Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 02-23-2005, 00:03   #1
Aces_&_8s
Asset

Which Chest Harness?????

Which Chest Harness for 2nd line gear would be a better buy....the HSGI Denali or BH Commando Recon CH? I guess each one would have its pro's and con's, but what do you fellas think?

Grazie,
A8
Aces_&_8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:58   #2
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

I really like HSGI gear, and only use BHI as a last resort.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:55   #3
eggroll
Guerrilla

can you be a bit more specific as to your 'need' and 'requirements'

are you looking for modularity or fixed pocket?

what weapon? - over Body armor?

EGG
Old 02-26-2005, 15:06   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Generically, I would say that if you buy the BHI version of anything, be prepared for it to fail at the worst possible moment, and plan accordingly.

OTOH, Gene's HSGI stuff is virtually bulletproof, and not that much more money.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 15:25   #5
Archangel
BANNED USER

What do you guys think of this:

Special Operations Technologies Callahan 3
http://www.rstacticalgear.com/prod_i...ahan_PC_lg.jpg

I really liked it until I saw this:

HSGI Wasatch
http://store1.yimg.com/I/optacticalgear_1828_3687226
($100 less & holds 12 Mags & some other goodies)
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 18:18   #6
eggroll
Guerrilla

again both rigs satisfy differing groups - there was still a bit of animosity between SOTECH and HSGI (well mostly from the SOTECH camp) about the similarity between the rigs.

That being said, you cant go wrong with hsgi, however if you not EGGROLLsized, then youll run into sizing issues with the wasatch, that is if you dont run plates and arent wearing this over IBA

Again you arent giving us much to go on.

EGG
Old 02-26-2005, 21:10   #7
Archangel
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggroll
again both rigs satisfy differing groups - there was still a bit of animosity between SOTECH and HSGI (well mostly from the SOTECH camp) about the similarity between the rigs.

That being said, you cant go wrong with hsgi, however if you not EGGROLLsized, then youll run into sizing issues with the wasatch, that is if you dont run plates and arent wearing this over IBA

EGG
Just planning on using Stand-Alone Level IV plates (No IBA).
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:18   #8
PSYOP Rob
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggroll

EGG
Okay, Ill bite, what if you are 6'2" 210 and want a vest that either can be used in conjuction with IBA or (the more expensive option) is there one that accepts SAPI plates and offers ballistic protection to the areas not covered by the plates. It should be modular and I carry both an M9 and an M4. Any advice would be appreciated.
PSYOP Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:47   #9
Prester John
Quiet Professional

I am 5'10" and weigh in at a whopping 150 lbs. I have the wasatch and like it ONLY when wearing IBA as it fills me out a little and gives the wasatch a little base of support. Without IBA and plates I find that the outermost mag/radio pouches are useless, because they wrap around my torso. It is light, and is customizable for what pouches and gear I need. Plates fit good... I'm just a little small for the cut of it.

That being said... I can't see using it that much and am going to pickup either a paraclete armor vest or start using my warlord over my IBA.

Doug
Prester John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:48   #10
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces_&_8s
BH Commando Recon CH
It is a bitch to put on and adjust, and it is not the most confortable I found! Plus pretty much all the front tension and weight is supported by just two plastic clips. I wouldnt put my safety onto those two clips.
Old 05-02-2005, 15:45   #11
Rotor Strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYOP Rob
Okay, Ill bite, what if you are 6'2" 210 and want a vest that either can be used in conjuction with IBA or (the more expensive option) is there one that accepts SAPI plates and offers ballistic protection to the areas not covered by the plates. It should be modular and I carry both an M9 and an M4. Any advice would be appreciated.
Yes, it's called the Warhammer. Made for Lightfighter Tactical by Special Operations Equipment.

http://www.lightfighter.com/index.as...odID=1430&HS=1
Old 05-02-2005, 16:43   #12
lurp
Asset

Hi

I must say I'm very happy with both the HSGI and BH riggs. It all comes down to the mission/work...
I recomend the Warlord from HSGI, it's the most fantastic piece of gear I got

Photos of my vests-
http://asia.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/l...f9.jpg&.src=ph

http://asia.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/l...9b.jpg&.src=ph
lurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 17:06   #13
Prester John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Renuart
Yes, it's called the Warhammer. Made for Lightfighter Tactical by Special Operations Equipment.

http://www.lightfighter.com/index.as...odID=1430&HS=1
What's the fundamental difference between this and the HSGI Wasatch or Wesatch?

EDIT:

Did a little reading and saw the primary difference was padding (a point that is moot if wearing IBA, right?). The shoulder strap padding not on the Wasatch is a downside. Is there any particular brand of these plate carriers better designed for a thin framed user like myself?

Last edited by Prester John; 05-02-2005 at 17:30.
Prester John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 18:07   #14
eggroll
Guerrilla

<blurb>Let me caveat this .. I have at no time served in the green, I have though busted a few caps and have spent the better part of the last 10 years trying to find that one 'do it all' piece of kit. I can say now, that it isn't there, I have yet to stand my ground against a big fluffy white rabbit. </blurb>

the difference is that the WEE is narrower by two magazine slots, the plate pocket both front and rear are the same size in either version.

if internal magslots are not your game, then there is the WOOsatch, which can be had in either A or E variants.

the unpadded straps arent a big concern if you are wearing over armor, that being said, some vendors do include the HSGI padded straps if you ask nicely.
Old 05-02-2005, 20:42   #15
Rotor Strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prester John
What's the fundamental difference between this and the HSGI Wasatch or Wesatch?

EDIT:

Did a little reading and saw the primary difference was padding (a point that is moot if wearing IBA, right?). The shoulder strap padding not on the Wasatch is a downside. Is there any particular brand of these plate carriers better designed for a thin framed user like myself?
Allows the integration of soft armor as well. Uses SPEAR BALCS soft armor panels. So, you can use it as just soft armor, just plates, neither, or both. Plus, it's made by SOE, which is the top of the quality heap.