Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 04-16-2008, 22:03   #1
charlietwo
Quiet Professional

Resume Questions

I separated from active duty back in June '07 under the hopes that my experience and training would give me a strong resume and a good chance at getting a quality, professional job. Yet, for some reason, I couldn't get a response to save my life and I eventually ended up going to a veterans job fair to get a job as a general warehouse worker at a local shipping supplies company. This wouldn't be such an issue at the moment, however I developed a herniated disc in my L5-S1 at some point during my active duty stint. This has slowly digressed into a severe herniation which causes serious pain on a daily basis, particularly at work where I'm on my feet the entire day. Throw in the fact that the VA denied me any disability compensation, and my new 8-a-day vicodin habit, and I have myself in a fucked up situation. (I know, I know... )

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone out there has had some similar experiences or at least a few tips for my resume that can convey to these employers what SF soldiers are capable of. Anything will help at this point, as I'm at my wits end at this point and strongly considering going under the surgeons knife to fix my back.

Looking forward to any responses! Thanks fellas.

-Blake
charlietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:31   #2
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietwo View Post
Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone out there has had some similar experiences or at least a few tips for my resume that can convey to these employers what SF soldiers are capable of.
Resume writing is both an art and a science and trying to capture qualities you feel that you have by virtue of your service means nothing to most who read it unless they have some basic grounding in the military. This is nothing more than understanding the target audience and laying out what you accomplished in terms they understand. Most guys write something as if they were going before a promotion board, others use terms like "leadership and management skills" and those in the civilian community reading such terms use their own frame of reference in defining what you wrote to fit there own parameters. I have found that the best way to approach this is to fully understand the position you want, the values of the organization you are attempting to join, their weaknesses and strengths. Build your resume to show that you are not only a team player but bring to their organization values they hold important and that your strengths will contribute to their goals. I have also found that one resume does not fit all situations. It is just like walking in and talking with the indig, you have to understand what they understand, what they want, and how you are going to help them get there. It all starts with a mission analysis based on good intel

I have probably overstated the obvious, however I just drew conclusions from what you wrote. Things like "quality job" can mean many things to many people. Hell shoveling horse shit from stable in Illinois can be a "quality job" if they give you a bucket loader but not so if you have to use a spoon. As your Senator from Illinois states-words matter.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:52   #3
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

C2 PM inbound

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:34   #4
bravo22b
Guerrilla

As part of my job, I read a lot of resumes, and I hire people who have little or no experience in my field, but who I think have the potential to learn the highly skilled trade we utilize. I prefer someone who has the intelligence and drive to be a good employee rather than someone with years of experience who simply wants to mark time.
That said, if you want to PM me a copy of your resume, I would be happy to take a look at it. Maybe I can offer some helpful suggestions.
bravo22b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 18:37   #5
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney View Post
I have found that the best way to approach this is to fully understand the position you want, the values of the organization you are attempting to join, their weaknesses and strengths. Build your resume to show that you are not only a team player but bring to their organization values they hold important and that your strengths will contribute to their goals. I have also found that one resume does not fit all situations. It is just like walking in and talking with the indig, you have to understand what they understand, what they want, and how you are going to help them get there. It all starts with a mission analysis based on good intel
As usual the Colonel is spot on.

charlietwo, I was a headhunter for 8+ years and revamped many a Military resume during that time. If I can be of help shoot me a PM, be happy to assist.
Old 04-17-2008, 20:33   #6
charlietwo
Quiet Professional

Re:

Jack--
All points very well taken. On my way out the door, the ACAP workshops surprisingly gave me some very good ideas and put me down the right path in regards to the job search and submitting a quality resume. Now that I re-read your post a few times, I'm beginning to realize that the problem may lie in the fact that most jobs I applied to are internet-based and completely structured in what information they are looking for. Employers typically only want to know what degree I hold (or don't hold for that matter) and what my duties were in prior positions. I haven't came across many employers that make exceptions to minority situations like military veterans, or more specifically combat veterans with our level of training and knowledge. Without trying to sound like I'm tooting my own horn, I consider my ability to write and wordsmith one of my greater assets, so I figured that my resume would be of little difficulty. *shrugs*

In regards to my 'quality jobs' comment, I'm currently putting shipping stickers on freight skids before they are loaded into a truck for 8 hours a day at $15.50 an hour. Feeling overqualified would be a gross understatement I just want a job where I feel like I'm actually using my talents and skills to contribute to society, rather than being treated like I hardly graduated high school . Anyways, I'll put the violin back again

It might be more simple in the parameters of this message board to just post the aspects of my resume which could require tweaking. Also, I'll PM my resumes to bravo and gypsy just for redundancies sake. If anyone else has some suggestions, I'm all ears.

