Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 06-06-2013, 16:14   #16
Debo
Quiet Professional

Beat me to it Dusty. I was about to post that same speech. The complete video is on Youtube as well.

D.
Debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 18:00   #17
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsmasher View Post
Just looking at that beachhead and imaging the defenses that those men were facing puts a ball of lead in my stomach. I cant imagine what it was like to have the ramps drop and look into that swirling maw of death. And then they charged right into the face of it and conquered it. Unbelievable bravery.
Left door only, no ramps in the C-47s.

No loadmasters either, IIRC.

Enlisted pilots, though.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 19:16   #18
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Enlisted pilots, though.

TR
Old 06-06-2013, 20:26   #19
Gypsy
Area Commander

Dusty, good to read that. I was listening to the radio while doing some errands at lunchtime today and they replayed that...still gives me chills.

Lest we forget.
Old 06-06-2013, 20:32   #20
Ghost_Team
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsmasher View Post
Just looking at that beachhead and imaging the defenses that those men were facing puts a ball of lead in my stomach. I cant imagine what it was like to have the ramps drop and look into that swirling maw of death. And then they charged right into the face of it and conquered it. Unbelievable bravery.
Island Hopping. North Africa. The Phillipines. D-Day. Pick your theater, name your battle, and you will find a piece of history cementing the reputation "The Greatest Generation." I'll forever be in awe of their accomplishments.
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost "The Road Not Taken"
Ghost_Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 21:37   #21
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Left door only, no ramps in the C-47s.

No loadmasters either, IIRC.

Enlisted pilots, though.

TR
I think he was talking about the ramps on the Higging boats...from a Leg perspective.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 21:38   #22
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Another good spech. Imagine being handed this as you waited to board the aircraft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ikesmessage.jpg (457.1 KB, 77 views)
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 23:00   #23
Stobey
Guerrilla Chief

Question JUST A QUESTION...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
I think he was talking about the ramps on the Higging boats...from a Leg perspective.

Did you mean "Higgins" boats - or have I remembered it wrong?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:59   #24
Loadsmasher
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
Since I am a filthy leg, yes I was.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:14   #25
FILO
Guerrilla

A few photos from the June 6, 1984 celebration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Memorial Pointe du Hoc June 6 1984 001.jpg (42.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Pointe du Hoc June 6 1984 001.jpg (36.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Normandy -Omaha cemetery 001.jpg (42.5 KB, 45 views)
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:16   #26
FILO
Guerrilla

The CH53 photo was the last on my roll and is one of the chase birds arriving prior to Marine 1 with RR at PDH.
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 16:07   #27
Flagg
Area Commander

I know some US/UK/Canadian veterans that get together and jump in groups such as the Liberty Jump Team.

Including a few who jumped this year in France.

They often use a couple C47s, including 1 or 2 that are actually WWII and D-Day veteran airframes from what I've heard.

It sounds like next year's 70th has potential to be a big one from groups such as those.

Hopefully there will also be a big official presence next year from the US and UK Airborne/SF units that jumped or trace their lineage to that history.

I hope the sequestration/budget cuts don't take away from putting on an awesome show next year.

Unfortunately, the actuarial tables on life expectancy probably mean that most of the D-Day vets who are still around next year, probably will not be there for the 75th. So hopefully it's a display that properly pays homage to their effort and sacrifice.

I remember reading about President Reagan's speech at the 40th Anniversary event when I was a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEIqdcHbc8I

So I'll just leave this right here

I've seen a few really scenic photos(French castle/monestary/church in background) of what looked like a few SF fellas on the ground who jumped last year.

Does anyone know what kind of numbers jumped at the 40th or 50th D-Day Anniversary events?

Do you reckon there will be a big active duty/official turnout for jumping next year?
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 19:06   #28
mojaveman
Area Commander

Only met one D-Day veteran in my life and I used to drink beers with him at the American Legion that I was a member of. He had plenty of pictures so I knew he was legitimate. Anyway, I'll never forget the time when he told me that both the Germans and Americans were shooting at each others medics. Guess the fighting was pretty nasty for awhile.

Last edited by mojaveman; 06-10-2013 at 13:37.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:31   #29
SPEC4
Guerrilla

citizen solidier

When I met my wife's "Uncle Pete", he was impressed that I had been a paratrooper and he had lot's of questions regarding my service.
I proudly described my exciting, though brief, military career.

I asked if he had served he was with the 90th infantry, made two amphibious assaults, north Africa and Normandy.
I was impressed with this mild mannered man that had not discussed his experiences with his family. We had a lasting bond until he passed away ten years ago.

rest easy "Tough 'Ombre"

Learn from the mistakes of others...you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Love is like a fart, if you have to force it ......it's CRAP.

If you stay ready you don't have to get ready - an old Fireman
SPEC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 17:51   #30
Dreadnought
BANNED USER

While reading the book "D-Day" by Antony Beevor (which I recommend to everyone), he makes mention of at least a few different chalks where confused pilots had given the green light and the entire stick burned it at way too low of an altitude. Mentions at least one instance of finding an entire stick, laying dead on the ground in a line in the order they exited, because of this failure. I can't imagine it.

I really regret not being able to meet Len Lomell. I missed the opportunity because of either a deployment or some school.

Visiting the beaches of Normandy, specifically Pointe du Hoc, is up high on my list of things to do before I die, hopefully.
Dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote