Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 05-30-2018, 13:03   #46
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post
I watched a show awhile back that stated 1 out of 8 people are mistaken about who they identify as their genetic father.

If true, that means there are a whole lot of us here who would get that result.

LHC
In my random sampling of the population on which I obtain blood for HLA-typing (you get half from mom and half from dad) I find this number to be overexaggerated. Of course, we don't type fathers that are not available/involved, and populations in whom women have multiple children with different fathers may be the reason for that statistic....
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:20   #47
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
However the mystery is how complete is my DNA strand how much has been lost through recombination and how many traits, behaviors and characteristics are inherited.

Cultures have fought, killed, assimilated, raped and spread its own culture and unique traits for as long as man has existed and have been able to travel.
So what your saying is liberals do not like your DNA strand.
Are you racist against their DNA ?

New trend #DontHateMyDNA

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 18:29   #48
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7624U View Post
So what your saying is liberals do not like your DNA strand.
Are you racist against their DNA ?

New trend #DontHateMyDNA
Well it seems if I denounce my white side I will be accepted if liberals take over....after all the white liberals all seem to hate the color of their own skin....oh wait I can identify as a man of color oh jeez am I having racial dysphoria.
Old 06-10-2018, 16:31   #49
ccrn
Guerrilla

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post
And look how they caught The Golden State Killer.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...426-story.html

The public will eventually lose more individual rights because of this technology and the databases built from it.

LHC
This company is a massive operation to collect genetic information then front load it into other collections databases. And it is doing all kinds of brute force science with your genetic information which it reserves the right to do as well as use your personal information whether you like it or not.

Keep in mind that one of the founders of 123andMe, Anne Wojcicki is/was married to Sergei Brin the founder of Google. Google of course collects data and stores that into folders with our ID on them indefinitely.

The interesting thing is pioneering facial recognition software can already tell if people are heterosexual, gay, conservative, liberal, their IQ, and criminal disposition. All just from 1 photo with high accuracy. In the very, very near future some people will or wont get a job interview (not that anyone will admit it but many already use online personality screens during the application process). Pair that with genome data and entire family trees might not get high end jobs, privileges (like home loans), health insurance, be denied military service ie 4F.

It would take a very engaged population to keep all of this in check. Based upon human history, being ruled in its entirety with the brief exception of America, Im concerned for the pro-freedom camp.
Old 06-10-2018, 22:28   #50
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrn View Post
This company is a massive operation to collect genetic information then front load it into other collections databases. And it is doing all kinds of brute force science with your genetic information which it reserves the right to do as well as use your personal information whether you like it or not.

Keep in mind that one of the founders of 123andMe, Anne Wojcicki is/was married to Sergei Brin the founder of Google. Google of course collects data and stores that into folders with our ID on them indefinitely.

The interesting thing is pioneering facial recognition software can already tell if people are heterosexual, gay, conservative, liberal, their IQ, and criminal disposition. All just from 1 photo with high accuracy. In the very, very near future some people will or wont get a job interview (not that anyone will admit it but many already use online personality screens during the application process). Pair that with genome data and entire family trees might not get high end jobs, privileges (like home loans), health insurance, be denied military service ie 4F.

It would take a very engaged population to keep all of this in check. Based upon human history, being ruled in its entirety with the brief exception of America, Im concerned for the pro-freedom camp.
True Google analytics as ingenious as it is does exactly as you say today they sell our habitual interests of subjects and in turn we get ads this same data is used to drive consumers for the companies willing to pay for the data.....my wife was always amazed at how those damn ads seemed to read her mind....now she knows....the fear all should have is the use of this data for insight into better social engineering by political candidates and the government....sure it would make life easier in some ways but free choice will no longer be part of the equation and people will have no idea that everything they see and do is carefully staged from data of their own habitual online interests.

As far as 23 and me and the google connection this is terrifying scientist have already been able to manipulate DNA to a limited end and their is research funded by the DOD on DNA of a perfect soldier....I am reminded of the movie by Kurt Russell Soldier in which he was carefully selected and trained to be a superior soldier until the new soldiers who were genetically superior because of advances in gene manipulation.....imagine the end of mankind once a G-Nome and its myriad of combinations are decoded and can be recombined at will for whatever traits they desire.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:44   #51
Flagg
Area Commander

Teloyears is an interesting DNA testing outfit:

https://www.teloyears.com/home/index.html

It can run your ancestry data, but it can also do one better which is measure the length of your telomeres, which are like the caps on the end of your shoelaces to keep them from fraying, but for your DNA strands.

