Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 08-26-2014, 19:57   #16
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyreaux View Post
Collected over time, but here's what I ended up with in my garage gym..................
Also horse stall mats make decent flooring, but have a smell when new that may be hard to vent from inside your house.
If you think they have a smell when they are new that is hard to vent out of your house you should check out the used ones I got from my neighbor.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:10   #17
booker
Guerrilla

Some thoughts from designing my home gym that I will open up to some folks as well:

Get an Airdyne (or Assault Bike), Concept2 rower or Concept2 skierg. Those are the best bang for your buck for cardio that can run the gamut from endurance work to hard intervals. Register online for the concept2 stuff and work your way through the world rankings (this adds competition to the mix, which keeps things more interesting).

A decent bar (20KG from rogue is a good one fore the price) and some decent bumpers are a must. I have a nice spreadsheet with a list of items for my gym I can send you, I will be able to outfit with a bar, 550 lbs of bumpers, an outdoor rig, sled, 2x medicine balls (20# and 14#), climbing ropes, a full set of KBs from 8kg to 32kg, and one of those big ass timers that mount on the wall. Total cost is just shy of $5k, but if you already have the outside stuff, the cost will be much less. Stay away from machines, particularly cable machines, they lose their luster pretty quick and become clothes rack before you know it.
Old 08-28-2014, 19:08   #18
craigepo
Quiet Professional

That Rogue gear looks pretty good; pretty pricey but pretty good.

The cardio machine thing is tricky. I hate treadmills, but you can burn some calories on them. I used to use a Versa climber-great workout. But not a lot of versatility. I have seen a couple of gyms use the rowers.

I will definitely have some sort of plyometric box. Actually, I have some huge white oak stumps that I have set around my fire pit that might get used for the purpose.

The rings look promising and cheap. I have a chin-up/dip/roman chair/push-up tower. Would have to figure out a way to suspend the rings.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 19:19   #19
DontPanic

I don't work for this company, and do not specifically recommend that you buy from them, but a gym would be pretty much complete with everything found in this package.

http://www.xtrainingequipment.com/El...et_p_1336.html

Regular strength training; including the squat, deadlift, and press is pretty much essential to anyone serious about athletic training.

Regular sessions of cardio 2-3 times a week combined with a simple strength routine will keep you strong, fast, injury free which is what the majority of people want.

The good thing about equipment like this is that it will last forever. I lift on the same eleiko barbell that my father trained with in his 20's and its almost 30 years old now. Your kids can fight over it when you die.

Other than the equipment, I would invest in a number of mobility and prehab/rehab tools. A roller like the one found here:

http://www.rumbleroller.com/

Will do wonders on your quads and lower back. If you're cheap like me, you can just use a large pvc pipe. Add in a lacrosse ball, maybe some acute compression bands, and if you've got the coin, a marcpro type tens unit, and you'll be pretty damn limber.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:41   #20
booker
Guerrilla

We've destroyed almost a half dozen 35 and 45 lb plates from Xtraining at our gym - our Rogue plates (not the bargain plates) lasted and are still going strong. This is using them for the usual lifts, not dragging them through the parking lot or anyting. Rogue is a bit more expensive, but you can get free shipping on a lot of stuff, and their quality and guarantees are top notch. Just my experience, YMMV. I've always been of the mindset to pay for the quality equipment and only buy once, instead of going for the bargain and having to replace more than once.
Old 09-09-2014, 13:25   #21
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
I am definitely going to have a padded area, probably the entire gym area. Gym area is about 15 feet by 20 feet with a 9 foot ceiling.

I don't run for time anymore, and now run exclusively on trails. I like to be able to knock out a 10-miler on a trail without any notice.

I am also hitting the cardio fairly hard, but in more ways than just running. I have been doing a bunch of tabata workouts, using the sandbag, big tire, sledgehammer, log, etc. Also doing some of the dvd workouts for cardio (Insanity, p90x3, etc).

As far as strength, I am tending more toward functional stuff. I.e., I don't care about benching 2x my body weight, but I do want to be able to climb a rope at any time. I am starting to see the genius of sandbag stuff, and will probably order a 2nd, larger sandbag in the near future.