Again, thanks for all the help everyone!
-------------
(bulleted within the document itself)
Summary of Qualifications
• Graduate of the US Army Special Forces Qualification Course.
• Possesses strong oral and written communications skills.
• Real world experience of radio communications in stressful and dangerous situations.
• Thoroughly cross-trained in radio etiquette and operations.
• Proven leadership capabilities in stressful environments with diverse groups of people.
• Well versed and proficient in Microsoft systems and programs.
• Able to type at over 75 words per minute.
• Specialized and experienced in the formal and informal training of large groups of people in various subjects.
• Earned a Meritorious Bronze Star for operational success while deployed to Iraq (Jan-Aug 2006).
• Bilingual: conversational in Tagalog (Filipino) with 6 months of formal training.
• Possess a Secret security clearance through the Department of Defense.

(skipping past the work experience that is simple to convey in civilian terms)

Detachment Intelligence Sergeant
March 2006 – November 2006
Operational Detachment 191, 1st Special Forces Group, US Army, Fort Lewis, WA

Assumed role of higher-ranking position after two months in Iraq. Analyzed, planned, and presented over 70 computer-generated target products that resulted in the capture and detainment of numerous insurgents. Led and advised Iraqi Reconnaissance soldiers in over 20 counter-insurgency operations with no injuries or casualties.

Junior Detachment Engineer Sergeant October 2004 - March 2006
1st Special Forces Group, US Army, Fort Lewis, WA

Directly responsible for the logistic preparations, planning and execution of three separate training operations, and one deployment to Iraq.
---------
Those are likely the most vital parts of the resume. I did the best I could with what I had. Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2008, 21:08   #7
Mustang66
Asset

No expert here

I have been updating and maintaining my resume for the past 5-6 years. The biggest thing I can input is to demilitarize it as much as possible.

For example instead of
Quote:
Assumed role of higher-ranking position after two months in Iraq
something along the lines of. I was selected over x number of peers or senior ranking members to assume the position of (blank).

Another example
Quote:
Analyzed, planned, and presented over 70 computer-generated target products that resulted in the capture and detainment of numerous insurgents.
Break this down further. Talk about each portion individual. 1. Analyzed. 2. Planned. 3. Presented over 70 computer generated target products. 4. Results of this. What did you use to present these? Did you produce these products, if so how? Powerpoint? Try to give them as much detail as possible in their terms.

Quote:
Directly responsible for the logistic preparations, planning and execution of three separate training operations, and one deployment to Iraq.
Again here talk each point. Additionally dollar amounts of equipment you were responsible for.

I am no expert but some of things I have learned along the way while working on my resume. Additionally if you have any friends or relatives in the corporate world get it into their hands. I have been doing this for years and it has helped me with mine.
Mustang66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 23:06   #8
3SoldierDad
Guerrilla

Thought...

I have a pretty sound way to get a job. It's not resume dependent - Although, you'll still want a quality resume.

Think about SF, you had to work really hard BEFORE you ever got in.

Here's my point, and what I'm about to tell you works. I've never served in the military, but am thinking about your question for my own sons when they enter the world of being ex-military. What I am about to tell you takes some balls, and you could get some egg on your face. But, if you have some guts you can do this and get the job you want. Briefly, let me say something about my belief of SF men....They are better men. And, guess what? All employers in this world want better men.

So, here we go. Decide what job you're looking for and KNOW that you can perform well at. Identify a decision maker in the business - someone who can pull the trigger on a hire like you. Either on the phone, or better face-to-face give the person your "elevator pitch" - your verbal resume, that explains why you are the man.

Here's the clincher.

