Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18D

Old 01-26-2013, 14:54   #1
Sonofagunny
SF Candidate

New Front loaded SOCM course

I'm a wheeled vehicle REMF in pogue land waiting to PCS to Bragg for SOCM and then the Q. As such, I have no mentors or buddies who are one or two steps ahead of me in the pipeline. At SFAS, the xrays all seemed to have a huge advantage in that they knew what to expect everyday. I have NO idea what to expect when I get to Bragg!!

I used the search bar and couldn't find anything about the new front loaded SOCM course. Is there anybody here that has recently begun or completed this portion of the pipeline that would like to give me some advice? Also, I'd honestly appreciate any advice from you gentlemen that are further along in your careers as an 18D as well.
Sonofagunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 15:03   #2
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

The front loaded course will be no different than any of the other courses. Any "self prep" advice given on the boards to this point for folks doing SOCM after SUT would be the same as if given for before SUT.
When you get there, wake up, Study hard, do your best, and repeat daily. No need to climb a mountain in Nepal for that answer - it's all pretty straight forward.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 15:13   #3
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Why does everyone these days try to get mentors, Intel etc etc etc.

I remember when I put in and went to training group I had no idea what I had ahead of me except it would suck and I needed to do 200% from that point on. Took it day by day and learned to love the suck.

I knew that I had to be physically and mentally prepared and they would teach me what I needed to know. I have never stopped learning since then.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 15:24   #4
Sonofagunny
SF Candidate

A quote...

...the Sergeant Major at selection told us that we would be absolute IDIOTS not to try and get as much information about the future stages of the course as possible. His words, not mine...

In addition, as I previously stated, the 18Xs seemed to have a vast knowledge of what was going to happen the next day, and the next day, etc. This gave them a distinct advantage. I assume that all of the guys in holding pattern at Bragg are receiving intel about the course, and this will assist them in their preparations. I'm not looking for a cheaters advantage, but rather a level chance.

Why are some of you so eager to jump down somebody's throat but so unwilling to help?
Old 01-26-2013, 15:32   #5
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagunny View Post
...the Sergeant Major at selection told us that we would be absolute IDIOTS not to try and get as much information about the future stages of the course as possible. His words, not mine...

In addition, as I previously stated, the 18Xs seemed to have a vast knowledge of what was going to happen the next day, and the next day, etc. This gave them a distinct advantage. I assume that all of the guys in holding pattern at Bragg are receiving intel about the course, and this will assist them in their preparations. I'm not looking for a cheaters advantage, but rather a level chance.

Why are some of you so eager to jump down somebody's throat but so unwilling to help?
First calm down and quit taking a comment the wrong way.

Second I was just making a comment and did not quote you or any one else. It was my observation with the difference between when I went through pre Internet and google.

I have helped with advise a lot over the years and have also help several good men get into SF. There is a difference in knowing the traing schedule and getting G2 that is considered getting a unfair advantage over your classmates. A good example from my days was land nav. Getting tips on how to navigate better was ok but going out and getting G2 on the course got you booted.

Enjoy training.

Last edited by Eagle5US; 01-26-2013 at 15:46.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 15:34   #6
Aequitas
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Why do you think you are at such a disadvantage? Why are you acting like an entitled ass...? You got responses yet you choose to throw back words b/c it wasn't the response you wanted? Do a search and look up the advice people gave here concerning the med portion. If you feel you are at a disadvantage b/c you don't know what to expect the next day then please turn in your pink card now and go back to what you did before...
Old 01-26-2013, 15:45   #7
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
Why do you think you are at such a disadvantage? Why are you acting like an entitled ass...? You got responses yet you choose to throw back words b/c it wasn't the response you wanted? Do a search and look up the advice people gave here concerning the med portion. If you feel you are at a disadvantage b/c you don't know what to expect the next day then please turn in your pink card now and go back to what you did before...
CHRIST ON A CRACKER!

WHAT HE SAID

Boo fucking hoo...

I can see it now:
What do you mean we are doing an infil into a denied area? How come WE don't get to know what's going to happen next? The other Teams went someplace where there was already a FOB set up and they knew what they were getting into. They even had Green Beans and an MWR. Why can't we go there instead?!?

Just stop posting kid. You have a lot of growing up to do and with any luck, the Q course will help you get there.

Oddly, I am no longer surprised that someone with your "personal presentation" gets through selection...on a somewhat "regular" basis...

