Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 01-01-2005, 02:25   #16
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT
How did us ole FARTS make it thru 20+ years w/o insoles and $300.00 running shoes?

BMT

Beats me!! We ran every bit of it in regular issue boots and OD socks, in fatigues (that will date me a tad....jeeez). Did the entire time I served. I'll leave out the running with weapon and rucks. Even TDY in Greece for small boat and scout swimmer training we ran 5 miles every morning. One E-7 made a point of donning his Chippewas' to make those runs. For those who don't know what the Chippewa boot is or was..... it was our ski boot (downhill/crosscountry) heavy, biggggg, cloddy...... great boot in the snow though, if ya kept it heavily treated with what we referred to as "whale shit". Hell, he brought those with him for no other reason than for those 5 mi runs every morning. They aren't much good for swimming 3, 5, 7 miles in. Which on most days during that month followed the mornin' jog.

Oh BTW to bring this back on thread. the only time I or any of us "customized" our boots was in Tolz. Standing in formation in the winter in the Quad drove us to having the soles "beefed" up. Frickin feet could freeze if ya didn't.......freezing feet in the field is one thing, but dammit not during formations back in the Kaserne. One has to draw a line at some point.........
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 04:43   #17
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Looking for good insoles

Like a million dollars!!! I don't have any BAD Joints.

BMT
Old 01-01-2005, 17:38   #18
Razor
Quiet Professional

You're a lucky man, BMT. Having spent far too much time in the local VA hosptial ortho clinic, I see time and again an old soldier nearly crippled from shot knees, ruined ankles, and bad backs, all of which the docs attribute at least partially to running in boots with no arch support. While running in boots and equipment can be done (and should be, from time to time for the training effect), training with the proper equipment to reduce the potential for injury is a good thing IMHO.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 20:41   #19
Air.177
Quiet Professional

I picked up a pair of the Green Superfeet yesterday and I am pleased with them so far in my Danner Arcadias.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 00:26   #20
bberkley
Guerrilla

Haven't tried these yet, was considering getting the medical-series for my wife.

http://www.oregonaero.com/p109_04.html
Old 01-23-2005, 19:34   #21
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

This was a timely thread, just finished a PM with The Reaper about new footgear. Probably could have used the info earlier. BBerkley - Thanks for the OregonAero weblink. What I really needed (and you helped me get without sweating the details) was a link for their BLSS helmet suspension system. That is the heat, wish it wasn't so pricey. If the insole is anything like their helmet pads it ought to be pretty good. I've had a set of the insoles since the 2002 SOF Conference (promo giveaway) that I've never used, seemed too much like the Dr, Scholl's stuff that doesn't work for me any more. Guess I'll finally have to try them out. Since my flat feet are now certified by the VA I guess I should be taking better care of them (and by inference, everything else connected). FWIW - Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 01:43   #22
BearFlag
Asset

I just got my SOLE Custom Footbeds i the mail yesterday, and am wearing them in a pair of new New Balance 991's. So far they are awesome, IMO leaps and bounds above Super Feet.

As a side note I have been using "WrightSocks", which are dual layer coolmax thin socks, and those work like a champ as well, even when I was out in cold and wet climates where my feet were constantly soaked, they somehow managed to not get blisters, although my feet got "wet" from being submerged, they never got wrinkled, red, or blistery, when I took em out it was more like a fine layer of sweat from a run... A++

I think w/ my above combo i should be able to run much farther with considerably less sucking.
Old 08-17-2007, 23:19   #23
"CAST or TAB"
Asset

I know these are old posts but I still wanted to say thanks to everyone who put in info or opinions about their choice insoles. I intend to try the superfeet and sole customs and see what works best. Amazing what you can do with a search button.

