Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 3rd Special Forces Group

Old 06-28-2010, 06:56   #1
CSM-H
Quiet Professional

Otis Berry, former SF????

Hey to all you 3rd Groupers....can anyone ID, Otis Berry as a former 3rd Grp guy, let alone SF? Thanks, CSM-H

PS: see http://www.pureperformancemac.com/ma...tor/otis-berry
CSM-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 19:00   #2
rdret1
Quiet Professional

I didn't see where it mentioned 3rd Grp specifically, but it was odd that it also didn't mention the tab in his awards list.

~ Paul Brunton (1898-1981)

R.D. Winters
rdret1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 19:22   #3
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

If he is citing his hard earned and coveted Army Combatives Level 1 Certificate, I am pretty sure he would claim the Q, and any other school associated with SWC.

Then again I didn't see where he claims to be SF, only that he served with SF. Why do you think he is 3rd?

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 19:52   #4
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

On his bio page at his previous gym, he listed 3rd. He's not SF - no need to try to disprove that. He uses the familiar "in Special Forces" puffery that so many support/attached personnel do to give laymen the idea they have tabs.

I think it was decided he must have been a rigger, if his old bio is to be believed. He listed a lot of HALO jumps, which if true, I'm sure some one here will remember him.

Here's a post I made at Lightfigher when someone asked about his gym in 2009:
http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a...6414#793106414 (I think you have to register to read the thread, so I pasted my post below.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost hate to bring this into this thread, but you need to know that your Krav Maga instructor Otis Berry is, at worst, a SF poser or, at best, has allowed a purposefully misleading bio to go unchanged.

http://www.jeffgordonmma.com/j...onmma/page.asp?ID=33

From the above webpage:

"Otis Berry
Chief Krav Maga Instructor

Otis Berry brings an impressive military background to Gordon's MMA. He served for six years in the Third Special Forces Group of the United States Army, where he made over 200, static line parachute jumps and HALO (high-altitude-low-opening) jumps. He is a graduate of the Army Airborne School at Fort Benning, Georgia, and the Army Sniper School at Fort Lewis, Washington. Otis acquired Akido expertise while in the Special Forces and subsequently attained a black belt in Chung Do Kwan. He also has extensive experience in Muay Thai Kickboxing and Chi Na. Otis grew up in Springfield, Virginia, where he was state champion in the 400 meter and 800 meter track & field events. Otis is one of only 30 Instructors in the United States with a Black Belt in Krav Maga. He has also been Certified in the US Army Level 2 Combative Program. He has taught combative programs at such military bases as Ft. Hood and other special operational bases. Otis is also a certified law enforcement Instructor and has lead many special programs for law enforcement and security personnel."

Yeah, someone might argue that he left some wiggle room by saying "served for six years in the Third Special Forces" and "acquired Akido (sic) experience while in the Special Forces." But I don't buy it. If I say I was in SF I'm telling you I was SF, not a rigger that packed chutes. And he wrote that bio to give people the impression that he was something he isn't.

Socnet has already covered it. http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=85123

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Leozinho; 06-28-2010 at 19:57.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:01   #5
CSM-H
Quiet Professional

Otis Berry, SF???

Leoinho, Thanks for putting the old "bio" up.....that was pretty is much where I got my info....and then I see he is at a new location, once again claiming former special forces....CSM-H

PS: in his listed awards he doesn't even list rigger wings.....hummmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozinho View Post
On his bio page at his previous gym, he listed 3rd. He's not SF - no need to try to disprove that. He uses the familiar "in Special Forces" puffery that so many support/attached personnel do to give laymen the idea they have tabs.

I think it was decided he must have been a rigger, if his old bio is to be believed. He listed a lot of HALO jumps, which if true, I'm sure some one here will remember him.

