Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 06-16-2005, 20:36   #16
Dustin03
Guerrilla

i've completed this workout a while back and was somewhat challenged my it. I'm now working on a new workout very simular to this six days a week and weight training 3 days a week.

I would like to know if anybody out there has a good swim workout for a novice swimmer. I can swim and i have good forms, but i tire easily and usually have to take it 25m at a time. This is just something extra to throw in to the mix and brake up the normal day to day routine.
Dustin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 22:01   #17
The Dave
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin03
i've completed this workout a while back and was somewhat challenged my it. I'm now working on a new workout very simular to this six days a week and weight training 3 days a week.

I would like to know if anybody out there has a good swim workout for a novice swimmer. I can swim and i have good forms, but i tire easily and usually have to take it 25m at a time. This is just something extra to throw in to the mix and brake up the normal day to day routine.
Is it your legs, or arms that usually get tired when swimming? Or both? For me it was my legs, and I started to use a kickboard. Did that for a while, and it really helped me. When I first started swimming again, I would also try and go pretty fast, which was hurting my form. I slowed it down, made sure I had proper form, and seemed to glide a bit farther too.
The Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 22:04   #18
Jgood
Quiet Professional

Kickboards work well i also try to use fins(start out slowly or your ankles will hate you)..and break it up swim a lap with just your legs or arms with fins then with out..
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 22:41   #19
Dustin03
Guerrilla

great i'll got on that. my arms are the only thing that get somewhat tired, and i usually go into a sidestroke because for me it's a good recovery stroke. My big thing is i feel like im outta breath. When i run i dont lose my breath as fast as I do when i'm swimming, i mean 25m and i stop to catch my breath.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:40   #20
TFM
Guerrilla

Quote:
my arms are the only thing that get somewhat tired, and i usually go into a sidestroke because for me it's a good recovery stroke. My big thing is i feel like im outta breath.
I have devoted a fair amount of time to research this as I have had the same problem. What I have found from the "experts" is that your legs should do most of the work (kick from the hip). Also, the more you breath the better. Exhale underwater, tilt your head to the side and inhale. Then back underwater. The position of your hands when you pull back on the stroke (90°) is also important as well as how far you extend the arm when you pull back (elbo should stay close to parallel with your side). I try to cut rest periods to less than 60 sec. The SFAS prep book says 500 meters minimum. Thats a start.
TFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:24   #21
jatx
Area Commander

Start with this:

10 minute stretch
200 warm-up (any stroke)
4*50 sprint freestyle
2*200 kick w/ zoomers and board
2*200 freestyle w/ pull buoy
2*100 cool down (any stroke)

This adds up to 8/10 of a mile. If the workout is a stretch for you, add extra rest between sections but do not get out of the water until it is complete. Once you're comfortable with this (and your ankles, knees and hips have adjusted to the zoomers), slowly work up to this:

10 minute stretch
400 warm-up (any stroke)
8*50 sprint freestyle
5*200 kick w/ zoomers & board
4*200 freestyle w/ pull buoy
4*100 sprint w/ zoomers
200 cool-down

This adds up to about 1.8 miles. I do this (or a close variant) five days per week and it takes about an hour. After six months, I have lost 35 lbs of lard, gained muscle mass, and seen significant improvements to my flexibility and resistance to injury. I am now adding KBs into the mix again three days per week, as well. I run very little because I am old and somewhat injury prone, but YMMV and I am not headed to SFAS in the immediate future.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:50   #22
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Sounds more like a Pre-SCUBA prep than a SFAS workout. Keep iy up and you'll need gills. Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:12   #23
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino
Sounds more like a Pre-SCUBA prep than a SFAS workout. Keep iy up and you'll need gills. Peregrino
Tell me about it! Seriously, though, for some of these young bucks the goal of conditioning is "simply" to get to a high enough fitness level to be successful at SFAS. For me, it is to get to that level with the knowledge that I can maintain it without constant overuse injuries. This means gradual improvements in joint strength and extra focus on flexibility and strength throughout the entire range of motion. If I can't pull all that together, I'll need to find another way to serve my country. In the meantime, I'm working on my gills.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
Old 06-17-2005, 12:49   #24
skipjack
Auxiliary

Hey, had I known what Bones Fork Creek and Scuba Road were going to be like, that swimming might have prepared me better for SFAS...lol. Then I might have been a Star 1 "Go" instead of a Star 2 "Go". j/k. Any kind of training helps, and swimming is great training to incorporate into any workout, just don't put the Rucksack down and only focus on the swimming!

-skipjack
skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 17:44   #25
Dustin03
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx
Start with this:

10 minute stretch
200 warm-up (any stroke)
4*50 sprint freestyle
2*200 kick w/ zoomers and board
2*200 freestyle w/ pull buoy
2*100 cool down (any stroke)

This adds up to 8/10 of a mile. If the workout is a stretch for you, add extra rest between sections but do not get out of the water until it is complete. Once you're comfortable with this (and your ankles, knees and hips have adjusted to the zoomers), slowly work up to this:

10 minute stretch
400 warm-up (any stroke)
8*50 sprint freestyle
5*200 kick w/ zoomers & board
4*200 freestyle w/ pull buoy
4*100 sprint w/ zoomers
200 cool-down

This adds up to about 1.8 miles. I do this (or a close variant) five days per week and it takes about an hour. After six months, I have lost 35 lbs of lard, gained muscle mass, and seen significant improvements to my flexibility and resistance to injury. I am now adding KBs into the mix again three days per week, as well. I run very little because I am old and somewhat injury prone, but YMMV and I am not headed to SFAS in the immediate future.
sounds solid, i'll give it a try, especially since my freakin shin splints came back today on a 4 mile run Any advice on these? I think it might be my shoes or the way i hve them tied (too tight)

i'm assuming by "zoomers" you mean rocket fins?

I think what part of my problem is i hold my breath for 4 strokes then when i tilt my head to breath i'm exhale/inhaling all at that one instance. I'll try and remember to blow out with my head still down.
Old 06-17-2005, 18:01   #26
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyobanim
I found this while cleaning out my hard drive and thought someone might benefit from it. I can't remember where I found it or if it has been posted here before.

Attaining physical fitness is not an overnight process; the body must go through three stages:

a. The first is the toughening stage
b. The slow improvement stage
c. The sustaining stage is the third stage

The Soldiers who prepare for SFAS through PT should succeed at SFAS.
This is from the booklet the SF Recruiters were giving out back in 1995 when I was getting ready for SFAS. It's a good starting point, but since then MSG Rex Dodson and I have written a guide to preparing for SFAS that takes this booklet and puts it on steroids (for lack of a better analogy - NOT that we endorse steroids).

GET SELECTED FOR SPECIAL FORCES: How to Successfully Train for and Complete Assessment and Selection is the product of the lessons learned preparing inexperienced soldiers (18Xs) for SFAS. It goes into detail of what you must know to succeed.

There are 7 reasons why people fail at SFAS. One of the problems with the booklet was that it only addresses 2 of the 7 reasons (PT and Land Nav). 2 out of 7 is 28%...which explains why only about 30-35% of candidates pass SFAS...compared with SOPC where they graduate at 70% or higher...more than double that active duty enlisted average!

Reverse engineering was the key. We identified all of the reasons why people were unsuccessful, then developed comprehensive plans to minimize or eliminate each of the factors and voila, a formula for success. How else could we train 18Xs to the level that at SFAS we consistently have some finish higher than Active Duty Infantry Officers?

Want the details? Read Chapter 5 in GET SELECTED FOR SPECIAL FORCES available from the Special Operations Warrior Foundation's Web Site at www.specialops.org
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 21:48   #27
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
sounds solid, i'll give it a try, especially since my freakin shin splints came back today on a 4 mile run Any advice on these? I think it might be my shoes or the way i hve them tied (too tight)

i'm assuming by "zoomers" you mean rocket fins?

I think what part of my problem is i hold my breath for 4 strokes then when i tilt my head to breath i'm exhale/inhaling all at that one instance. I'll try and remember to blow out with my head still down.
Dustin, you should get checked to make sure that you don't have a stress fracture. Other than that, I am no running coach, but you might get good results from "running" using an AquaJogger - it basically holds you upright while you "run" in deep water. You will maintain most of your running-specific fitness while your body heals. Just something to consider, it has helped me through previous injuries. Plus, it has the added benefit of looking like a giant blue styrofoam diaper.

In re: Zoomers, they are a brand of fin, much shorter in length than dive fins and they'll give you a good workout wihout disrupting your entire stroke. They also place less stress on your knees and ankles. I like them a lot and am a big believer in finning for general fitness and flexibility.

