Old 12-19-2013, 15:01   #16
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
Great idea.....not! Those who have been in SF more than a few years will remember the annual "certification" or "validation" mandated by SF Command back in the late 80s / early 90s.

Real fun that was.
You didn't enjoy the completely meaningless 22 milers?

I think where SF got screwed was when they made it a CMF and the West Pointers started experimenting with training recipes.

IMA got screwed over, too.

(Not trying to start a heated debate, here; just my opinion. No need to put me on hiatus from future filming.
Old 05-07-2016, 21:42   #17
xollie316
Quiet Professional

I recall IUW being mostly hazing, PT, land nav (although different than Hoffman it is more difficult in it's own way), and grandiose speeches by the less professional members of the SFQC cadre. No issue with the gut check, land nav, gates, or PT of course. As stated it has been awhile from selection to Q Course for some of the students and it weeds out some weak or faint hearted.

However, the attitude and actions of that particular group of cadre has left a sore mark with me to this day. We must endeavor as a regiment to present ourselves as quiet professionals to everyone, including our students / future team mates.

I do hope that has changed as it is true first impression of the SF Soldier for many of the students.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:57   #18
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

When we swam I'm pretty sure we did it with LBE and rubber weapons too.

Those 7 pullups have to go along with the rope climb or no women are going to make it........
Old 07-14-2016, 19:24   #19
mark46th
Quiet Professional

All this crap about "Nutrition". How about one maybe two C-Rations a day for 4 weeks? Sometimes if you fxxked up, your TAC would give you the wrong coordinates to find your next meal? How about cooking a goat so old, after 8 hours of cooking, it was like eating a boot? Nutrition? Never heard of it.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:52   #20
MH60
Asset

After being a point sitter for the IUW land navigation detail I can attest to "Didn't train hard enough, ran out of gas on hour eight of the land navigation course." Around hour seven or eight students would come by my point moving like snails, nothing left, no fight left in them. On the truck ride back to camp a couple of guys stated that they just gave up.
MH60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 13:31   #21
Premsore
Asset

I hear ya, Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
All this crap about "Nutrition". How about one maybe two C-Rations a day for 4 weeks? Sometimes if you fxxked up, your TAC would give you the wrong coordinates to find your next meal? How about cooking a goat so old, after 8 hours of cooking, it was like eating a boot? Nutrition? Never heard of it.
Phase I in '69. Hey, you forgot about the chickens quick-cooked under a #10 can. The goat "jerky" was a hoot!
Premsore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 14:02   #22
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH60 View Post
After being a point sitter for the IUW land navigation detail I can attest to "Didn't train hard enough, ran out of gas on hour eight of the land navigation course." Around hour seven or eight students would come by my point moving like snails, nothing left, no fight left in them. On the truck ride back to camp a couple of guys stated that they just gave up.
We had a guy do night land Nav, come walking in in daylight to our formation, day land nav. He comes in and tells the cadre that he was "forced up a tree by wild dogs and could not move all night". Cadre asked if he was OK, he said "Yes". The cadre then handed him his next nav points, he quit on the spot.

Made us all smile, well, what was left of us.......
Old 05-11-2017, 13:24   #23
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

"THE WILD DOG'S of CAMP MacKALL"

WHAT DID HE EXPECT ? A FREE PASS OR A TIME OUT???? HOW DID HE GET THAT FAR IN THE ARMY WITH HIS MENTAL Thought Process???? Tom Kelly
Old 05-14-2017, 20:45   #24
HardRoad
Quiet Professional

Location: Georgia, Florida and North Carolina (its complicated)
The Wild Dogs of Camp Mackall

Actually, the dogs of the Hoffman triangle.

When I was out there, the cadre told us that we were forbidden to use our star clusters as anti-dog missiles. I don't know whether it's true or not, but we were told that a student had gotten treed to the northwest of Bones Fork (he had crossed into the pasture there) and had used his star cluster to shoot the dog. They thought that was a bad idea. Of course, they also told us that there was a draw monster out there and that the prison was a girl's reform school, so . . .
HardRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 15:47   #25
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
You didn't enjoy the completely meaningless 22 milers?

I think where SF got screwed was when they made it a CMF and the West Pointers started experimenting with training recipes.

IMA got screwed over, too.

(Not trying to start a heated debate, here; just my opinion. No need to put me on hiatus from future filming.
It really got screwed when the SWEG started influencing the training with a bunch a starry Phd eyed psychs and etc.....trying to educate the school on the proper way to train warriors.......
Old 07-03-2017, 07:31   #26
MH60
Asset

I'm an idiot. Comment deleted.

Last edited by MH60; 07-31-2017 at 18:58.
MH60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 13:13   #27
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
Why don't you just go with these guys and show them how and while you are at it show them the points hell you are passing out G2.....part of what separates GB's from everyone else is our ability to learn on the job and figure things out which is funny enough part of assessment......

Can you say ....Melinial.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 13:17   #28
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH60 View Post
When someone is doing research about training for selection or the qualification course it should only take them about five seconds to realize how important being able to ruck is.
You're not in the course to pass out tips........

Let the students pass on their own terms.

Trust me , you don't want us to find you.