Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 04-20-2012, 09:30   #136
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
When I was in the 77th,I had a little judo training not much on attacking,but i really learned how to fall,my first 10 1 hr sessions were on just falling.......

Big Teddy
That technique worked out well for Zimmerman.
Old 05-05-2012, 22:04   #137
Sarski

Okay, QP Dusty...and group...my money is here...feeling comfey enough here on PS.com to share a video of me back in 2008. Thanks for letting me be a part. It is about 8 minutes. I think it might be my 2nd degree exam...not 100% sure...

It is linked to my website. Still have a few things to work on. But give me a break, I was 39 at the time.(I know, no excuse. My avitar comes up/plays in.)

http://doggy-pals.com/aikividjan08.html

Last edited by Sarski; 05-05-2012 at 22:08.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:29   #138
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 06-18-2012 at 10:24.
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:43   #139
JohnIll
Asset

h2h combat

I studied Okinawan Karate, Jujutsu under the Michael DePasquale system of Yoshitsune Jujutsu, JKD, Kempo and Black Tiger Kung Fu< well attended a few seminars, alot of ripping and tearing techniques ....(I hold no rank)

I moved on to Boxing< I found it much more realistic for my needs, Im not the greatest fighter in the world.. But Boxing prepared me for what its like to be in a truly violent situation, It helped me get in shape and get rid of the Social Anxiety of being in a fist fight, specially with cheering onlookers and jerks who get loud and obnoxious trying to intimidate you( bc their scared punks themselves).

I found everything is about your mind set, a defense mindset is gonna get you killed...You can study anything and if your mindset is wrong, the training will fail you..

I think a person should ask themselves if they are fight or flight>? If they are flight they need to seek more aggressive training instead of traditional MA based dealing with things more defensively...

Im now a strong advocate in the approach of simply taking your natural aggression (your fight and flight instincts) and honing it to the point of true (controlled chaos).

Just like the WW2 combatives like Defendu< A truly ruthless, godless approach to unarmed combat....Non nonsense Gutterfighting

Unfortunately, I know little about the world of "combatives" and Im sure there are planny of Mc Dojo's in "combatives" as in the traditional MA realm.

I have found a few schools of interest

1) Charlie Nelsons Self Defense system in Edison,NJ
Mr. Nelson has a direct linage to Fairburn under Sgt. Kelly and Colonel. A.J. Drexel Biddle ..you can check the website underneath

http://www.cnsds.com/about/charles-nelson

2) Mr. Lee Morrison's Urban Combatives< hes one of the baddest men i've ever seen....(also studied under Charlie Nelson)

Videos
http://www.urbancombatives.com/m_intro/about.htm

3) Keysi Fighting Method (from batman) rumored to be taught to the British SAS

4) Ex Navy SEAL Tim Larkin (target focus training)- He seems all about the money, Im sure. But I hear its pretty effective

In closing,

And though I'm no Olivier, if he fought Sugar Ray, he would say that the thing ain't the ring, it's the play. So, give me a stage where this bull here can rage, and though I can fight, I'd much rather recite. That's entertainment.

- Jake Lamatta

lol

-Hunter S. Thompson
JohnIll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 14:11   #140
Sarski

My take on it is this, JohnIll. There are many effective martial arts out there. I have not trained in any of them. Just because someone else is effective at teaching and doing the art they do, does not garuntee someone else taking those lessons will be that good. It all boils down to how many hours per day you spend training, practicing, studying, and perfecting your craft. And how good do you want to be? Is three days a week good enough? Four? How many weeks a year? Thirty nine? Fourty nine?

Secondly, there are a lot of teachers out there that are about the money, I have not trained with any of them.

Being about the money isn't all that bad. Afterall IF what they are teaching may someday save your life then you have to ask just how much is your life worth, and how bad do you want to learn what it is they have to offer.

Sure there may be somthing closer, and more within your budget that can be great as well, but if you find an instructor five states away that teaches what you want to learn, are you ready to pack up the wife and kids and move out there to work at a job and train with that person? Or go to college in that city to be with that instructor?

Your life should adapt and cater to the martial arts, not the other way around, that being the martial arts bending to suit your needs, and fit your perceptions.

As far as money goes, someone has to pay for the space, mat, rings, equipment, sports tape, insurance on the lease, electricity, parking lot re-striping, and so on if that stuff is used.

Anyways, just some food for thought!

