Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 09-05-2018, 11:10   #1
Stobey
Guerrilla Chief

Timely and appropriate response by James Woods

James woods tweeted a very appropriate response to the Nike/Kaepernick idiocy. It is worth showing here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg James Woods on Nike Idiocy.jpg (22.4 KB, 175 views)
Old 09-05-2018, 11:42   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I have been watching the ticker for a couple days to see if there is a measurable impact.

And there is.. But not what you want. The day traders are jumping in & out every couple hrs. If you play the game you can pop a 1/2 buck gain 2-3 times a day, playing 2-3K shares that, will add up.

Interest data point. Nike has run up from a low of 50USD to over 83USD, or cash value
of 80 billion to 134.4 billion..

Net Net,, They don't really care if the stock drops 20-30%. The large holders are still in the green. And I'm talking about the mutual funds and pension holders.

If, I say IF the mud stays stirred for 4 months, thru the Christmas season there may be a real impact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nike 1yr.jpg (74.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg nike day.jpg (76.1 KB, 26 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 09-05-2018 at 11:44.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:43   #3
MR2
Quiet Professional

All I want for Christmas is a bankrupt Nike...

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 18:12   #4
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
All I want for Christmas is a bankrupt Nike...
Right after the Thanksgiving treat of a bankrupt Dick's!
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 18:40   #5
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
Right after the Thanksgiving treat of a bankrupt Dick's!
It's just a matter of time for Dick's.
Old 09-05-2018, 21:35   #6
Flagg
Area Commander

Business schools have been increasing focus on behavioural economics in recent decades.

25 years ago you would get laughed out of an economics conference discussing it.

5 years ago(AND last year for predictable human irrationality) the Nobel Prize was awarded for it.

Merging legit predictable human behaviour with economics has become a real science(sort of).

I'm starting to think a subset of behavioural economics is going to be(or already is, in this case):

partisan economics

Nike management and board have a legal fiduciary responsibility to shareholders.

My guess is that this SJW campaign was tested with experimental groups and the result was net positive.

If not, they could get successfully sued.

If I'm as right as I am cynical, there are marketing teams experimenting with artificially created "outrage" to get their message heard above the noise.

Basically, corporations knowingly choosing sides in the current political divide in America, not so much for "moral" reasons, but strictly short term financial.

The marketing analytics tests say we should do X to create artificial outrage Y, for profit Z, and screw the consequences and all those on the other side of the divide.

If true, it would certainly magnify the fake news, hot button, car crash rubber neck issues today.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 23:34   #7
ProudGSMom
Asset

Interesting points,

Flagg, but a couple other thoughts I’d like to add to the mix.

Nike headquarters is in Portland, as is their ad firm, Wieden+Kennedy, so any testing of ads would be in that decidedly liberal milieu. Meaning, no real relation to the mainstream America that has tanked Dick’s and caused NFL viewership to plummet. It is possible this is a colossal financial misstep on Nikes’ part.