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 15:55   #8
shortbrownguy
Quiet Professional

Quote:

I'm guessing your translation of what the SGM said was to find a website full of QP's and make an ass out of yourself by back talking, and coming off as a arrogant schoolboy who didn't get the answer he wanted.

Feel free to continue down that road. I was there during that brief, and can say without a doubt that this is NOT the approach he had in mind...

SBG sends.

Last edited by shortbrownguy; 01-26-2013 at 15:59.
shortbrownguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 16:35   #9
Sonofagunny
SF Candidate

The insults!

My my, how the insults are flung!!

I merely pointed out the obvious... Some guys jump down throats and offer no help... and asked for an explanation. I don't think that would be insulting, unless jumping down someone's throat was considered a negative action.

Anyway, thanks to y'all that PMed offering assistance. The advice is much appreciated and will be put to good use.

I wish y'all the best.
Old 01-26-2013, 17:00   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
My my, how the insults are flung!!

I merely pointed out the obvious... Some guys jump down throats and offer no help... and asked for an explanation. I don't think that would be insulting, unless jumping down someone's throat was considered a negative action.

Anyway, thanks to y'all that PMed offering assistance. The advice is much appreciated and will be put to good use.

I wish y'all the best.
Check the attitude, or find a new place to post.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 17:19   #11
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
<<SNIP>>

No one here has jumped down anyone's throat. You got candid comments from SF qualified guys, not unlike you will receive when/if you get to an ODA. We don't hold hands or sugar coat things and if you can't handle that don't bother PCSing.

As for the 18x's upper hand, that ended at SFAS. Once in the SFQC they will not have preparatory courses for each phase of training as they did in SOPC. Furthermore, it doesn't matter where SOCM falls within the SFQC - it is the same course work and will require the same dedication to studying. Trying to get a leg up will do you no favors once on a team...

And lastly, this is a small community. Be careful who you mouth off to, you may find yourself standing in front of them again one day...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 17:24   #12
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

It is amazing anyone passed the course prior to the advent of the internet
Old 01-26-2013, 17:59   #13
Sonofagunny
SF Candidate

Thanks Cric

Thanks Cric!! I have read a great deal of your posts. As this one is, they are usually thoughtful, full of accurate information, and "candid". I appreciate them.

As for the G2 factor; there are many aspiring 18B, 18C, and 18Es here in my local "Passed SFAS, waiting for further instructions" herd. Many of these guys are getting information sent back from guys further down the line about what to expect. I imagine that the people who are actually THERE at Fort Bragg are getting even more information. Me? I'm the only 18D hopeful here, so I've got squat.

The information that I DO get here (*edit* AT FORT RILEY, NOT PS.COM!!) is usually from jaded soldiers who made it only so far until they failed. I find their "advice" to be bitter and not so helpful.

I am not looking for a cheat to help me pass. I want to be the Valedic-fucking-torian!! I am not the guy who wants to just-get-by. I truly aspire to absorb all the information that I can and present myself to a Team as the best Special Forces medic that I could possibly be.

Last edited by Sonofagunny; 01-28-2013 at 15:05.
Old 01-26-2013, 20:54   #14
distance-runner
SF Candidate

PM me if you have any questions on SOCM, I'm finishing it up next week. We have 22 of the original 70 that we started with back in April still in our class. You're basically only allowed one academic recycle into the class behind, before you get the boot/possible reclass depending on your board.
You've got 7 big blocks of training that last around 6 weeks each: EMT, A&P, ClinMed, Trauma 1, Trauma 2, Trauma 3, & Rotations. Study & train hard! It will consume you academically early on and will finally get practical in the Trauma blocks. It's not easy or chill and it's totally worth it!!
Old 01-27-2013, 14:00   #15
CANOPYx3
Quiet Professional

SOCM is 36 weeks. It will qualify you as a 68W W1 should you complete it. My advice to you is study hard and make that your only goal at the time to complete SOCM. Do not get distracted by fellow students or others you know when you arrive. Make sure that you are conducting PT on your own in preparation for entering the SFQC. Regimental PT standards are now week 1. We don't care whether or not you completed SOCM. If you do not meet those standards you WILL be dropped and returned to your previous MOS.

Last edited by CANOPYx3; 01-27-2013 at 14:02.
CANOPYx3 is offline   Reply With Quote