Telomere length plays a considerable role in cell/organism aging.

One of the co-founders(DR Elizabeth Blackburn) of the company shared the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 2009 for telomerace/telomere discovery and research.

She has a pretty solid book I’ve read:

https://www.amazon.com/Telomere-Effe...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

They also offer consulting services and supplements with a money back guarantee for lengthening telomeres over a 6 month period.

Pretty simple advice. But nice to have a potentially very worthwhile form of aging measurement.

Eat well, stay mobile and fit, get sufficient sound sleep, and reduce stress. Not rocket science.

But there’s legit science behind the telomere length/aging for various test species as well as a growing number of human studies.

It’s worth keeping an eye on.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:53   #52
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
True Google analytics as ingenious as it is does exactly as you say today they sell our habitual interests of subjects and in turn we get ads this same data is used to drive consumers for the companies willing to pay for the data.....my wife was always amazed at how those damn ads seemed to read her mind....now she knows....the fear all should have is the use of this data for insight into better social engineering by political candidates and the government....sure it would make life easier in some ways but free choice will no longer be part of the equation and people will have no idea that everything they see and do is carefully staged from data of their own habitual online interests.

As far as 23 and me and the google connection this is terrifying scientist have already been able to manipulate DNA to a limited end and their is research funded by the DOD on DNA of a perfect soldier....I am reminded of the movie by Kurt Russell Soldier in which he was carefully selected and trained to be a superior soldier until the new soldiers who were genetically superior because of advances in gene manipulation.....imagine the end of mankind once a G-Nome and its myriad of combinations are decoded and can be recombined at will for whatever traits they desire.
Check out CRISPR.

Enzyme “knife” used to precisely cut out and replace genes.

In actual use for yoghurt yeast.

Can be used to turn off mosquito disease dissemination.

Expanding human potential for good could be limitless.

But of course the ability to weaponize CRISPR is a very real and legit fear.

Not just intentional weaponisation, but accidental grey goo.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:27   #53
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
...which are like the caps on the end of your shoelaces to keep them from fraying...
Aglets. I worked in a shoe store in junior high and high school.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:58   #54
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The military has required servicemember DNA samples since the early 1990s.

Allegedly for identification of otherwise unknown remains, many resisted the requirement, suspecting that it would be data for Big Brother to use for any purpose he deemed necessary.

That suspicion has subsequently proven to be correct.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 13:26   #55
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
The military has required servicemember DNA samples since the early 1990s.

Allegedly for identification of otherwise unknown remains, many resisted the requirement, suspecting that it would be data for Big Brother to use for any purpose he deemed necessary.

That suspicion has subsequently proven to be correct.

TR
Have US military DNA samples been used for criminal investigations?

It’s my understanding that with a few of the commercial DNA databases that a criminal suspect him/herself doesn’t necessarily need to have any DNA testing done, but if parents/siblings/children are tested and compared against crime scene evidence can be more than enough to incriminate suspects and compel DNA testing.

So i guess the issue goes beyond just trying to protect your own Genone from public scrutiny, but that of your entire bloodline.
Old 06-11-2018, 14:08   #56
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Check out CRISPR.

Enzyme “knife” used to precisely cut out and replace genes.

In actual use for yoghurt yeast.

Can be used to turn off mosquito disease dissemination.

Expanding human potential for good could be limitless.

But of course the ability to weaponize CRISPR is a very real and legit fear.

Not just intentional weaponisation, but accidental grey goo.
I actually find it interesting the science is fascinating but wonder if the science is interfering with natural adaption that genes do when they evolve to survive....what will nature do in response to the acceleration nature will always find a way to survive even if it has to go through another ice age after volcanic eruptions etc.....and thousands of years it will.

Weaponization of it is a realistic fear and should cause pause when we think about genetically modified people being better at their purpose....the next step would be to control the nurture aspect so that their is no drift from intent. Finally but not least is this contradicting with our belief in a creator and the mystery of life?
Old 06-11-2018, 14:12   #57
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Thanks
Quote:
Have US military DNA samples been used for criminal investigations?

It’s my understanding that with a few of the commercial DNA databases that a criminal suspect him/herself doesn’t necessarily need to have any DNA testing done, but if parents/siblings/children are tested and compared against crime scene evidence can be more than enough to incriminate suspects and compel DNA testing.

So i guess the issue goes beyond just trying to protect your own Genone from public scrutiny, but that of your entire bloodline.
Good point but if scientist are correct all DNA traces back to Mitochondrial Eve and Y Adam....the 2 parts of a Gene that stays relatively unchanged back to the beginning the rest of the Gene is only accurate for DNA to a 5th cousin due to recombination....it's the recombined.DNA that contains the majority of your ancestor and where a recessive trait would appear....when we do our own geneology we build an upside down pyramid from us as far back as possible Geneticist are the opposite the have traced all DNA back to a common ancestor in Mt Eve and Y Adam they trace it to these two and follow it's mutations to modern man.

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 06-11-2018 at 14:24.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:02   #58
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Evolution theorist say we evolved from monkeys which inspires the question....why are their still monkeys?

The answer is in haplo groups all traced back to the Mitochondrial Eve the origin which still exists.....the group still exists because it has not left it's point of origin.....every group that left and settled in different climates changed diet etc......evolved from Group A.....I am still not convinced we evolved from chimps...
Old 06-12-2018, 11:55   #59
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Evolution theorist say we evolved from monkeys which inspires the question....why are their still monkeys?
You could ask the same question of a whale shark and a goldfish.

And that’s good because humans didn’t evolve from chimps. And that evolution “theory” you speak of has millions of artifacts and metric tons of historical evidence supporting it.

Well, unless you want to believe a unicorn with a magic wand created man.

This may help:
http://humanorigins.si.edu/education...uman-evolution

Or there’s Hope, Faith and Charity.......

(We Hope you believe in our unicorn’s magic, and because of the human brainwashing we’ve conducted over centuries we have Faith that you do, and please, donate at least 30% of your gross income to our Charity.)
Old 06-12-2018, 20:06   #60
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
You could ask the same question of a whale shark and a goldfish.

And that’s good because humans didn’t evolve from chimps. And that evolution “theory” you speak of has millions of artifacts and metric tons of historical evidence supporting it.

Well, unless you want to believe a unicorn with a magic wand created man.

This may help:
http://humanorigins.si.edu/education...uman-evolution

Or there’s Hope, Faith and Charity.......

(We Hope you believe in our unicorn’s magic, and because of the human brainwashing we’ve conducted over centuries we have Faith that you do, and please, donate at least 30% of your gross income to our Charity.)
I for one am not a believer in man evolving from chimps or mermaids or anything else of such extreme when talking evolution. I believe in creation and evolution of man from that creation which is being shown through science as being more complex than man can really understand yet....I do not believe that science is anti faith it reinforces the great complexity and power we were spawned from. Being around my own father in law and his colleagues I found that they spoke of their faith in what they have learned as something so far beyond mans understanding that they realized the more they discovered in science the more humbled they became knowing how little they know and in fact collectively the great intellectual minds and research of scientist combined together cannot adequately explain with certainty the mystery of life.

I feel that biblical purist have an unreasonable expectation of man being created out of thin air a mere 4-5000 yrs ago despite the evidence of fossils and skeletal remains far predating the time frame they discuss in church every Sunday and have even heard these same otherwise intelligent people try to say all these things are of the devil to destroy mans faith and obedience. Simplistic stories such as Adam and Eve that reflects in a way the same story of creation of carbon based organisms and evolution of genetics as man spread about the earth to different climates and developed their own languages which reflects the genesis story of the tower of Babyl in the destruction and confounding of tongues as man was prevented from reaching heaven the similarities in the story and what happened according to science are remarkable considering the stories of the Genesis of man was not recorded until 700+- A.D. and prior to that were stories maintained by the tribe historian through memory and oration over a campfire like the African tribes still do. And the fascinating history of nearly every culture has a similar version of mankind and a supreme entity or entities with variations long before man ever interacted after a majority of evolution had found us segregated geographically, racially, linguistically......

Maybe leftists should start looking at the factors that connect all of us instead of trying to continue to play the modern version of babylon where they confound us on racial, social, economics, religion etc.....instead of language