I have also started paying more attention to flexibility. Back when I was fighting, I could do the splits. Now, not so much. So, I've been hitting the p90x3 dynamic stretching and yoga stuff.

Additionally, I am doing more core stuff. Besides the stuff above, I have been doing some p90x3 Pilates, which is pretty good.

Finally, I live too far from town, and work unpredictable hours, to ever make it to a gym. So, I need to be able to accomplish all of the above here on the farm.
Sorry I missed this post. Did you get your answer Sir?

Also if NO, then on your padded, you looking more at Rubber matting or like old school Gym padded mats? Or both?

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:05   #22
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker View Post
We've destroyed almost a half dozen 35 and 45 lb plates from Xtraining at our gym - our Rogue plates (not the bargain plates) lasted and are still going strong. This is using them for the usual lifts, not dragging them through the parking lot or anyting. Rogue is a bit more expensive, but you can get free shipping on a lot of stuff, and their quality and guarantees are top notch. Just my experience, YMMV. I've always been of the mindset to pay for the quality equipment and only buy once, instead of going for the bargain and having to replace more than once.
The difference here is home gym/and commercial gym. Although I agree completely with your reasoning; I'm not sure if I would recommend all Rogue gear for limited use by one person. I would however say that Rogue bars are worth the money spent.

CH
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:04   #23
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Sorry I missed this post. Did you get your answer Sir?

Also if NO, then on your padded, you looking more at Rubber matting or like old school Gym padded mats? Or both?
I'm getting there. I'm thinking rubber matting for the floor. Also, I'm getting swayed toward the Rogue stuff, but crap it's expensive.

I still haven't figured what type of aerobic machine, if any, to get. These p90x/insanity-type hiit routines work so well, and I will have a tv in the gym, plus I have a good 5k here on the farm, make it a little tough to justify the extra $.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 23:47   #24
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
I'm getting there. I'm thinking rubber matting for the floor.
In your neck of the woods, you might check out cow pads/mats. They come in large sizes and are relatively cheap.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 14:11   #25
booker
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
In your neck of the woods, you might check out cow pads/mats. They come in large sizes and are relatively cheap.

Pat
Horse stall mats are well worth the PITA it takes to move them around. You can get them at Tractor Supply and other places. Thin mats won't protect your floor from the inevitable kettlebell or plate drop.

Hotshot - the gym is a home gym with folks from the neighborhood coming in every now and again when they can. It may be that I got a bad batch of bumpers, I've heard of that sort of thing happening. I see your point though, ROI on Rogue gear for one person is probably not worth the it for most people. I started out with a weight set from a box store, bent the bar doing deadlifts. Still use the plates but the bar saw the exit pretty quickly.

Last edited by booker; 09-14-2014 at 14:14.
booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:28   #26
PhyrricVictory
Asset

I started with a $300 craigslist deal with 300lb of free weights, oly bar, ez-curl bar and a Marcy bench/squat/pulldown station with adjustable bench. Last year I bought a Rogue Economy Bar because the chrome was flaking off my cheap-o bar. The difference is HUGE in quality, I also think it gives you a different feel. I highly recommend one if you are to replace any one piece of equipment from an economy set. I started with using puzzle mats, but once you get around 300lbs on a squat (I weigh 215) your heels start really sinking into the mat when you drive out of the hole.
PhyrricVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:44   #27
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I'm getting there. I'm thinking rubber matting for the floor. Also, I'm getting swayed toward the Rogue stuff, but crap it's expensive.

I still haven't figured what type of aerobic machine, if any, to get. These p90x/insanity-type hiit routines work so well, and I will have a tv in the gym, plus I have a good 5k here on the farm, make it a little tough to justify the extra $.
I personally would not buy ROUGE for the cost. You can find cheaper equipment at or just about at the same quality. I could provide you some links if you haven't purchased any. The Large Animal Matting is something I was going to suggest. Or going on line and purchasing 1/2" rolled rubber matting.

On your Cardo Equipment are you looking something that is low impact or you good with just running on a treadmill or want a treadmill over something else? They are making elliptical that give you a running strides.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 14:53   #28
VVVV

The only bar I'd put in a home gym for a good workout....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg urbanbourbon.jpg (36.7 KB, 17 views)