Last edited by Sarski; 07-14-2012 at 14:19.
Old 07-14-2012, 14:54   #141
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarski View Post
Okay, QP Dusty...and group...my money is here...feeling comfey enough here on PS.com to share a video of me back in 2008. Thanks for letting me be a part. It is about 8 minutes. I think it might be my 2nd degree exam...not 100% sure...

It is linked to my website. Still have a few things to work on. But give me a break, I was 39 at the time.(I know, no excuse. My avitar comes up/plays in.)

http://doggy-pals.com/aikividjan08.html
Why won't you let those guys hold hands with you? You're all wearing skirts...

Seriously-kudos to your proficiency.

I don't knock aikido, I just prefer two pistols when I go out in public.
Old 07-14-2012, 15:19   #142
JohnIll
Asset

reply to sarski

Sarski,

Advice taken, lol.

I noticed on your Public Profile it states 4th dan in Aikido...I studied Aikido alittle bit( a few classes), mostly Daito Ryu ( I consider it the Tai Chi of the Japanese MA)I attended a few classes with Rick Stickles 8th dan I believe. I met Yamada Sensei in NY at a Aikido seminar.

The one MA I would really like to learn is Shorinji Kempo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPW9i...eature=related

and Wolfes Combatives

My hearts with Bill Wolfes Comabtives (Modern Defendo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsEj1...eature=related

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 07-14-2012, 15:50   #143
Sarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Why won't you let those guys hold hands with you? You're all wearing skirts...

Seriously-kudos to your proficiency.

I don't knock aikido, I just prefer two pistols when I go out in public.
Ha! If I had my way, I'd have a QP with two pistols with me when I went out in public!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIll View Post
Sarski,

Advice taken, lol.

I noticed on your Public Profile it states 4th dan in Aikido...I studied Aikido alittle bit( a few classes), mostly Daito Ryu ( I consider it the Tai Chi of the Japanese MA)I attended a few classes with Rick Stickles 8th dan I believe. I met Yamada Sensei in NY at a Aikido seminar.

The one MA I would really like to learn is Shorinji Kempo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPW9i...eature=related

and Wolfes Combatives

My hearts with Bill Wolfes Comabtives (Modern Defendo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsEj1...eature=related
Good luck with your training, whatever one you decide to do.

Last edited by Sarski; 07-14-2012 at 15:56.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:49   #144
zuluzerosix
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post
Seriously

What I like

Not for the kiddies for sure.

Carl Cestari is the man. His thoughts and ideas on unarmed combat are spot on. His Knife Defense Myth is 101% abso -freakin-lutely right on.
It speaks the truth.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:18   #145
JohnIll
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluzerosix View Post
Carl Cestari is the man. His thoughts and ideas on unarmed combat are spot on. His Knife Defense Myth is 101% abso -freakin-lutely right on.
It speaks the truth.
I couldn't agree more, I believe there is no such thing as knife defense only knife survival..

Cestari is a very knowledgeable, a very serious man and I enjoyed watching is videos. Its unfortunate a man with his knowledge passed away...

I'm a huge Fan of WW2 combatives, Cestari's linage comes from Nelsons Self defense system and various books written by Fairbairn and Applegate...Mr. Cestari has a predecessor, Clint Sporman.

So far the real deals I've seen in WW2 combat is the Nelson system, Cestari's "gutterfighting", Wolfe's combatives and Urban Combatives by Lee Morrison of the United Kingdom..

Morrison also trained in the Nelson system... I wish I lived closer in NJ to train in Nelson's SD system and or under Clint Sporman...

Anyway, my favorite system is ... Drum roll.... Ape-shitzu

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dj7Po8w0Dl1Y

^ this video is hilarious and a perfect example of the elusive Ape-ShiTZU XD

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 04-21-2014, 14:28   #146
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air.177 View Post
Anyone Study? What do you study, How long have you studied, Would you recommend your art to anyone else?
Ever notice the knife fighting experts teaching knife fighting without a scar on them?? amazing must be a born expert. Forget the hours of choregraphy that real martial arts experts spend for a movie to make sure noone gets hurt. Some guy from a XX Group told me about the ? levels of knife fighting and he bought it lock stock and barrell. You would think the instructor would have been in prison already honing his craft on his way to expertise. Especially if he is going to tell students how to kill with it, an expert implies alot of practice and real world experience.

