Old 02-21-2004, 08:22   #1
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief

Roger Donlon

1st MOH from Vietnam and a hell of a nice man.

DONLON, ROGER HUGH C.

Rank and organization: Captain, U.S. Army.
Place and date: Near Nam Dong, Republic of Vietnam 6 July 1964. Entered service at: Fort Chaffee, Ark.
Born: 30 January 1934, Saugerties, N.Y.
G.O. No.: 41, 17 December 1964.

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while defending a U.S. military installation against a fierce attack by hostile forces. Capt. Donlon was serving as the commanding officer of the U.S. Army Special Forces Detachment A-726 at Camp Nam Dong when a reinforced Viet Cong battalion suddenly launched a full-scale, predawn attack on the camp. During the violent battle that ensued, lasting 5 hours and resulting in heavy casualties on both sides, Capt. Donlon directed the defense operations in the midst of an enemy barrage of mortar shells, falling grenades, and extremely heavy gunfire. Upon the initial onslaught, he swiftly marshaled his forces and ordered the removal of the needed ammunition from a blazing building. He then dashed through a hail of small arms and exploding hand grenades to abort a breach of the main gate. En route to this position he detected an enemy demolition team of 3 in the proximity of the main gate and quickly annihilated them. Although exposed to the intense grenade attack, he then succeeded in reaching a 60mm mortar position despite sustaining a severe stomach wound as he was within 5 yards of the gun pit. When he discovered that most of the men in this gunpit were also wounded, he completely disregarded his own injury, directed their withdrawal to a location 30 meters away, and again risked his life by remaining behind and covering the movement with the utmost effectiveness. Noticing that his team sergeant was unable to evacuate the gun pit he crawled toward him and, while dragging the fallen soldier out of the gunpit, an enemy mortar exploded and inflicted a wound in Capt. Donlon's left shoulder. Although suffering from multiple wounds, he carried the abandoned 60mm mortar weapon to a new location 30 meters away where he found 3 wounded defenders. After administering first aid and encouragement to these men, he left the weapon with them, headed toward another position, and retrieved a 57mm recoilless rifle. Then with great courage and coolness under fire, he returned to the abandoned gun pit, evacuated ammunition for the 2 weapons, and while crawling and dragging the urgently needed ammunition, received a third wound on his leg by an enemy hand grenade. Despite his critical physical condition, he again crawled 175 meters to an 81mm mortar position and directed firing operations which protected the seriously threatened east sector of the camp. He then moved to an eastern 60mm mortar position and upon determining that the vicious enemy assault had weakened, crawled back to the gun pit with the 60mm mortar, set it up for defensive operations, and turned it over to 2 defenders with minor wounds. Without hesitation, he left this sheltered position, and moved from position to position around the beleaguered perimeter while hurling hand grenades at the enemy and inspiring his men to superhuman effort. As he bravely continued to move around the perimeter, a mortar shell exploded, wounding him in the face and body. As the long awaited daylight brought defeat to the enemy forces and their retreat back to the jungle leaving behind 54 of their dead, many weapons, and grenades, Capt. Donlon immediately reorganized his defenses and administered first aid to the wounded. His dynamic leadership, fortitude, and valiant efforts inspired not only the American personnel but the friendly Vietnamese defenders as well and resulted in the successful defense of the camp. Capt. Donlon's extraordinary heroism, at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty are in the highest traditions of the U.S. Army and reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of his country.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:39   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Proud to say I know him, he is a friend and one hell of a man.

Plus he was a 7th SFGA guy!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 11:37   #3
Martinez
The Team Sergeants Little Sister

Attached Images
File Type: jpg donlon_roger_norma.jpg (51.6 KB, 143 views)
Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 20:30   #4
bluebb
Quiet Professional

46 years

Bumped on this anniversary

NOUS DEFIONS
bluebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 22:20   #5
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

I am joining SFA Ch 75 in San Diego, the Roger Donlon MoH Memorial Chapter.

I also hope to meet Col. Donlon on 7/15 at a Change of Command ceremony at Ft Carson. It will be a highlight of my life, especially to be introduced to him by my daughter.
Old 07-08-2010, 00:58   #6
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

I have met Col. Donlon on several occasions . He is a really nice guy! Sadly, I hear that he will not be at our annual SFA Chapter 16 Picnic this year. In the past, he and other MOH people have attended. There will be others there though.

As a reminder this Picnic will be on 14 August 2010 starting at 12 Noon. Location at our Chapter's Team House in Covington, WA

Now I understand he will be at our picnic!

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.

Last edited by Trip_Wire (RIP); 07-28-2010 at 19:02.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 16:13   #7
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

A painting of him is the July illustration on the National Museum of the United States Army calendar this year.
Best wishes to him.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:29   #8
Debo
Quiet Professional

He was at our graduation a few months ago. He gave us a pep talk before the RFF and was signing books for us. Very nice man and elegant speaker. I will cherish that memory.

D.
Debo is offline   Reply With Quote