If you are having problems with stroke mechanics, find a local Y or masters swim team and take a couple of lessons. You should be breathing every other stroke in the pool, every third stroke in open water if you are bilateral breathing. Every four strokes must be hellish, especially if your stroke is still coming together. This should be an easy issue to overcome, though. You might also ask the coach to teach you some drills designed to improve stroke efficiency and your skulling motion, which you can practice during your warm-ups and cool-downs.

Take care of those shin splints and good luck!

Old 06-17-2005, 22:34   #28
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

SHIN SPLINTS

Quote:
Here's the deal on SHIN SPLINTS...

First, you probably aren't stretching your CALVES sufficiently before AND after each of your runs. The best way to stretch your calf is to stand with your toes on a curb and your heel on the street and lean into it. Another way is to get into a push up position, then, keeping your knees lock straight, walk your hands closer to your feet until your heels almost touch the ground. Hold this for 10-15 seconds and slowly let it out. Repeat.

Second, AGE matters. Not your age either. When's the last time you bought a pair of RUNNING SHOES? If they're over 6 months old, you're due for a new pair. Every time I get shin splints, it's because my shoes are worn out.

Third, SIZE matters. When you buy the running shoes, make sure they're the right size. Don't measure size with a Brannock Device (the metal measuring device at shoe stores). You must go off feel, not the size. Different manufacturers have different standards for size. Remember, your feet expand from the pounding when you run, so you need the size to accomodate for it.

What's the right size for a running shoe?
The rule of thumb is to keep trying on bigger and bigger sizes until the shoes feel like clown feet. then go back down a 1/2 size and you have the correct size. I got this tip from Phil Maffetone, who coached the World Ultra Distance record Holder, Stu Mittleman (www.worldultrafit.com/whois.html). Trust me it works.

Fourth, what SURFACE are you running on? Concrete (side walks) is the hardest and worst for your legs, knees, etc. Asphalt (roads) is a close second. The best is a soft surface like grass or sand. Consider changing your route to a softer area.

Fifth, consider changing your CARDIO CYCLE (how often you do what types of exercise). You can still do Cardio everyday (or almost everyday) as you like. Just minimze the impact cardio. Instead of running, get on an elliptical trainer. Take a bike ride once a week. Swim. Anything that lets you get the heart rate up without pounding on your shins until your body has a chance to strech the calves out again and reduce the swelling in your shins.

Finally, RICE is the doctor approved method for recovery. RICE works (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation). Ice your shins for a couple minutes every night and elevate them above your heart while watching TV or sleeping.

Want to know more about foot care and reducing or preventing injuries? Read Chapters 8 and 9 in GET SELECTED FOR SPECIAL FORCES available from the Special Operations Warrior Foundation at http://www.specialops.org/news.asp#book

Last edited by Warrior-Mentor; 06-18-2005 at 16:51.
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:59   #29
Dustin03
Guerrilla

wow, thanks gentlemen, It's always great to get info from the men that have been there and know what it takes to get ready for SF. This has got to be some of the best information I have been given in a while. I'm going to print this off and share with some of the guys I know also getting prepared.

The book will be on order Monday AM sir.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:58   #30
jon448
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx

If you are having problems with stroke mechanics, find a local Y or masters swim team and take a couple of lessons. You should be breathing every other stroke in the pool, every third stroke in open water if you are bilateral breathing. Every four strokes must be hellish, especially if your stroke is still coming together. This should be an easy issue to overcome, though. You might also ask the coach to teach you some drills designed to improve stroke efficiency and your skulling motion, which you can practice during your warm-ups and cool-downs.

Take care of those shin splints and good luck!
Jatx,
I'm actually more of a fan of bilateral breathing when you're even just working out which would force you to breathe every 3rd stroke, unless we're just having stroke counting issues which happens. But if you breathe consistantly to the same side you can either A)develop a hitch in your stroke which reduces effiency or B)put more stress on the off shoulder because when you breathe you typically push harder with the opposite arm so it increases the stress on the rotator cuff. Sorry I'm just getting involved in the swimming discussion now but I missed this topic earlier. Since my winter job is coaching high school swimming I figured I'd toss in my .02. If anyone has specific questions either making up a workout or stroke issues feel free to PM me.