Old 03-25-2015, 11:52   #1816
AtAllCosts
Asset

Gents,

I'm 23. Currently serving as an MP on Ft Bragg for the last three years. In high school I was the chubby "brace face" who had hardly seen the inside of a gym. The Army has been great for my life and it only gets better the more effort I put in. I went through a lot of change in my mental state in the last year or so and have been training hard to achieve my goals. They've been the same for a long time now, I only recently have gathered the means and motivation to do so. I want to dedicate my very being to a goal that seemed out of reach to me years ago, and in the process serve doing something greater and be a part of the humble brotherhood that I've heard so much about.

I've read around this website for about two months before actually registering, and have read quite a bit of literature. I'm greatful for the opportunity to talk to you gentleman and look forward to the opportunity to attempt to count myself among you.

Respectfully,
Mike

Last edited by AtAllCosts; 03-25-2015 at 11:56.
AtAllCosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:10   #1817
DC87
SF Candidate

Hi, I have been granted the chance to attend SFAS in a few months. I am true believer in listening and learning from the experiences of others and value the opinion of those who have walked the path I wish to enter. Looking forward to your insight.

See you down the road!
DC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 19:46   #1818
theWayside
SF Candidate

I am 21 years old. I was given an 18X contract with ship date June 1, 2015. I live in WA and am looking forward to learning as much as I can from PS.com.
theWayside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:59   #1819
sapinid
Asset

My son is currently in 18x, just finished boot camp and heading to airborne school. So of course am very interested in any info regarding his training.
I am a missionary in the Philippines, for those who know Magsaysay, live east about 4 ridges over from there.

Last edited by sapinid; 03-27-2015 at 05:53.
sapinid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:13   #1820
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Welcome all.

If you have questions, please exercise due diligence and use the search function. If you feel more comfortable, use your Google-foo. Like most sites, the big players use spiders to aid in scanning and cataloging the topics.

Learn & Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache-6G View Post
Hello.
Although brevity is encouraged, one word intros are not acceptable.

Please edit your post and enlighten the world with your life story; use less than 10K words, but more than ONE(1).

The reason you are asked for an intro & profile is to allow the QP's and other interested forum interlopers an insight into who you are as they read your posts.

It's nice to know who is saying what.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 03-27-2015 at 04:17.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 18:08   #1821
LilBuddha
Asset

I have been lurking for some time and thought I'd finally come out and play. I spent almost 10 years as an entrepreneur before entering the Army later in life as a 19A. One of my great regrets is that I blew my knee out in the week before I was scheduled for jump school. They say pride goes before a fall, and it was definitely present as I was submitting a guy at the Knox fight house when the knee tore. Due to my injuries (and I had Lasik), I ETS without being able to try out for Selection. I am a martial arts instructor who’s been teaching for over 20 years. I had a dojo in the JBLM area, but closed it about a year ago after blowing the other knee. I plan to re-establish, although I’m trying to figure out location, in addition to a slightly different focus (not on MMA fighters). It also seems I am on the road to working with wounded warriors and hope to make a difference there; resilience is applicable to us all. I love the depth of analysis and nuance I see in the posts here. Some of the most impressive people I have met are SO types. I am a life-long learner and appreciate like-minded people. As iron sharpens iron…
LilBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 19:28   #1822
M4RES2sf
Asset

Intro

Hi,
I'm a current Marine reservist working towards an 18x contract. Feel free to PM with questions.
Thanks
M4RES2sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 20:45   #1823
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Welcome all.

All of you who have "SF" in your name, and aren't SF, let me know what you want your user name changed to, or I will do it for you.

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:31   #1824
Mountaineer14
Asset

Intro

Good afternoon all,

I am a 23 year old Senior at WVU, have been in the National Guard for five years as both an 11B and 13B. I have been reading many posts on Professional Soldiers for about a year now as I am interested in going SF after school. I enjoy reading and soaking up information from the many knowledgeable soldiers on here, so you probably won't see me post often after this.
Mountaineer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:44   #1825
AbnStratton
Asset

Greetings

Hello my name is Stratton. I currently am serving in the Army and am deployed as we speak. I have been in for 6 years and am a 12B with Airborne qualification. I spent 3 1/2 years at Ft. Bragg with the 82nd Abn Division. Currently I am with 4th ID, and have been with them for the past 1 year and some change. I have background in German and Arabic languages. I am considering going to selection, but am seeking out information and making sure I have the full support of my family, as I have a wife and a newborn daughter.