Thanks again for the site and info gentlemen.
....WE FEW, WE HAPPY FEW, WE BAND OF BROTHERS. HE WHO SHED HIS BLOOD WITH ME SHALL FOREVER BE MY BROTHER. And those too afraid to go shall think themselves lesser men, as they hear of how we have fought and died together.
"CAST or TAB" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:37   #24
peepee1
BANNED USER

my .02 cents

I have tried the SOF soles and various other soles. Crip put me on the Super Feet as well as a doctor I know (foot doc ). He stated they were the best soles out mainly due to the fact that they do not allow your feet to flatten out (ie: most soles collapse when just REGULAR body weight is applied) and the Super Feet do not. You can go to their web site and read about the technology... For me, after about 3 weeks of rucking (light 55-65lb) 4-5 times per week with varying distances (6 miles-12 miles), THEY ARE A CHARM and I am completely sold on them. Im about to do as Crip did and put them in my running shoes as well. Just my .02 cents gents... I humbly stand down. On to browsing!
Peepee#1
peepee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 17:43   #25
systaltic
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Pizano View Post
Following advice gleaned from the plethora of experience on this site I purchased one pair of SOLE standard footbeds. Within one ruck march my arch pain is subsiding...
The Background :
Last week I did a 04:27:21 (add 30 min of break time after mile 10) movement to complete ~18.3 miles. (Yes, a nature walk for the QP's. I'm just providing a scope.) I used a Belleville Desert platform with Dr. Scholes active work insoles.

The Problem :
On mile 5 and right before mile 15, my left arch hyperextended. What is this crap?!? The sensation was an extremely annoying shot of pain that crippled my stride for about 20min each time.

The Question :
I've rucked for 4.5 years now and have never experienced this. Not even with the ISSUE black boots from ROTC in the woods of Bragg or while beating Airborne boot on Benning asphalt. SOLE, Superfeet or a tampon? After visiting both sites, I'm thinking about flipping a coin.

-NousDefionsDoc (on training the mind)

Last edited by systaltic; 12-26-2007 at 23:21. Reason: Wow! 15min/mi pace for 18mi straight? I'm not that good yet. Added my 30min HWP break time.
systaltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 17:04   #26
Books
Quiet Professional

What kind of terrain where you on at mile 5 and 15 that elicited such an apparently non-characteristic response in your feet? What were you doing? What made it better? Anything make it worse? Describe the pain/sensation. Was it a tearing feeling or was it an electric one?

I don't think I've ever done anything in the Army that didn't at least suck a little bit.

I'm thinking Superfeet, some vitamin M and a tampon.

- Jack Moroney
Old 12-28-2007, 19:22   #27
dmgedgoods
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Books View Post
...and a tampon.
Oh man. I'm trying to clean all the juice off my screen that I ejected from my nose. Hilarity ensues at PS.com.

Shawn
Old 12-28-2007, 20:51   #28
systaltic
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Books View Post
What kind of terrain...

I'm thinking Superfeet, some vitamin M and a tampon....
1. The entire course was hilly road/sidewalk.

2. The first time it happened I was moving through an area darker than hell, beset on both sides with trees/foilage and no moonlight at all. I was not paying attention to my strides (I was more concerned with the shady homeless people eyeing me as I intruded on their turf). The second time, I know for a fact that I landed the foot flat rather than heel first.

3. The pain went away after rucking more. Counterintuitive, but true. I just kept going, but focused on allowing the foot to strike heel first, then rolling along the outside edge and completeing the motion with the toe box. After a while, it went away.

4. Nothing made it worse. The feeling was electric every time. Here's a good one: When you stretch a hamstring, you know that there is a range of motion. You stretch carelessly, it tightens painfully. But after a long, calculated stretch, you find that it is possible to surpass that initial range. That shock, that feeling of "WTF OVER!" is what my foot screamed with every subsequent step.

Thanks for any insight. I'm putting a halt to long marches with boots until I find a fix that is worht the risk.

-NousDefionsDoc (on training the mind)
systaltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:32   #29
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT View Post
How did us ole FARTS make it thru 20+ years w/o insoles and $300.00 running shoes?

BMT
I wore the mesh insoles in my jungle boots that were supposed to stop punji stakes but in fact collected mud. I even had a pair of JBs that had a bare foot print for a sole.

DOL,
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 19:14   #30
cold1
Guerrilla

No rucking, no running, just daily pounding on concrete floors in work boots. My feet are fine, my back OTOH is another story.
Could insoles help with that?

Thank you.
cold1 is offline   Reply With Quote