Quote:
"Mr. Smith I've been fortunate enough to serve our country in its Special Forces as an XXXX Sergeant. I've been a leader of highly qualified, highly motivated men like myself. Before Uncle Sam gave me this privilege to serve our country among these terrific soldiers, he tried me before he bought me. Let me explain - I worked very hard before being Selected for training as a Special Forces soldier - And, then I worked even harder before I became Qualified and received my Special Forces tab - And, when I finally joined my A-Team the commitment and work went up yet another notch. I know how to work to get what I want - I know how to lead and how to persevere. Mr. Smith, here's the deal - hire me at no cost - try me for a month at now pay, if at the end of the month you don't think I'm one of your best assets, one of your best workers - let me go. No harm no foul. However, if at the end of the month you like what you got I become one of your right hand men."
Often even if they don't have a position they will make one for a man like that.

There is risk, but it does work - I've used a variation of the above in my own world - Of course, my variation didn't include the Army. This world is hungry for guys with guts.

I also know that SF men are not comfortable blowing their own horn...Well, when it comes to feeding your family - bragging ain't bragging when you're telling the truth.

Three Soldier Dad...Chuck

- Mark Twain

Last edited by 3SoldierDad; 04-18-2008 at 05:50.
3SoldierDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:28   #9
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang66 View Post
The biggest thing I can input is to demilitarize it as much as possible.
I agree, unless of course you are dealing with military related positions. I can read all sorts of things into your bullets. You need to cut down on some and tell what you did and makes you best qualified for folks looking for those particular achievements/skills. Your comment about real world experience in radio communication in stressful and dangerous stituations does not paint enough of picture for someone who does not understand what you are talking about. You want something like: Was able to establish and transmit vital information in a class 4 monsoon, while modifying my half wave lenght antenna to compensate for a thining F1 layer, water running down the crack of my butt, firing my wpn with one hand, tapping out 22 wpm with the other, while directing my indigenous counterpart to pick the leeches off my eye lids so I could direct him to provide covering fire. That establishes the parameters of stressful and dangerous. Someone in LA reading your original comment might think you are talking on a cell phone while weaving in and out of traffic something more akin to Jason Stratham in one of his movies. Some yuppie in NYC might think you are caught in rush hour traffic, talking on your bluetooth, while balancing a cup of coffee late for a sushi bar appointment with your bosses daughter. Things like proven leadership capabilites-what did your proven leadership capabilities accomplish, ie, how did you enable your subordinates to succeed and at what. Just from my standpoint there is a lot of good information but no substance to show why you are the MAN for the position. Things like "posses strong oral and "written" skills-in compared to what? If you go back to your training and think about the bullets as tasks that are vital for you to perform for this job, just add the rest of the information that shows you exceeded the standard and can work above the conditions lesser mortals might not find tenable. I don't just want to know that you can just do "things" I want to know that you can meet or exceed the expectations of perfomance under the conditions I am going to need you to operate within my organization. Just my observations for what they are worth.
Old 04-18-2008, 14:26   #10
Geo
Asset

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...113---,00.html
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 14:30   #11
JGarcia
Guerrilla

My boss has given me tons of latitude, more so than anyone else in my position because he can trust me to get it done.

Recently he had me going over the applications and resumes of people that applied to work for us. It was great to do this, but also a little saddening too.

You see I work for the gov't. The job I do is PERFECT for any combat arms guy with a head for land nav, a knowledge of GPS, and a love of adventure. But when I looked over the applicants there was not ONE veteran.

I wonder why they do not apply, and I guess it might be that they cant seem to imagine how they qualify for the job. Especially when under the "Qualifications" tab, the description typically start out with "a college degree", but they go on to say at the end of the qualifications description "or equivalent experience."

Suffice it to say that we are hiring NO ONE this year, though we could use two guys in my office right now. As three soldier dad indicated, guys like you are hard to come by and in high demand. You're just not looking in the right place.

Want to hike all day in the mountains, drive ATV's, operate boats, get hot dirty and exhausted every day? With little to no supervision, and if you can take the required classes on your own time, you can work your way up to be a GS11 or 12. When your back, feet, knees, give out and you're just not cutting it in the field anymore there is plenty of work writing legal descriptions, gathering documents, and so on.

Or you could load trucks.

Seriously, if anyone of you is looking for a career after SF or combat arms, but still want a little adventure, get into Cadastral Surveying with the US BLM. The job is a mix of investigator, logger, off road driver, boat operator, scout, engineer, inspector, and all around adventure guy. You'll start off small, but if you do the homework you can make a better than average salary.

Last edited by JGarcia; 04-18-2008 at 14:35. Reason: Clarity.
JGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 15:33   #12
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGarcia View Post
Want to hike all day in the mountains, drive ATV's, operate boats, get hot dirty and exhausted every day...When your back, feet, knees, give out and you're just not cutting it in the field anymore there is plenty of work writing legal descriptions, gathering documents, and so on. .
I started surveying when my back, feet, knees and shoulders couldn't handle active duty...and I damned sure didn't retire to write legal descriptions, review title reports or go down to the court house to flirt with the ladies at the clerk's office...strike that last one...

Quote:
Or you could load trucks..
Funny you should mention that...I retired as a major at the end of March in '94...I began my survey career while on terminal leave, making $6 an hour Loading Trucks, sharpening machetes, humping equipment over hill and dale (down cliff, up cliff in the Four Corners area)...it is not a living for someone with an overly-high opinion of their personal worth or someone who is afraid of spiders, snakes, and the occassional hostile adjoiner.

Quote:
Seriously, if anyone of you is looking for a career after SF or combat arms, but still want a little adventure, get into Cadastral Surveying with the US BLM. The job is a mix of investigator, logger, off road driver, boat operator, scout, engineer, inspector, and all around adventure guy. You'll start off small, but if you do the homework you can make a better than average salary.
You make me want to sign up...but you forgot to mention the fact that arriving at the GS 11/12 level requires passing two national exams and at least one state exam...or that BLM pays about 70-90% of what a licensed surveyor makes in private practice...

I swear, you have the soul of a recruiter...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 16:24   #13
JGarcia
Guerrilla

Exams?! there are exams!?

Actually, if a man is capable of being SF he is capable of doing a little bit of study and earning his license. Also, with BLM you are not required to have a surveyors license to do the surveying, since BLM is the licensing authority... thats how we get away with it.

Steve o,

We're about to get this CFEDS off the ground here in CA, probably in the fall. I am all for it, it means that we get to do a whole lot of inspecting and contract out all the brush line clearing... Which for me is the reall ass kicker of this job.

You private guys may earn more money, but we don't have the lay offs like you do. I guess I really love this job, so it's hard for me not to look at it with anything other than rose colored lenses.

Cadastral Survey... because it would kill a normal man.

You have purdy ladies at the court house? Last records search we did, I met a hairlipped old fart at CalTrans, and a beehived headed old lady at the irrigation district. We're working on an indian res boundary right now.

Last edited by JGarcia; 04-18-2008 at 16:41.
JGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 16:59   #14
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
You private guys may earn more money, but we don't have the lay offs like you do. I guess I really love this job, so it's hard for me not to look at it with anything other than rose colored lenses.
Here's the real deal-maker for BLM versus the private sector...Cadastral surveying beats construction staking hands down...and given the fact that for every five (5) licensed surveyors that retire, die or get fed up and quit, four (4) get licensed...the average age of an LS was 59 five years ago...and it's 59 1/2 today....I have no fears of being laid off...fired, maybe, but not laid off...but as far as licensure goes, I don't believe there are too many BLM Surveyors at the GS 11/12 level who are not...and those that aren't will be retiring soon...at least according to some of the CFedS folks I've talked with.
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 21:47   #15
charlietwo
Quiet Professional

lol Jack... thanks for making my day, brother Advice well taken. I'm beginning to recognize that the ACAP workshops had me entrenched in the concept of resume brevity... "your resume needs to catch their attention in the first 10 seconds" I think was almost a direct quote.

I think the most frustrating thing for me has been finding the balance between explaining my capabilities and holding employers interest in my resume... I think I've become jaded about what employers think of military veterans, specifically combat veterans

*shrug* I'm gonna shut up now and fix my resume. Thanks brothers!

blake