Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 05-27-2004, 14:44   #31
Razor
Quiet Professional

Done that more than once, if you want to call it sleep. Actually, its more comfortable just sleeping sitting up.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 14:58   #32
Alex F
Auxiliary

Although the prime non-crew spot was always the hell hole. Toss yourself on top of the rucks and other crap that ended up in there and it was a nice spot. I think the best place is the driver's seat though.
Alex F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 15:02   #33
Razor
Quiet Professional

Agreed, but I didn't often find myself in the driver's seat.
Old 05-27-2004, 15:09   #34
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

Re: Re: Re: Fit??

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
It is your decision, but I disagree with you on wearing it in a vehicle.

In an armored vehicle, you take a hit, roll into a body of water or have an on board fire and try to unass the vehicle blind, disoriented, on fire, or seriously injured, that stuff is going to trap you and may cause someone else to be stuck trying to get you out. I wouldn't wear anything I couldn't easily exit with, and put the rest in a bustle rack. The tank or Brad is the weapon, you need to be configured to fight that, not as an infantryman.

In a Hummer, you need to be able to operate the crew served weapons, if any, and get in and out quickly.

TR
To elaborate on what TR said just a bit. What we are opting with is nothing on but body armor while in the cupola. This allows him to move freely around and quickly drop inside the vehicle in case of a rollover, or hop out quickly wihtout getting his gear caught up. The gunners kit is strapped on top of the vehicle but not the M4. The M4 will be worn with either an assault sling or fastex fastener so the gunner can quickly transition should the crew served go down.

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 15:22   #35
Alex F
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor
Agreed, but I didn't often find myself in the driver's seat.
After my first go around as a driver, I never did either.

I did get to play with the video game systems they developed for gunners prior to ETSing, though. It was: A: college, ROTC, and college women, or B: reenlist, E5, and gunner.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:06   #36
Ghostrider
Tank Boy

Re: Re: Re: Fit??

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
In an armored vehicle, you take a hit, roll into a body of water or have an on board fire and try to unass the vehicle blind, disoriented, on fire, or seriously injured, that stuff is going to trap you and may cause someone else to be stuck trying to get you out. I wouldn't wear anything I couldn't easily exit with, and put the rest in a bustle rack. The tank or Brad is the weapon, you need to be configured to fight that, not as an infantryman.

In a Hummer, you need to be able to operate the crew served weapons, if any, and get in and out quickly.

Dismounted, you need to be able to fight and render first aid with what you have on, so you may be okay for that mission.

Just my .02.

TR
Well that does bring up a couple issues.

If you have to unass the vehicle in the event of an emergency and you're not wearing anything other than body armor and personal weapon then you're SOL if you have to fight or E & E. If you need to put gear on, time is ticking. Also, if your stuff is in the bustle rack and you're under fire, exposure could be a problem. But, it also depends on what spot on the vehicle you're on. A TC or loader have a little more room, the gunner, slightly less (and more stuff to get through when getting out) and the driver definitely has more issues and would have to tuck it away rather than wear it. But I completely agree, you can't have so much gear on that your escape is impeded.

That's the main reason I got the Hellcat. It gives the ability to reconfigure it as it's determined what will work and what won't. As of right now, I already wear a Camelbak and can dismount easily (tank, 113, or hummer). For primary mounted activity the Hellcat alone with 1 or 2 GP pockets should work. For other activities, add other pockets as needed.....but that's where the T&E comes in........ahh the wonders of modularity.

Last edited by Ghostrider; 05-28-2004 at 07:15.
Ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:21   #37
Ghostrider
Tank Boy

Quote:
Done that more than once, if you want to call it sleep. Actually, its more comfortable just sleeping sitting up.
LOL. Yeah, if you want to call it comfortable.

I prefer, laying on top of the TCs sponson box, with the CVC helmet on (serves as a pillow and if there's something important on the net you can hear it).
Old 05-28-2004, 07:31   #38
Ghostrider
Tank Boy

Quote:
Of course, tankers have the luxury of spacious living in their turrets, unlike their cramped, sardine-like Bradley bretheren (especially when you're 6'2" and 195lbs).
You know it's sad when the space tankers have is considered luxurious! But in comparison to a Brad or a Eastern Bloc tank, I guess one could consider it spacious.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:11   #39
Alex F
Auxiliary

Thumbs up

Do you still get cherry tankers to sleep on the intakes?

Old 05-28-2004, 15:48   #40
Razor
Quiet Professional

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fit??

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghostrider
Well that does bring up a couple issues. If you have to unass the vehicle in the event of an emergency and you're not wearing anything other than body armor and personal weapon then you're SOL if you have to fight or E & E.
The likelihood of a former-tanker-now-grunt having to immediately E&E is probably pretty low, as there's at least a wingman, if not entire platoon or company of fellow treadheads nearby to pick up the new hitchhiker(s), if the 1SG hasn't already rolled up in his 113 to check vehicle status or assist in casevac if necessary, wouldn't ya say?
Old 05-28-2004, 16:06   #41
Ghostrider
Tank Boy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fit??

Quote:
The likelihood of a former-tanker-now-grunt having to immediately E&E is probably pretty low, as there's at least a wingman, if not entire platoon or company of fellow treadheads nearby to pick up the new hitchhiker(s), if the 1SG hasn't already rolled up in his 113 to check vehicle status or assist in casevac if necessary, wouldn't ya say?
Yes, low....but, it is not uncommon for a vehicle and crew to be on it's own for a little bit if, for example, they break down and/or are immobilized and the fight is still on-going...plus jumping on a tank that's still fighting limits that tanks ability to fight and there is no place to put the displaced crew (and they will still be exposed to enemy fire)......once that crew has to abandon their vehicle, they do need the ability to be self-sufficient.

Depending on where the 1SG is with the M88 and Band-aid and/or dispersion of the Company/Troop it could take some time.

Oh, and once a tanker ALWAYS a tanker....I can't believe you used that "grunt" word....(j/k, I think the world of dismount types....that's why I always let them warm up behind the exhaust).