Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 12-20-2009, 20:59   #61
Grey1
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Good program.

Too much yelling, IMHO.

Maybe the cut down to two weeks requires a big smoker early in the course. Or maybe it is the younger age of the candidates.

I am not a fan of the technique. Tell the candidates what to do and let them go.

The biometric monitoring is something that has been needed for a long time. Glad to see it added.

For those thinking that they will G2 the course from this show, I suspect that it has already changed significantly. Good luck.

TR

Is it possible that the yelling is a result of producers wanting a more "dramatic" show? I mean, someone, somewhere gave this a green light... is that same person one that could dictate the "mood" of the course to pander to hollywood? From the old school gents I have talked to, the lack of yelling/screaming in the course is designed to weed out those that don't possess the depth of faith in themselves to push themselves to excellence without being coached to it.

I still have yet to see the program tonight (going off the previews and other comments so far), we are hours behind regular times for shows. Just my .02

I have other thoughts on the possible reasons behind the presentation, but I'll keep those to myself for now. Time for evening PT before the show
Grey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 21:01   #62
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey1 View Post
Is it possible that the yelling is a result of producers wanting a more "dramatic" show? I mean, someone, somewhere gave this a green light... is that same person one that could dictate the "mood" of the course to pander to hollywood? From the old school gents I have talked to, the lack of yelling/screaming in the course is designed to weed out those that don't possess the depth of faith in themselves to push themselves to excellence without being coached to it.

I still have yet to see the program tonight (going off the previews and other comments so far), we are hours behind regular times for shows. Just my .02

I have other thoughts on the possible reasons behind the presentation, but I'll keep those to myself for now. Time for evening PT before the show
No.

You should keep your opinion and questions to yourself until you have seen the video, and probably till you have been selected.

Best of luck, and stay out of The Monkey Bar.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 21:08   #63
MackallResident
Auxiliary

I enjoyed the program. Saw a couple of places I recognize(I believe), at least nasty nick. I was talking to my buddy at Carson on and off throughout, and he said it was similar to what he went through(he finished the whole shebang earlier this year). I think it was great for Discovery to put it out there.

I wish it was in my best interest to be assessed, but I am going a different route to the unconventional Army, so you "candidates" give it your best shot, and I'll give you a ride in a few years

Keep the faith, MC
MackallResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 21:18   #64
chapollin
SF Candidate

good program! now back to pt! I'LL be there in few months
chapollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 21:32   #65
deepblack 18x
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapollin View Post
good program! now back to pt! I'LL be there in few months
Don't lie to the board, the GT score you told me you had does not make you qualified for training.
deepblack 18x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 21:54   #66
Defender968
SF Candidate

Quote:
Good program.

Too much yelling, IMHO.

Maybe the cut down to two weeks requires a big smoker early in the course. Or maybe it is the younger age of the candidates.

I am not a fan of the technique. Tell the candidates what to do and let them go.

The biometric monitoring is something that has been needed for a long time. Glad to see it added.

For those thinking that they will G2 the course from this show, I suspect that it has already changed significantly. Good luck.

TR

TR in our class there was not that much yelling, still plenty of sarcasm, but mostly in a lowered voice, during log pt there was yelling, but not that much.

Unless we were an anomaly they have done away with the biometric monitoring already. They still have tracking ability, but unless it was able to get biometric stats without touching the body it didn't collect it.

I was little surprised at some of the techniques it showed for cadre during the Star, I personally would rather they not have showed that, some may do the right thing when they might normally not because they know the capabilities and some of the SOP the cadre are using.

I also am surprised how much of team week they showed, IMO it will provide an edge that we didn't have on several of the events that others didn't have. The course has changed some, but I also saw a lot of things that were the same.

Overall I thought it was pretty well done, and I enjoyed watching it with my wife, I saw some familiar faces and she got to see some of what I did. I personally don’t think it gave away to much more than can be currently found in books and on the internet with a little searching. One can have a pretty good idea of what to expect if one chooses, but I don’t think there’s a way around that in the information age, but that’s just my .02.
Defender968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 22:23   #67
CSB
Quiet Professional

As you may have noticed from my earlier post, I was concerned that the show might be exactly that: a show in the nature of a frat hazing, with the pledges barfing to amuse the viewer.

Thank God it was not such a video.

It was as fair and accurate a view of SFAS as we are likely to see from Hollywood.

Many years ago (too many years than I would like to admit to) I penciled in the following when briefing candidates for Special Forces, before there was an SFAS. But now I submit it to Camp Mackall, with all copyrights thereunto appertaining, for such use as they may feel appropriate:

United States Army Special Forces

You need not be the strongest, but you must be strong;
You need not be the leader, but you must lead;
You need not be the most intelligent, but you must be intelligent;
You should not be the follower, but you must follow.

You must love the Constitution of United States of America,
the Government it created, and the Nation it serves.

You may not succeed,
but if you fail,
let no blame rightfully be placed upon you.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 22:25   #68
chapollin
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblack 18x View Post
Don't lie to the board, the GT score you told me you had does not make you qualified for training.
Kid! When you speak 4 different languages, had served you country honorably and went through some of the hardest us army courses 3 points on a GT score can be waved. For a kid that has not even been through basic training you are not looking to smart, if anyone have any question just pm me.
chapollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 22:51   #69
Costa
SF Candidate

Thought the show was pretty good but I thought they should have mentioned a few things about security clearance and a little summary of SFQC to show what was in store.

oh yea, I think I hear incoming.

Last edited by Costa; 12-20-2009 at 22:55.
Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 00:15   #70
Grey1
SF Candidate

Quote:
No.

You should keep your opinion and questions to yourself until you have seen the video, and probably till you have been selected.

Best of luck, and stay out of The Monkey Bar.

TR
Roger that. Moving out.
Grey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 00:33   #71
McFearless
SF Candidate

Personally, I enjoyed the show. My wife and I watched it a few hours ago. Informative and a nice look at what's in store. Still very excited... and nervous.
McFearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 00:35   #72
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Entertaining....

Cp Mackall has changed a lot since I left in 2003....

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 00:48   #73
cornelyj
Guerrilla

Just added rolling left and rolling right into my PT program...
There is no magic about being an officer, it is just a different level of responsibility with additional demands to that puts the burden on your shoulders for everything your team does or fails to do.

-Jack M.
cornelyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 00:51   #74
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mffjm8509 View Post
Cp Mackall has changed a lot since I left in 2003....
Yeah...they changed the decor quite abit since '76...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:26   #75
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapollin View Post
Kid! When you speak 4 different languages, had served you country honorably and went through some of the hardest us army courses 3 points on a GT score can be waved. For a kid that has not even been through basic training you are not looking to smart, if anyone have any question just pm me.
We dont care how many languages you speak or what you have done in your past.

The standard is the standard and there is a reason for the it. My personally feeling -and one shared by many of my brethren- is it shouldnt be waved. That's one of the ways we will end up with the Regiment being "Average Forces." Unfortunately it is more important to fill the opening with anyone than the right "one" it would seem...

Go do PT.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 12-21-2009 at 04:46.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote