Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hall of Heroes > Above and Beyond

Old 09-27-2004, 08:05   #16
BamBam
Quiet Professional

"BAD BOB HOWARD" truly the MAN, had the pleasure of working for and with COl Howard it was an experience I wil never forget, enjoyed evey minute of it. He was truly a person who supported his NCOs.
BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:29   #17
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

He was the Guest Speaker at SFA CHXV's Annual Christmas Party here in San Antone. A pic from that occaission is at my "Friends..." thread in the Base Camp.

Wish I could figger out howta convert the video I took of his speech that nite to summmpm I can post here.

Any idees anybody??????

Toby-so proud of my relationship with this great man!!!!!!!!

Joe Walker, 1-0, RT California
TerribleTobyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 20:20   #18
Martinez
The Team Sergeants Little Sister

Toby,

You know Neil Horn don't you? Why don't you email him and ask. If anyone can do it, or figure it out, Neil can. BC me if you need his email address.

Jennifer sends
Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 21:12   #19
lksteve
Quiet Professional

i didn't exactly meet him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
I had the honor of first meeting Col Howard (Maj then) at Phase One, where he proceeded to "ruck" my ass (and many other young studs) into the ground.

The man is harder than woodpecker lips.
but he was the chief of either tower or ground branch when i went through jump school....

dayum, that was a long time ago...seems like yesterday...,.

lksteve
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:18   #20
x SF med
Quiet Professional

TS-
Was that honor or horror? I kinda remember it as both when I went through, Maj Howard was one bad mf when it came to rucking - and the grenade simulators in the quonsets were a way to lively up a very late night........
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 13:18   #21
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

TYhe first time I met him he was issuing my gear at FOB-2 in 1968. I thought he was the baddest supply sergeant I ever saw.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 18:23   #22
PeteyMcPete
Asset

Sounds like one hell of a guy.
PeteyMcPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 18:42   #23
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete793
Sounds like one hell of a guy.
A classid understatement. Col. Howard personofies every positive attreibute I can think of for a Special Forces Trooper to include se;flessness and fearlessness.

The second time I met him he had a team assembled to rescue or recover my team. He was always at the front of the line of volunteers for Bright Light Missions.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:20   #24
Q
Quiet Professional

Howard

Met alot of heros in my time. Never met Col. Howard or Billy Waugh...wished I did. Great men are gauged on what they have left behind for the rest of us "common folk". Salud sir! Here is a cold one for ya! How come I never hear about "Mad Dog". "Q".

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!" Then the Lord said, "Go........Isaiah 6:8
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 19:35   #25
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

http://www.rlhtribute.com/

The tribute site has been updated. Nice new look.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 20:46   #26
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Thanks NDD.

I didn't realize COL H went to TCU also... nice surprise, since it's my alma mater. Of course, he was the Headmaster of the MacKall School when I attended it, during my "between college classes phase".

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 13:26   #27
uplink5
Quiet Professional

I think it was in 2000 when as a Phase III instructor at Camp Mackall, I was told there would be a VA rep and former SWC CMDR to talk about the VA to us. I forgot all about it since we had troops in Uwharrie at the time and it wasn't a priority. I pulled into Mackall to grab something and go but was stopped by the F co. SGM who said he had someone I needed to meet. He introduced me to Mr Howard. SGM had informed him of my medical issues and that I was someone who needed to talk to him, and so, we did. After we had talked for a bit, as this gentleman was getting into a truck to leave, he encouraged me to come to DC before I retired to see him, so he could make sure I had been taken care of upon retirement. I thanked him and told him I would.

Aftr our conversation, one of our warrents says "you don't know who that was, do you?" I think I said something like "yea, that's Mr Howard". Chief says, yes but, follow me. I followed him to his computer and there on the screen was Col. Bob Howard's MOH BIO and Photo. Needless to say I truly was, at that moment, lower than whale shit and dipped in sheep dip.

I had read the bio before, along with so many others. Here was a man whom I'd revered for his exploits, as a hero of mine and I hadn't recognized him, and its perhaps better that I didn't for I'd been sure to have said something stupid like "YOU DA MAN"....

Well, anyways. Bob, if you're out there, I still haven’t retired and I've even managed to rack up a couple more medical emergencies since then but, I'll always regard my conversation with you as an indicator of your unpretentious nature and genuine concern for the average joe. As well as my brush with one of our greatest American heroes. Thanks

God bless you BOB, YOU DA MAN!!!!!

Thomas Jefferson

"The scene changes but the aspirations of men of good will persist."

Vannevar Bush
uplink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 18:36   #28
Richard
Quiet Professional

CBS News report on MOH Recognition Day hi-lighting Bob Howard.

Unsung War Hero Gets Recognition

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4893409.shtml

(CBS) Robert Howard was the toughest, bravest cat in the jungle, but he deserved a better war than Vietnam. He was nominated for the Medal of Honor three times for three separate operations behind enemy lines.

But, as CBS News correspondent David Martin reports, when President Nixon finally awarded him the nation?s highest honor, the ceremony was actually delayed by anti-war protests. He was a war hero at a time when Americans didn?t believe in either the war or its heroes. He was wounded 14 times and has no business being alive.

?Here I come face-to-face with a platoon of enemy soldiers and so I?m standing with my weapon like this, and they fire directly at me and I fell backwards like this, and I didn?t get killed,? Howard explained.

That was just the beginning of the fire fight for which he was awarded the Medal of Honor. It ended when, out of ammunition, he called in a 2,000-pound bomb.

?I said 'I want you to put it right on our position',? Howard said. ?It blew us and the enemy up. Next thing I know, we?re still alive.?

He?s still picking shrapnel out of his body.

?I got a piece that?s coming out of my side on this side this morning,? he said. ?It bothers me.?

Howard says he doesn?t think he?ll ever get it all out.

America loves war heroes. There was Sgt. York in WWI, Audie Murphy in WWII. But in Vietnam, there were only scapegoats. Except there?s Robert Howard, who single-handedly captured 44 enemy soldiers and brought them back alive for questioning.

?I carried a damn enemy soldier for nine days because he was important and other people were trying to kill him,? Howard said.

He did five combat tours in Vietnam and is about to pay his fifth visit to the troops in Iraq.

?I teach them how to survive on the battlefield,? he said. ?I teach them how to weigh courage and fear. You can balance that.?

He can walk through the streets of Manhattan without anyone knowing who he is or what he?s done. Until today, when President Obama found out who Robert Howard is. Together, they and the 37 other Medal of Honor winners from WWII, Korea and Vietnam laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns.

Robert Howard is an unknown hero no longer.
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 19:45   #29
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Have to agree with Nous- From what I have heard, he should have had 3....
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 21:04   #30
Nick710
Quiet Professional

Colonel (then Major) Howard was the Phase I Commander when I did the Q-course back in 1982. He scared the hell out of us and his ruck runs were legendary. I'll never forget standing in formation as 0200 and have him speak to us. His speeches always ended with "Men, I want to challenge you today . . . " You could hear a collective moan coming from the formation as every man knew what was coming.

I'll never forget those 6 weeks or so at Camp Mackall.
Nick710 is offline   Reply With Quote