Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 10-09-2004, 14:43   #61
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by odoylerules
Thanks, sir.

Are these the ones? http://wellco.com/html/bhwctv.html

If so, what's the leather cap on the tongue like? Does it cover the whole thing, the way the leather covers the Gore-Tex on ICBs or is it just hanging a little bit off the top and the rest is like a normal jungle boots tongue (ie, canvas only, uncovered by leather)?
Yes, those are the ones. The tongue is canvas up to the top of it, where there is a piece of leather to keep the laces and knots from dinging the shin so badly.

Here is what a well-worn one looks like (My God, I am reduced to shooting pics of my boots. The horror....)

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG0004d.JPG (39.9 KB, 626 views)
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 14:52   #62
odoylerules
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Here is what a well-worn one looks like (My God, I am reduced to shooting pics of my boots. The horror....)
Am I supposed to apologize or thank you now??? Take your pick, sir.
odoylerules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 16:23   #63
Scrappy
Asset

What boots do yall recomend?

I just bought a a pair of Hanwag Special Forces GTX boots and im happy with them. i was wondering what yalls favorite brand was?
Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 16:35   #64
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Scrappy:

Please use the search button before starting new threads. Thank you.

Since you added your opinion, I will merge this with another thread you could have found. There several other boot threads you may find of interest.

RL
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 16:38   #65
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Hey, Scrappy.

Before you (as a guest) decide to pump up your post count here with your comments and questions, you might take the time to read some stickies and familiarize yourself with the little button in the upper right corner of your screen that has the word "Search" on it.

Save yourself some trauma and do some lurking and reading for a little while, and search before you post a question. Chances are someone has already asked it.

Repeatedly.

Situational Awareness.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 03-17-2005, 16:40   #66
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

You also need to fill out your profile before you post again.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 06:01   #67
ccrn
Guerrilla

Quote:

The Ingenius socks are the heat and will make up for many boot deficiencies.

TR

http://www.wigwam.com/flashIndex.html

Sir,

Which particular sock do you recommend by Ingenius?

ccrn
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 06:34   #68
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Boots, you guys had boots. Next you are going to tell me that you had plastic canteens and a light weight, collapsible entrenching tool.

Actually the best boots for me in the warm months were the old green jungle boots as long as you pulled out the inner sole desiged to give you blisters but intended to protect you from punji stakes.

Had several pairs of Chippewas which were fine as long as they were dry and the weather stayed above freezing, other wise they were too stiff but the felt insoles were good for using as a coaster to put down your metal canteen cup on the ice so it didn't freeze right away.

Best overall boots were my German Mountain Boots for all around temperate zone stuff.

GSG-9 boots were the most comfortable and most versital for all the urban stuff.

The most comfortable were a pair of German Bergsteig's which I wore while in mufti situations.

Also have a couple of pairs of experimental boots that the Army did not want to adopt because they were too practical, too expensive, wore well, were extremely comfortable, warm, waterproof, light weight, durable in all types of terrain and just too damn good for the troops. After 20 years they have stood up to everything and are indestructable. Wear them all the time now.

Jack Moroney-kept my boots laced tight so they didn't come lose when extracting them from someone's 4th POC
Old 03-18-2005, 08:58   #69
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrn
http://www.wigwam.com/flashIndex.html

Sir,

Which particular sock do you recommend by Ingenius?

ccrn
What do you wish to wear them in?

TR

Old 03-18-2005, 09:30   #70
CommoGeek
Guerrilla

Concur on the Wellcos but one note: I have 2 pair, one black ICB and one desert ICB. The desert are a newer style (they have "Wellco" stamped on the side by the heel) but both are the same size. The newer style seems to be dead on in width but a bit long. For example I would recommend ordering 10W in the desert instead of my normal 10 1/2 wide. The arch doesn't quite fit my foot like the black ICB's.

So, I'm not sure if the slight size difference is due to the desert ICB's or the newer style.

As TR stated they are a bit warm, but very comfotable. I wore some orthotics in old jungle boots and I have no such problems with my Wellcos. Remove from the box, lace, walk. Repeat as needed.
CommoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:32   #71
CommoGeek
Guerrilla

ccrn,
Heavyweight in the winter, mediumweight for summer use, and lightweight for around the FOB works for me. TR's mileage will probably vary owing to our "slightly" different backgrounds.
Old 03-18-2005, 23:26   #72
ccrn
Guerrilla

Quote:
What do you wish to wear them in?

TR
Sir,

Right now I have the Belleville ICBs that were issued to me. Then in the summer I will switch to a warm weather boot, possibly the Welco that you wear.

I just recieved the Belleville ICB and the info that comes with them states to not poilsh them. That will take some getting used to-

CG,

Light, medium, or heavy in which style? The site has atheletic, outdoor, snow etc (www.wigwam.com).

Ive been using the Thorlo medium hiking boot sock as recommended by James, as well as the green superfoot (in old boots, not ICB). They work very well but I tend to sweat in them quite a bit.

I dont know if I'll use the superfeet in my new ICBs. So far they have been as good or better than any civilian boot Ive owned-

Thanks

ccrn
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 00:27   #73
CommoGeek
Guerrilla

ccrn,
The Ingenious Hiker, Boot, and Everyday socks. I use the Everyday around the FOB, the others for colder weather. My feet do get hot in them though. I haven't done any rucking so I don't know if the Everyday are too thin for rucking but they are noticably cooler in the summer.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:46   #74
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrn
Sir,

Right now I have the Belleville ICBs that were issued to me. Then in the summer I will switch to a warm weather boot, possibly the Welco that you wear.

I just recieved the Belleville ICB and the info that comes with them states to not poilsh them. That will take some getting used to-

CG,

Light, medium, or heavy in which style? The site has atheletic, outdoor, snow etc (www.wigwam.com).

Ive been using the Thorlo medium hiking boot sock as recommended by James, as well as the green superfoot (in old boots, not ICB). They work very well but I tend to sweat in them quite a bit.

I dont know if I'll use the superfeet in my new ICBs. So far they have been as good or better than any civilian boot Ive owned-

Thanks

ccrn
Well, since IIRC, in ICB, the B stands for boots, the Ingenius Boot Sock is probably the right choice.

TR

Old 03-19-2005, 14:41   #75
MAB32

We wear allot of "Hi-Tecs" up here and they seem to hold up well in the snow and rain. Did a week long class with TTOS in Columbus a few years back and they held up real well with the exception of the toe portions turning green. In the winter we just put on Seal Skins and that helps out allot.