you can do are Kick backs. One arm at a time, one knee and one hand one a weight brnch(leaning foreward) allow the exercise arm to Hang straight toward the ground, then bring weight straight upto about your chest and then straighten your arm back toward your back (buttocks), and return.

Addtionally, you can lie face down on the bench with the affected arm reaching the floor (usually with bent elbow) then you can push/pull a light weight along the floor as far over your head as minimul pain allows. Always using this one to increase the ROM of that shoulder. This takes the RC out of the Line of gravity and eliminates compensation. You must focus on moving the weight with only shoulder and no trapezius involment.

These should help,.. Dave
Thanks. I will give these a shot.

Thanks again for all your help! Much Appreciated.
Praetorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:55   #21
Sean
Asset

Blitzzz,

Looking at your program, I'm concerned about one very major aspect, and that is your advocation, or rather insistence, on the use of cable/pulley type machines for most exercises. Such machines eliminate the use of stabilzer muscles, as the machine ensures that the weight moves along a predetermined path. This weakens the body overall, and increases the chance of injury during outside-the-gym activities (Rucking is a good example, as is dynamic urban movement).

Also, you state that you want to eliminate the "free float" aspect of free weights. The "free float" is exactly the desired effect in many Olympic lifts, especially the Clean, wherein one is pulling the weight to a point, dropping under it, and catching it while it is practically weightless, due to momentum. If a clean is missed, it is dropped, with no pulleys or cables to control its movement. Likewise, if a clean is performed, it is done with only the tissue and bone of the lifter to stabilize and move the weight, not a cable or pulley or lifting glove in sight. (They tend to clutter up the platform)

I'm not trying to step on any toes, I just think the Blitzzz program has some glaring flaws that make it impractical for many of the men and women here.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:19   #22
JumpinJoe1010
Auxiliary

January---------------------------------May

Bench Press (Free Weights)
Weight 55-------------------------------80
Reps 66/64------------------------------82/86/82

Squat (Machine)

Weight 110------------------------------140
Reps 47/48------------------------------51/55/51

Curls (Free Weights)

Weight 35-------------------------------50
Reps 42/44------------------------------75/79/79

Leg Curls (Machine)

Weight 35-------------------------------65
Reps 48/47------------------------------53/54/53

Arm Rows (Machine)

Weight 65-------------------------------80
Reps 50/50------------------------------73/75/70

Calf Raises (Machine)

Weight 70-------------------------------95
Reps 50/51-----------------------------60/65/67

Situps

Start
50 x 3 sets (Non Timed)

Finish
80 x 3 Sets (Non Timed)

When you read these results, I began in January and end results in May.

I began with leg extensions in the mix but after being recommended to drop that particular exercise, due to overworking the same muscles in different exercise, I dropped that in my work out and never added a replacement. Couldn't quite find an exercise that would fit.

The first workout was refreshing but tiring with only two circuits, where as the next week when I began three circuits I wanted to puke at the end. I did get over that hurdle, but was exhausted non the less.

I had two workouts a week which were roughly 45 minutes a session. Each station was 1 minute with one minute rest between exercises, except for the sit-up. I chose sit-ups because for the obvious reason I wanted to be good at sit-ups. It was not the exercise recommended, but worked non the less.

The biggest challenge I found was the machines. My reps were way higher with free weights, but for exercises for the legs, it is was the better choice at the gym for the time and the people I had to work with sharing the equipment.

I would recommend these workouts for anyone wanting to increase their endurance. It is a quick workout to be added to an overall PT plan.

I want to thank Dave for the help in getting started and working out the process for me.

"Men who live by playing with knowledge may be called scholars, but they can never be men of wisdom." Hiratsuka Raicho
JumpinJoe1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 14:40   #23
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Thanks JumpinJoe1010

Joe, Looks like you're doing Okay with the Blitz . Thanks for the words. Blitz maintenance is about once a month. You won't lose any thing.