Here's a post I made at Lightfigher when someone asked about his gym in 2009:
http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a...6414#793106414 (I think you have to register to read the thread, so I pasted my post below.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost hate to bring this into this thread, but you need to know that your Krav Maga instructor Otis Berry is, at worst, a SF poser or, at best, has allowed a purposefully misleading bio to go unchanged.

http://www.jeffgordonmma.com/j...onmma/page.asp?ID=33

From the above webpage:

"Otis Berry
Chief Krav Maga Instructor

Otis Berry brings an impressive military background to Gordon's MMA. He served for six years in the Third Special Forces Group of the United States Army, where he made over 200, static line parachute jumps and HALO (high-altitude-low-opening) jumps. He is a graduate of the Army Airborne School at Fort Benning, Georgia, and the Army Sniper School at Fort Lewis, Washington. Otis acquired Akido expertise while in the Special Forces and subsequently attained a black belt in Chung Do Kwan. He also has extensive experience in Muay Thai Kickboxing and Chi Na. Otis grew up in Springfield, Virginia, where he was state champion in the 400 meter and 800 meter track & field events. Otis is one of only 30 Instructors in the United States with a Black Belt in Krav Maga. He has also been Certified in the US Army Level 2 Combative Program. He has taught combative programs at such military bases as Ft. Hood and other special operational bases. Otis is also a certified law enforcement Instructor and has lead many special programs for law enforcement and security personnel."

Yeah, someone might argue that he left some wiggle room by saying "served for six years in the Third Special Forces" and "acquired Akido (sic) experience while in the Special Forces." But I don't buy it. If I say I was in SF I'm telling you I was SF, not a rigger that packed chutes. And he wrote that bio to give people the impression that he was something he isn't.

Socnet has already covered it. http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=85123

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CSM-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:12   #6
Viking
Quiet Professional

Two things that jumped out at me.
"The US Army Sniper School" is at Benning not Lewis. Though I know 1st Grp runs a course, it is not "The School".

Since when would Fort Hood be a "special operational base"???

200 jumps in 3rd Group? Had to be a rigger cause I've been in 3rd more than a day and I don't have near that many. Why wouldn't he list Jumpmaster? Surely he didn't do that many jumps and not go to the JM course.

Looks like a poser, smells like a poser, acts like a poser=POSER!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:39   #7
Green Light
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Since when would Fort Hood be a "special operational base"???
Didn't 5th Gp have a B team and a few A teams there for desert ops back in the 80s?

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:43   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Light View Post
Didn't 5th Gp have a B team and a few A teams there for desert ops back in the 80s?
Ft Bliss with B500, IIRC.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:21   #9
Green Light
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

TR
That's right! I'd forgotten about the odd designation.

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ
Old 06-29-2010, 12:24   #10
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

TR
yup...."Toneys Tigers"...

took all the rangers out of the companies, he had his "pick of the litter"
Old 06-29-2010, 12:42   #11
Green Light
Quiet Professional

I knew it was some sort of Texas garden spot.

Methinks this guy has padded his resume by omission. You can make yourself looks like a superman by leaving out a couple of details. It's not unheard of in the martial arts world.

I saw one with an old acquaintance of mine online. He's a real SF guy and a real bad dude. But his online bio makes him look like superman on steroids. Still no excuse.

TJ
Old 06-29-2010, 23:21   #12
Guy
Quiet Professional

80s desert tng...

Was actually in Fort Huachuca, AZ then we moved to Ft Biss in 83/84.

Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 23:31   #13
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Was actually in Fort Huachuca, AZ then we moved to Ft Biss in 83/84.

Stay safe.
It was sure fun to go out for a visit. We jumped in and I think that was the first time I ever did an in-flight rig. We got to shoot at all the ranges, use the RedEye simulator dome, and drive the US-Mex border in the DMVS (that was serious fun, especially when it turned into an "invasion" note to B Det -- bring more then one map.). We also contracted a local climbing guide who took us out to Waco Tanks to do some excellent technical climbing. Oh and the Texas girls can teach anyone how to two-step.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:47   #14
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
and the Texas girls can teach anyone how to two-step.
In my case, and many others I knew, you'd have to add the qualifier, "IF you'd consumed enough beer" - preferably 'Lone Star' longnecks!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:18   #15
zuluzerosix
Guerrilla

Not that this matters, Chung Do Kwan is one of the original 9 arts that became Tae Kwon Do. It was founded in the early 1940's

The art itself mirrors Shotokan Karate, as it;s founder was also a black belt in that art.

Nobody really teaches it anymore. I am curious who promoted him to Black belt in CDK. CDK is Taekwondo. Specifically it the breed taught by the ATA. I know you all have probably seen the ATA (American Tae Kwon Do Academy) schools on every street corner. They are THE McDojo of McDojo's.

I have a feeling it is an ATA blackbelt.

The only person really teaching this hard style the way it was bac k in the
1940's is located in Texas.

If any of you fellas from Texas remember names like Allen Steen, Pat Burleson, David Moon you will know the system I am taking about.