Then again, I don’t know the demographics of those who wear Nike products. Perhaps they aren’t playing to an echo chamber, or rather, their customers exist in that chamber.
~
"Islam" means "Submission" we are Americans, we do not submit.
~
PS, Sgt. x, you met him before we deployed. He is asking for Double Stuffed Oreos.
~
~~~excerpts from letters home, PFC Andrew Meari, KIA 11/1/10
ProudGSMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:26   #8
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Dick's and Nike are two different beasts. Nike has a far better appreciation for its core customers than Dick's.

This article from Inc. sums it up well IMO.

https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman...marketing.html

LHC
Old 09-06-2018, 03:59   #9
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post
Dick's and Nike are two different beasts. Nike has a far better appreciation for its core customers than Dick's.

LHC
Not sure appreciation is the word, I think "got'm by the balls" is closer.

Nike has wedged themselves into every sports venue on the planet, from your G-Kids T-ball thru colleges to the Pros.

The educational system's sport management (read: K-12 SJW) that insists you buy Nike uniforms, shoes, & field gear, so your kids become bulletin boards for the brand.

Everyone involved is getting millions of dollars in salary and/or kickbacks.

Think about this:

Nike stock is up 50% this year,, after 2 YEARS of kneeling at games.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:07   #10
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post

This article from Inc. sums it up well IMO.

https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman...marketing.html

LHC
Good article, cheers for sharing.

I just listened to a podcast that covered Subaru’s recovery from near financial ruin.

They did so by starting to focus on narrower customer personas, such as lesbians.

The high discretionary income and highly focused ads targeting lesbians was a genuine game changer for Subaru, helping bring them back from the brink of financial ruin.

Quite an interesting story.

It had nothing to do with SJW, it was all about the money.

——-

Anywho, I hope the partisan stand being made by companies lately doesn’t spread TOO far.

Nike and Starbucks might be much bigger and have more cash, but Black Rifle Coffee Company has a much higher growth rate, more guns, and far better hostile takeover capability.

I remember the 80’s news stories around the “Cola Wars”.

I never thought corporate wars would ever go kinetic.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:01   #11
rsdengler
Area Commander

Exactly, it's always about the money. I never have, and never will buy a Nike product. Hey, I'm cheap I don't feel like spending my money on their over priced clothing or shoes. Plus, I am not an "urban, liberal" brain washed idiot.

Colin KaeperDick is another moron who makes millions of dollars for playing a sport from Sept-Jan. And by the way, he is a below average quarterback. Justice, right who is the hypocrite? If you want to stand for something, then put your millions where your mouth spews your hateful propaganda and volunteer for a worth while cause. Why don't you take a month and ride with a Police Department in the crap cities of this Country, or use your money for youth programs, or visit Veterans Hospitals. Yea, take a stand when you only have a one-sided view of the world and have no intention of seeing all sides. It's laughable, and disgusting when one individual who has never really sacrificed a damn thing in his life dictates to the masses on social awareness. Talk about being privileged, Athletes like Entertainers think they are above everyone else. No wonder this Country is so F'd up....

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita

Last edited by rsdengler; 09-06-2018 at 06:18.
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:46   #12
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

This is what might get their attention.
Along with the other Bazillion schools, colleges, and junior sports venues.

Keep an eye on your local school board meeting agendas.

Quote:
College of the Ozarks Drops Nike over Kaepernick Ad Campaign

A college in Missouri has decided to “choose its country over company,” and do away with all athletic uniforms which display the Nike logo.

The College of the Ozarks in Point Lookout, Missouri, has chosen to part ways with Nike over the company’s decision to make anthem protester Colin Kaepernick, the face of their new ad campaign.

“In their new ad campaign, we believe Nike executives are promoting an attitude of division and disrespect toward America,” College of the Ozarks President Jerry C. Davis explained.

“If Nike is ashamed of America, we are ashamed of them. We also believe that those who know what sacrifice is all about are more likely to be wearing a military uniform than an athletic uniform.”

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/201...k-ad-campaign/

Old 09-06-2018, 10:20   #13
PSM
Area Commander

Time for the military academies to drop them, too.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 13:33   #14
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
This is what might get their attention.
Along with the other Bazillion schools, colleges, and junior sports venues.

Keep an eye on your local school board meeting agendas.
On a semi-related note, College of the Ozarks is a really interesting college.

Tuition is free, but all students must work something like 15-ish Hours per week to earn their keep.

Unbeatable value for dollar + character building thru earning your keep.

Best value in education.
Old 09-06-2018, 13:37   #15
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
Exactly, it's always about the money. I never have, and never will buy a Nike product. Hey, I'm cheap I don't feel like spending my money on their over priced clothing or shoes. Plus, I am not an "urban, liberal" brain washed idiot.

Colin KaeperDick is another moron who makes millions of dollars for playing a sport from Sept-Jan. And by the way, he is a below average quarterback. Justice, right who is the hypocrite? If you want to stand for something, then put your millions where your mouth spews your hateful propaganda and volunteer for a worth while cause. Why don't you take a month and ride with a Police Department in the crap cities of this Country, or use your money for youth programs, or visit Veterans Hospitals. Yea, take a stand when you only have a one-sided view of the world and have no intention of seeing all sides. It's laughable, and disgusting when one individual who has never really sacrificed a damn thing in his life dictates to the masses on social awareness. Talk about being privileged, Athletes like Entertainers think they are above everyone else. No wonder this Country is so F'd up....
When I was recently in the US I picked up some Nike stuff for my wife/kids on sale.

I’m not interested in buying more.

To me, I associated Nike with high performance athletics.

Politics pollutes that considerably.

Performance trumps partisan position statements in my opinion.