Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Fur

Old 06-27-2015, 19:07   #1
PSM
Area Commander

OK, it's a tarantula, but it is furry

When we cleared the land for the house we wiped them out. They are finally coming back. They are damned cool. The body is about 2" and the whole thing is about 4" across.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0627151742.jpg (99.0 KB, 137 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 19:18   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
You need to name them.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 19:26   #3
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
You need to name them.
We name our lizards. One is called Stumpy.

ETA: The one in the pic is Merlin the Lizard. He's asleep on our screen and I measured him at 11".

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0622152129.jpg (34.5 KB, 98 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 06-27-2015 at 19:36.
Old 06-27-2015, 20:05   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
He's a big'n. What kind is he?

Down in the Keys we have Green Iguanas. This one was my mother's pet. Washed up in her yard after Hurricane Georges in 98 and stuck around for about 4 yrs. He was just a tad over 5ft.. She called him Iggy. You could hand feed him if you approached him slowly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iggy_Color.jpg (134.0 KB, 59 views)

Old 06-27-2015, 20:42   #5
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
He's a big'n. What kind is he?
Clark's Spiny.

The tarantula followed us home and showed up at (on) the front door. This is about 100' from the first photo. "Mom, he followed me home. Can I keep him?"

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0627151854.jpg (40.4 KB, 90 views)

Old 06-27-2015, 20:57   #6
PSM
Area Commander

Iguanas

A Scottish friend of ours used to work for ONA (Overseas National Airline) as a kind of "facilitator". She was sent to some African country and, when she checked into her "hotel", as she headed to her hut, the deskman said, "Mam, your iguana." He gave her a candle and an iguana. Don't see service like that here!

Pat

Last edited by PSM; 06-27-2015 at 21:03.
Old 06-28-2015, 19:00   #7
PSM
Area Commander

Geez, yesterday a tarantula, today a bull. The rancher that runs his cattle on the BLM land around us, lost a bull a couple of weeks ago. While my wife was out for her morning walk this morning, she left the gate open. So who shows up?

This has happened before and that bull scratched himself on our well pump power box and destroyed it. We chased this one out before he could get into any trouble.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0628151524a.jpg (68.9 KB, 65 views)

Old 06-28-2015, 19:27   #8
Sohei
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Geez, yesterday a tarantula, today a bull. The rancher that runs his cattle on the BLM land around us, lost a bull a couple of weeks ago. While my wife was out for her morning walk this morning, she left the gate open. So who shows up?

This has happened before and that bull scratched himself on our well pump power box and destroyed it. We chased this one out before he could get into any trouble.

Pat
Brother, you could start up a business by selling tickets and allowing people to drive through your yard as though it were a wildlife area!
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 19:46   #9
PRB
Quiet Professional

We get tarantulas walking about regularly, especially after a good rain. I think they are cool as hell and they'll walk up your arm no issue as long as you remain quiet. Not aggressive at all, rather laid back.

The gut that has the cattle permit next to us does a good job of fencing but he must keep his bulls elsewhere...just cow/calf.

They love to rub on shit and can really screw up a truck or whatever fast.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 22:55   #10
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I think they are cool as hell...
They really are. Now wolf spiders are freaky! They are almost as big and look like a fielder's mit running around.

Pat

Old 06-29-2015, 03:23   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post

Pat
I don't know Pat,, That sure looks like a TEXAS size BBQ Opportunity??

Old 06-29-2015, 07:14   #12
chance
Guerrilla Chief

As a kid growing up on the base of Carr Canyon, we used to catch tarantulas all the time. Heck my Wife even remembers once as kids me showing her you could pick them up.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:37   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I don't know Pat,, That sure looks like a TEXAS size BBQ Opportunity??
Exactly!

I'd purchase a very large chest freezer, shotgun slugs and wait. Call me when its butchering time.....
Old 06-29-2015, 10:43   #14
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Exactly!

I'd purchase a very large chest freezer, shotgun slugs and wait. Call me when its butchering time.....
Hell he is already under the tree so you do not have to drag him to hang him up....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 18:35   #15
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Hell he is already under the tree so you do not have to drag him to hang him up....
Followup! The rancher told us to leave our gate open and he's eventually leave. Well, he didn't. He settled down under that tree in the picture. After about half an hour, he jumped up and ran down the driveway and out the gate. There is a HUGE red harvester ant colony under that tree.

Pat