Now to SEAN: Any fears you may have about the Blitz are as all the other "professionals" I have discussed it with.
First if I didn't write it clearly enough Free Weights are fine. Read the above posts... weights on cables free float at around 60+ reps/min.
Since you have never "Blitzed", you misgivings should not be stated as fact. I have used the Blitz for 17 years with NO injuries at all, Neither Tendon, ligament, or Muscle.
You're assumptions are based on what information you recieved from the same trough we all feed from in schools.
All known systems are based on what you know. Not so the Blitz. It is so far outside the box it is hard for the average Muscle head to grasp.
Everyone has to be discouraged to do other exercises while doing Blitz.
I will tell you that You can not duplicate the results of this system with any thing you know.
A challenge to all trainers and coaches is to train any number of your personel until you can no longer get them any stronger. Give them to me and i will return then to you A minimum of 20% stronger and with at least twice the anaerobic and aerobic endurance. EVERYONE.
Sean PM me and I will give you my personal phone number and we can talk.
On this thread don't critisize that which you know nothing.
A quick question. Can you do double leg extensions with 270lbs at 142 reps/min
The math is over 38,000 lbs of weight movede in one minute. Do it for three circuits,.. Blitzzz

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 07-21-2009 at 14:46.
Old 07-21-2009, 14:48   #24
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Another note to Sean

Just for fun...Name A stabilizer muscle. Just one. Blitzzz

A note to all else...Sean's remarks are mostley unfounded and should not to be taken seriously.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 07-21-2009 at 14:53.
Old 07-21-2009, 15:01   #25
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Reason for speed

Blitzing is done at around 400 degrees per second. Alters with each individual but that is the reason for cable type machines.

Cable machines can be directed in a line but can be unstable as well.

Answer to the prevous question is...there are no "stabilizer" muscles.
All muscles cross joints (except Heart) and there fore stabilize the joints.
The greatest strength of the Blitz is that it strengthens the tertiary fibers which increase joint strength.
Please ask any questions you may have but make no comments about that which you have no reference.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 12-01-2009 at 15:34.
Old 07-21-2009, 17:06   #26
Sean
Asset

I'll try to answer in one post the questions posed in three.

First, regarding stabilizer muscles, I was referring to the segmental stabilizers (multifidus) located along the spine that ensure spinal alignment during complex, multijoint movements such as Olympic and Power lifts, and basic functional movements. The segmental stabilzers as well as the muscles of the trunk (the core) provide stability, balance, and power, and prevent injury.

On to functional exercises, which will answer why I have no idea if I can hop on the comfy leg extension machine and do 100-plus reps of the same boring, single-joint movement. Basically, functional movements establish motor recruitment patterns which are applicable to daily life. For example, if I'm about to lift a large television and move it somewhere, my body knows to keep the spine straight, bend the legs, and start the movement at the core. It knows this because I deadlift. A lot. Therefore my nervous system is used to the idea of "pick up heavy object off the ground" and I am able to do so without injury. If I need to pick up a heavy box and put it on a high shelf, again my body knows what to do because I do cleans and jerks, and their variants.

Utilizing pulley machines, Bowflexes, and isolation exercises in general does nothing to develop these neuromuscular pathways, making real-life movements like those I mentioned inefficient at best and hazardous at worst. I have never been in a situation where I've had to sit in a chair and move my legs against resistance from the knee down. I do, however, have to lift up heavy objects all the time, sometimes even over my head. Therefore, I see little use for the leg extension machine. However, if one makes their living going to spectator events, the pec fly machine could develop wicked clapping power.

Lastly, most of the tertiary muscles are in your hands and feet. Many deal with fingers and toes, especially the big ones. Hardly helpful in bicep curls, but with enough time on the Blitz, I guess I could become a Thumb War champ.
Old 07-21-2009, 18:19   #27
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

[/QUOTE]Lastly, most of the tertiary muscles are in your hands and feet. Many deal with fingers and toes, especially the big ones. Hardly helpful in bicep curls, but with enough time on the Blitz, I guess I could become a Thumb War champ.[/QUOTE]

Your arguments are less than the usual. What you call stabilizer muscles are muscles that like all others , cross joints and contract as needed. Not limited to the spine unless you can name other muscles that bend and flex the spine.
The stabilization of the joints is done by the muscles that move them. Muscles do an all or nothing contraction. Muscle recruitment determines amount and speed.
Not to be confused with Primary, secondary, and tertiary fibers, each bundle has three types of muscle Two phasic and one tonic, but of each of those they are prioritized by the brain (from birth) to be Primary, secondary, and tertiary in order of use.
This system is the only system to strengthen the tertiary system on the planet.
After Blitzing one can do any of the other "functional" events wihout the normal tissue failures. Yes you will be much more resistant to injury, much stronger, and have much more endurance than you have ever had. It is a promise I can keep. that it regardless of ANY other method of exercise you can come up with. These are facts you can not disprove. I would suggest you get as strong as you can with any system you want , and on completion of that I WILL MAKE YOU STRONGER.
You do not know this system so keep you frailties to youself. Go to the other thread where you conventional trainers can talk of the benefits of Cross Fit, P90X, Mountian Fitness, the , SEAL's workout Book. It's all the same just different names. None develope the tertiary system. It a place in your body you have never been,
Keep trying. Go talk to MILON.

I can take the World's Strongest Man and make him stronger (more Powerful_

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 07-21-2009 at 18:23.
Old 07-21-2009, 19:29   #28
dac
Guerrilla

Sean, I think it's worth pointing out that nobody said you have to do the Blitz workout for the rest of your life.

I can appreciate the argument that exercise mimicking real-world work creates neural pathways and is "better" but that is looking at the problem in a vacuum. The Blitz workout is one piece of a good overall plan. Dead-lifts and cleans are great, but anybody can plateau. When you hit your next one give Blitz a try and come back and post your results here.
dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 20:42   #29
Sean
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzzz View Post
Your arguments are less than the usual. What you call stabilizer muscles are muscles that like all others , cross joints and contract as needed. Not limited to the spine unless you can name other muscles that bend and flex the spine.
The stabilization of the joints is done by the muscles that move them. Muscles do an all or nothing contraction. Muscle recruitment determines amount and speed.
Not to be confused with Primary, secondary, and tertiary fibers, each bundle has three types of muscle Two phasic and one tonic, but of each of those they are prioritized by the brain (from birth) to be Primary, secondary, and tertiary in order of use.
This system is the only system to strengthen the tertiary system on the planet.
After Blitzing one can do any of the other "functional" events wihout the normal tissue failures. Yes you will be much more resistant to injury, much stronger, and have much more endurance than you have ever had. It is a promise I can keep. that it regardless of ANY other method of exercise you can come up with. These are facts you can not disprove. I would suggest you get as strong as you can with any system you want , and on completion of that I WILL MAKE YOU STRONGER.
You do not know this system so keep you frailties to youself. Go to the other thread where you conventional trainers can talk of the benefits of Cross Fit, P90X, Mountian Fitness, the , SEAL's workout Book. It's all the same just different names. None develope the tertiary system. It a place in your body you have never been,
Keep trying. Go talk to MILON.

I can take the World's Strongest Man and make him stronger (more Powerful_
Anytime someone criticizes your program or points out a flaw, you end up sounding like either a used car salesman or a religious zealot. Tell me when you help the World's Strongest Man reach his full potential, it might lend your precious Blitz some legitimacy. Meanwhile, Crossfit enjoys the endorsement of professional athletes, fighters, soldiers, law enforcement officers, firefighters, and several others who actually use their entire bodies to make a living. The day I see an Olympian credit his success to your program, I'll donate my Kettlebell set to charity. I may even throw in my Power Rings.

One final note: I think a Russian named Ivan Drago used your program, with its cables and pulleys, and threw some free weights in to spice things up. I recall him being beaten by an American who trained in a barn with logs and stuff. How can that be?
Old 07-21-2009, 21:39   #30
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Sean

You can't critisize something or Point out a flaw of something you know nothing about.
Critisize what you know. You haven't a clue about this system. It has been used without fail for over 17 years. That includes 4 years in Ft Campbell's Physical Therapy dept with Unparalleled success. People were able to return to work after a year and a half without running and Maxing there PT Runs.
You taking this so personal, indicates a fault in your belief system. You are on to nothing new. Your comments here have no weight. There is no Flaw in this system. Certianly none you would have any knowledge of.
I'm glad you're happy with what you do, stick with it, be happy.
You are argueing on assumptions you are making of my system.
You have no facts.
Car salesman or not, I can promise what I say about the results of this system are always thus. Have never failed, and are so outside the box, that Exercise phyiolgists, Athletic Trainers, PTs, and coaches are the hardest to get through to. Love being Mired in the Mundane.
The comment on the world's strongest man is to assure you of my confidence in this system. No one has ever done this system for over 6 weeks that didn't achieve the goals I have promised. Blitzzz

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 07-21-2009 at 22:00.