Sort of like the neck break grappling instructors, they always talk about breaking a neck and yet you are hard pressed to find any facts confirming his neck breaking prowess. Hell the way some of these guys talk you would expect to see a daily stack of bodies laying in the alley with broken necks from all his real world hands on experience.

Tae Kwon Do- Ever tried using any of this stuff while in kit or just weight on your back?

Boxing- I like it but hopefully my hands are controlling weapons I carry and if I break my shooting hand. In the street out of uniform keeps me on my feet.

Muay Thai- Good leg/elbow hand stuff you can use when restricted by equipment. In the street gives me more weapons to stay on my feet

Ju Jitsu- Ground based so you need to be OK laying on the ground while being monkey stomped, it is great training for getting off your back or fighting from your back if there. Has great chokes if I end up on the ground.

Catch Wrestling- Great and unlike Ju Jitsu is about top riding time and top control but the submissions are the same just different objectives but does not teach chokes. Great for putting someone on the ground keeping them there then smashing there head with a brick.

Sambo- Excellent art but is designed around WW1 Russia war fighting capability but more complete than CW or JJ.

Modern Army Combatives- Is good but starts out on the ground and we hopefully understand most if not all fights start on our feet and in our minds. Mimics MMA the sport too close. Should start with stand up first and grappling added.

Special operations Combatives Program- Designed around and for CQB a short version of tier ones program. Has a specfic purpose.

Krav Maga/H.A.G.A.N.A. etc... What people here do is only a smell of what the real Israeli's do. 3 weeks to earn the rite to be a certified instructor with no real world experience don't cut it. The concept is realistic if you approach the training having BTDT

And alot more

The bottom line is if you ever run across stuff that doesn't pass the common sense test move on.

I have been doing this stuff since I was a kid mostly live stuff tournaments and in back alleys etc.......if it doesn't make sense don't waste your time. If you are wanting to learn martial arts to feel safer and secure while out on the town they all serve that purpose. You want real stuff then train live stuff then seek to build on what you are training live. Go into a bar or a rough side of town and look around and ask your self the survivability of getting attacked there and laying on the ground trying to defend and tap someone out without backup. That is not to say that chokes don't work but arm bars are submission holds and though you can break arms how well can you do that getting stomped? Stay on your feet and run for your life is the correct answer from my experience. Never go there again unarmed and without backup or better yet it isn't your turf and you have no reason to be there so stay away. Been in a few and the situations develop so fast next thing you know you are in over your head ambushed!!. Grew up in rough areas and the survivability for someone non indigenous is low and depends on the mercy of the crowd and their purpose. If they want your money give it up and live to fight another day.

Hopefully you are getting the idea it is about surviving and not fighting 1 on 1.
Your no. 1 weapon is your intelligence and S/A.

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 04-21-2014 at 20:19.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 20:33   #147
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
When I was in the 77th,I had a little judo training not much on attacking,but i really learned how to fall,my first 10 1 hr sessions were just on falling.......

Big Teddy

Interesting, did you know that the Japanese paid for and brought western boxers to teach the Japanese boxing? The boxers noted that the average Japanese soldier lacked the aggression needed to box.

Apparently the Japanese with the advent of modern weapons and since the fall of old Samurai system were concerned with the lack of aggression of the Japanese soldiers since most were not from warrior clans and bred for battle like the pre-WW1 era.
Old 04-21-2014, 20:37   #148
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
Interesting, did you know that the Japanese paid for and brought western boxers to teach the Japanese boxing? The boxers noted that the average Japanese soldier lacked the aggression needed to box.

Apparently the Japanese with the advent of modern weapons and since the fall of old Samurai system were concerned with the lack of aggression of the Japanese soldiers since most were not from warrior clans and bred for battle like the pre-WW1 era.
Teddy (greenberetTFS) who made the comment two years ago that you referenced, has passed (hence the RIP after his name), so we will never know if he knew that or not.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 20:54   #149
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Teddy (greenberetTFS) who made the comment two years ago that you referenced, has passed (hence the RIP after his name), so we will never know if he knew that or not.

TR
Damn I gotta wake up and pay attention to the posts.

Thanks for pointing that out
Old 05-05-2014, 09:16   #150
Kasik
Quiet Professional

Datu Kelly Worden

Over the years Kenpo Karate, Kali, Silat and JKD.

Presently re-starting with Datu Kelly Worden in his "Essential 24" program as taught to 1st Group at Lewis.

http://www.kellyworden.com/