I am looking forward to meeting many of you and having indepth conversations about many topics and hearing of your experiences and of your advice. I much appreciate the ability to receive this information and to be amongst very admirable men.

Essayons

Last edited by The Reaper; 04-04-2015 at 22:48. Reason: Edited to remove excess personal data. PERSEC is especially important now. Welcome. TR
AbnStratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 23:26   #1826
Hawkdriver
Asset

Talking Greetings

Former 11B/H who, after about half a career, saw the error of my ways and learned how to wiggle the sticks on a 60. I have worked with several teams and made some professional friends, but it is funny how you can fly the same folks around for a year and never learn real names. If anyone on here was referred to as "Meatloaf" by some aviators in RC-East some years back, I was the LT that you were always bumming rides from.

Anyways, I came across this forum when I was looking for ways to improve my go-bag and E&E tactics in the hopes of not ending up in an orange jumpsuit and decided it is probably one of the best sources for information on the interwebs.

About me- Active and Guard experience, 10 years IN, 10 years (so far) AV. Started as an E1, so I never thought I would be where I am now.
Hawkdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:06   #1827
pelli247
Asset

Introduction

Hello,

I'm a 27 year old 13F in the Washington NG drilling out of Seattle. I recently joined a few years later than usual and post college. I have a civilian engineering desk job, but I need a greater challenge. Right now I am an E4 who is strongly considering starting the application process to join the 19th.

I hope to use this site to answer all of my dumb questions (with search of course!) and get a better idea of how to prepare. I want to find a local mentor as well.

Thank you
pelli247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:36   #1828
KBConvert37
Asset

Introduction

Hello,

Current 37F here. Joined to expand my SOF knowledge and gain a little bit of wisdom. Been to SFAS back in 2011, but was injured during team week and then scooped up by PSYOP, and here I am now. Looking forward to lurking around the forum.
-KC
KBConvert37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:29   #1829
WillofIron97
Asset

Intro-Lost cause

My name's Will. I'm a high school senior from Indiana who's wanted nothing more than to be able to serve my country since I was very little. But as of yesterday, I found out that my waiver request was disapproved. The reason I had to try for a waiver is because from the time I was nine to the time I was 12 years old I was on anti-depressants. The reason for that is because my dad beat my mom and I quite a bit and he even tried to kill her. When she left him I had night terrors quite frequently about the things he did. I can assure that I have long since accepted that as part of my past and have more than moved on from it. I am perfectly capable of dealing with any amount of stress put on me. As I've gotten older there have been plenty of stressful situations that are family related and some might consider traumatic that I have successfully self-negotiated with no outside assistance. I have been training for about a year now, outside of sports, to prepare for SFAS. I am currently scoring a consistant 300 on the APFT and have lately needed an extended scale to grade my progress. But as of yesterday I know that I was deemed medically unfit to serve. I am simply wondering if it would be worth it to try again in a year or two when I might be able to put a motion in to be re-evaluated? I was told by my recruiter that that could be an option? Would it even be worth it? I don't give up on anything I commit too. I want this more than anything else. But is it a lost cause to keep trying?

Last edited by WillofIron97; 04-07-2015 at 10:05.
WillofIron97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:39   #1830
WillofIron97
Asset

I am 17 and a high school student in Indiana. I have been preparing for almost a year for SFAS and have wanted nothing more than to serve my country since I was little. But when I was 9-12 I took anti-depressants. The reason being is because when I was very little my dad abused my mother and I and even tried to kill her and I had night terrors about it. I have since moved on and negotiated other traumatic experiences successfully with no medical assistance. Life hasn't been easy to say the least but I can assure that I am perfectly capable of dealing with stress. But my request for a waiver was denied and I am PDQ'd. But I know that I might be able to be re-evaluated in two years. Is it even worth it? I've never given up on anything I commit too and don't plan on starting now. But is this just too much of a loosing battle? I'll continue to train and improve regardless while I'm in college and try again. But again, do you as quiet professionals think there's no hope? I would think nothing less of you if you did.
WillofIron97 is offline   Reply With Quote