Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 07-03-2017, 07:47   #31
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

I've been on an E.H. Taylor small batch kick lately. It received a double gold medal at the San Francisco World Spirits competition this year, and it's not too pricey at $42/bottle. It may be difficlut to locate, and I'm surprised I can find it less than 10 minutes away from my home in the Utah Caliphate.

If you can find the single barrel ($60/btl), it might be worth a go, too. It beat out the Pappy Van Winkle 23 year in 2012.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:33   #32
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Year to year, batch to batch, and even barrel to barrel, it changes.

Consider that with all of the premium selections today, the overall quality of the more common stuff has got to be down.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 19:14   #33
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Year to year, batch to batch, and even barrel to barrel, it changes.

Consider that with all of the premium selections today, the overall quality of the more common stuff has got to be down.

TR
Out of curiosity I looked up the Clan name, not sure who McPhail is but a Gordon should know something of the fine spirit. Looks like a good place to gain some understanding.

https://www.gordonandmacphail.com/about-us/

By dand
In keeping with the theme : The image is from 1880 when the Gordon Highlanders 92nd Battle of Kandahar

Edit: Penn , I saw an add here in Colorado for a small distillery that made me think...." The difference between us and many other distillers is that we actually have a distiller".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gordon Highlanders Kandahar 92.jpg (108.5 KB, 16 views)

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 07-04-2017 at 06:57.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 22:20   #34
mojaveman
Area Commander

So I'm cheap. Anybody else like Old Crow?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old%20crow.jpg (91.5 KB, 17 views)
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 21:14   #35
SF-TX
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
I've been on an E.H. Taylor small batch kick lately. It received a double gold medal at the San Francisco World Spirits competition this year, and it's not too pricey at $42/bottle. It may be difficlut to locate, and I'm surprised I can find it less than 10 minutes away from my home in the Utah Caliphate.

If you can find the single barrel ($60/btl), it might be worth a go, too. It beat out the Pappy Van Winkle 23 year in 2012.
Just finished my bottle of E.H. Taylor Single Barrel. That and the small batch are two of my current favorites. For best bang for the buck, I like Buffalo Trace and Evan Williams Single Barrel.

I hold it as a principle that the duration of peace is in direct proportion to the slaughter you inflict on the enemy. –Gen. Mikhail Skobelev
SF-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:56   #36
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
There is going to be a radical transformation in the industry as the new boutique distillery enter the market. A market that has been more than comfortable, not competing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/bu...lers.html?_r=0
I know Penn's post is older, but these boutique brands are popping up constantly and most can be traced back to just a few distilleries. Rather than distill their own spirits, they order a blended recipe to achieve a flavor profile from a major distiller that provides the spirits for many different brands. One of the largest is in Southern Indiana. And if you are a fan of the many Rye whiskeys that have come to market in the last few years, you thank this distiller's acquisition of the defunct Seagram's high rye that was in barrels when they went under.

LINK

Quote:
Lawrenceburg, Indiana (not to be confused with bourbon-locale Lawrenceburg, Kentucky) is home to a massive brick complex that cranks out mega-industrial quantities of beverage-grade alcohol. The factory, once a Seagram distillery, has changed hands over the decades and was most recently acquired by food-ingredient corporation MGP. It is now a one-stop shop for marketers who want to bottle their own brands of spirits without having to distill the product themselves. MGP sells them bulk vodka and gin, as well as a large selection of whiskies, including bourbons of varying recipes, wheat whiskey, corn whiskey, and rye. (They also make “food grade industrial alcohol” used in everything from solvents and antiseptics to fungicides.) Their products are well-made, but hardly what one thinks of as artisanal. And yet, much of the whiskey now being sold as the hand-crafted product of micro-distilleries actually comes from this one Indiana factory.
Quote:
The following is a listing of whiskeys that are likely distilled by MGP:

31 N 50 Bourbon (Dry Diggings)
4 Spirits Bourbon (4 Spirits)
1888 Bourbon (Diversa Brands)
99 Bottles Bourbon & Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
Angel's Envy Rye (Louisville Distilling Co.)
Backbone Bourbon (Crossroads Vitners/Strong Spirits)
Belle Meade Bourbon (Nelson's Greenbriar)
Big Ass Bourbon (Strong Spirits)
Big Bottom Bourbon (Big Bottom)
Big House Bourbon (Underdog Spirits)
Big Y Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
Bone Snapper Rye (Strong Spirits)
Breaker Bourbon (Ascendant Spirits)
Bulleit Rye (Diageo)
Chattanooga Whiskey 1816 Reserve (Chattanooga Whiskey Co.)
Clarion Bourbon and Blended Whiskey (Distilled Spirits Epicenter)
Cleveland Rye Whiskey (Cleveland Whiskey)
Coney Island Carlo Bourbon (Terresentia)
Copper City Straight Bourbon (Arizona Distilling Co.)
Corn Star Corn Whiskey (Bardstown Barrel Selections)
Cougar Bourbon & Rye (Foster's)
Defiance Whiskey (Crown Valley Distilling)
Filibuster Bourbon Rye (M.S. Trading LP)
George Dickel Rye (George Dickel)
George Remus Bourbon & Rye (Queen City Whiskey/Strong Spirits)
Henderson Rye (North Texas Distillers)
High Liquors Bourbon & Rye (High Liquors)
High West (an an element of many of their whiskeys blends)
Homestead Bourbon (Homestead American whiskey)
Hooker's House (some of their bourbons and their rye; Prohibition Spirits)
J. Green Bourbon and Rye (Shadow Beverage Group)
James E. Pepper 1776 Rye (James E. Pepper/Strong Spirits)
J.R. Revelry Bourbon (La Bodega Internacional/Speakeasy Spirits)
Joint Bourbon (Temperance Distilling Co.)
Knotter Bourbon & Rye (Blaum Bros.)
LeMont Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
Mosswood American Light Whiskey (Mosswood Distillers)
O.K.I. Bourbon and Rye (New Riff Distilling)
Pinhook Bourbon (CJS Beverage Corp.)
Prichard's Rye (Prichard's)
Redemption Bourbon & Rye (Bardstown Barrel Selections)
Riverboat Rye (Bardstown Barrel Selections)
Rough Rider Bourbon & Rye (Long Island Spirits)
Seagram's 7 Blended Whiskey (Diageo)
Single Track Rye (Range and River Distilling)
Smokin' Joe's Bourbon & Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
Smooth Ambler Old Scout Bourbon, Rye and Corn Whiskey (Smooth Ambler)
Smuggler's Notch Rye
Spirit of America Bourbon (Hobson & Roberts)
Spring Mill Bourbon (Heartland Distillers)
Taos Lightning (KGB Spirits)
Temperance Trader (American Whiskey and some bourbon; Bull Run Distilling)
Templeton Rye (Templeton)
Temptation Bourbon (Bardstown Barrel Selections)
The Saloon Bourbon & Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)
Tin Cup Whiskey (Proximo Spirits)
Troubadour Bourbon (The Original Texas Legend Distillery)
WH Harrison Bourbon (Tipton Spirits)
Widow Jane Rye (Cacao Prieto)
Willett Rye (Indiana ryes)
Winghart's Bourbon & Rye (PA Private Label Spirits)

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:45   #37
SF-TX
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
I know Penn's post is older, but these boutique brands are popping up constantly and most can be traced back to just a few distilleries.
I found myself gravitating towards certain bourbon's, based on the flavor profile. After reading the following article, I realized it was because many of those I like probably started out with the same mash bill, or recipe. The differences in flavor are due to the difference in ageing and blending.

Quote:
The Bourbon Family Tree

...In this chart—excerpted from _The Kings County Distillery Guide to Urban Moonshining, _on shelves now—the guys behind Brooklyn's oldest craft distillery parse out, once and for all, the complicated kissing cousins of the bluegrass state's bourbon industry.

This chart shows the major distilleries operating in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Indiana, grouped horizontally by corporate owner, then subdivided by distillery. Each tree shows the type of whiskey made, and the various expressions of each style of whiskey or mash bill, in the case of bourbons. For instance, Basil Hayden’s is a longer-aged version of Old Grand-Dad, and both are made at the Jim Beam Distillery. Some of this is imprecise. Buffalo Trace has two bourbon mash bills, but it isn’t known which of its many brands are made from each, so this is a rough guess based on online commentary.

http://www.gq.com/story/bourbon-whiskey-family-tree
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bourbon-family-tree-large.jpg (82.8 KB, 32 views)

I hold it as a principle that the duration of peace is in direct proportion to the slaughter you inflict on the enemy. –Gen. Mikhail Skobelev

Last edited by SF-TX; 07-05-2017 at 08:50.
SF-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:00   #38
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Glen Breton Special Operations Executive (SOE) Commemorative

[Pulling this over from the Comedy Zone AO...as the conversation began to be more "serious"]

Quote:
This whisky was created in conjunction with the SOE Anniversary committee. 2020 marks the 80th anniversary of the creation of the Special Operations Executive (SOE).
Glen Breton Whiskey

Canadian and Blended... not usually my thing but looking to see if anyone has wandered across this?

R10

James Madison

Last edited by Ret10Echo; 03-30-2021 at 10:03.
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:59   #39
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
[Pulling this over from the Comedy Zone AO...as the conversation began to be more "serious"]

Glen Breton Whiskey

Canadian and Blended... not usually my thing but looking to see if anyone has wandered across this?

R10
I have a client from Nova Scotia who swears by Glen Breton and has lamented lack of availability due to COVID. I have not tried it.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:47   #40
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

What, no Black Velvet fans here?

Humor intended. When working in the woods logging it was a whiskey of choice as consumed occasionally by loggers for reasons, probably mostly price.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:49   #41
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey View Post
What, no Black Velvet fans here?

Humor intended. When working in the woods logging it was a whiskey of choice as consumed occasionally by loggers for reasons, probably mostly price.
Plastic bottles ...

Shudder

James Madison
Old 03-31-2021, 11:18   #42
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Plastic bottles ...

Shudder

Don't turn your nose up too far; keeping a whisky that comes in a plastic bottle handy for cretins who like to color their whisky with a splash of coke saves the good stuff for more discerning palates.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 15:42   #43
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Don't turn your nose up too far; keeping a whisky that comes in a plastic bottle handy for cretins who like to color their whisky with a splash of coke saves the good stuff for more discerning palates.
A man well spoken...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 18:54   #44
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Yeah....I'm out

James Madison
Old 04-08-2021, 17:40   #45
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
MRE liquor... interesting 3rd paragraph...
I hear good things about the Bourbon.

https://leatherwooddistillery.com/our-story

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote