Old 06-07-2018, 06:49   #1
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Saws

The subject came up in another thread, thought I would share a few that I use.
The venerable Stihl 025 after 15 years of hard work I attached the drill. The drill attachment is nice out in the field away from power sources, it has a unique clutch, when you pull back on the saw/drill the bit reverses and backs out of the work. The second 025 I bought and used the next 15 years was taken....sadly Stihl discontinued the 025 * and came out with a Farm Boss, I understand that may have been discontinued so I bought a larger version for the bigger work and also a smaller version is nice for smaller work ( smaller chains though and different files). After Hurricanes there were weeks when a saw was literally attached. All my power tools have been stihl they are very reliable to say the least. A professional lumberman might chime in and claim they prefer Husqvarna...no doubt they are good saws and what little use I had with them the chains are heavier.

* Had to change the model so they could sell some more saws I suppose.

As for the Silky's, you may not need a profesional tree pruner with 3 sections and a 21' reach but the smaller "Ibuki" I highly recommend!! While it is not a folder it is a serious saw and can out do a chain saw in certain situations ( by the time you get a chain saw out gas, oil it and get it running you can get a good bit of certain work done with the Ibuki) it also reduces the signature of the cuts ( minimum dust). It is one of those tools you'll be glad you have and use despite it's price!

The Swiss Army knife....I have that with me most of the time, it cuts many smaller jobs just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 036.jpg (155.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 034.jpg (169.0 KB, 40 views)

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:06   #2
tonyz
Area Commander

Nice selection of saws.

Have used and can attest to handy nature and usefulness of cheap and cheerful Bahco 9-inch Laplander folding saw.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:30   #3
cbtengr
Area Commander

I have an 032 Stihl that I purchased over 35 years ago. I paid over $525.00 for it and it has only had 1 tune up in all those years. I had a crappy little Homelite with the button you pushed for the oiler, I was cutting wood with a friend of mine one day, he had a Stihl and he let me try it. Cutting wood with that saw was pure heaven it just tore through hardwoods. Todays Stihl's might still be pretty good but I know they had to cheapen them up some to compete with the cheaper brands of saws out there. I would not trade mine for anything.
Old 06-07-2018, 23:11   #4
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

I had a Stihl 034 (I think that's the right #). Cut fire wood one winter for a living with a high school buddy. That saw done a right fine job! Have used a Stihl a time or two since then and have not been impressed. Hard to start and keep going. Everyone here uses Husqavarna and they are really good saws. Don't think I'd go back to a Stihl.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:57   #5
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Reminds me of a point I meant to bring up. Use premium gas ( highest octane fuel you can get ), you might think with a 2 stroke engine it wouldn't matter but especially with ethanol mixes they absorb moisture. Never encountered any such problems with starting or operations.

Might have to look at that Bahco...I had a Victorinox folder once but kept snapping the blade it must have been hard steel?...probably some operator error too.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:16   #6
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post
Reminds me of a point I meant to bring up. Use premium gas ( highest octane fuel you can get ), you might think with a 2 stroke engine it wouldn't matter but especially with ethanol mixes they absorb moisture. Never encountered any such problems with starting or operations.

Might have to look at that Bahco...I had a Victorinox folder once but kept snapping the blade it must have been hard steel?...probably some operator error too.
Alternatively - if there is a gas station selling ethanol free gas you can get that. We have several in my AO.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:34   #7
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post

I put ethanol-killer in every small engine I have on the farm, as well as refuse to use ethanol in my boat motor. Ethanol is an engine destroyer straight from the pit of hell.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:38   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I store and run Premium winter blend non-ethanol gas with a preservative, either Sta-Bil or PRI-G.

I like the Dolmar saws (now Makita, IIRC) and have an old Stihl still kicking around. My brother had a big Husky he liked.

Last I heard, all of the old American brands were gone or operating as naming for a Chinese POS saw.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote