Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 10-31-2010, 13:34   #16
AF Doc
Asset

Question more experience?

Resurrecting this thread.

SwatSurgeon,

You indicated in a previous post that you were going to do additional testing at a Tac-Med class. Anymore feedback on this TQ after some more experience with it? I'm familiar with the CAT, McMillan, and TK-4. How would you compare the SWAT-T to the TK-4?

Anybody else have experience with the SWAT-T?

(I'm more than professionally curious; I'm putting together a personal FAK for an upcoming trip to Afghanistan. )
AF Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 21:30   #17
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Actually yes......
first off i have had one in the heat of Phoenix in my vehicle for two years...they hold up fine. Second, we abuse the hell out of them in our class and again they hold up to everyone using/abusing them to the best of their ability.
I just made a video of its use on a traumatic amputation at work....(I have a head mounted video camera) and it worked great. It remains a simple device, no velcro, no mechanical failure points, nothing to ratchet/lock/screw or otherwise take time and allow more unnecessary bleeding.
I am a huge fan of this tourniquet. I have used the MAT, CAT, newest version of the SOF-T...all are good items, non as simple and fast and multipurpose as the SWAT-T

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 21:53   #18
adal
Quiet Professional

SS gave me one recently and while I have not been able to use it at work as of yet, it is part of my personal IFAK kit. Just my .02 worth.
adal
Old 12-23-2010, 14:33   #19
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

If you want to see it 'in action'......
http://blog.remotemedical.com/wilder...in-action.html
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
Old 12-28-2010, 06:14   #20
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

I liked the SWAT a lot after seeing it demonstrated at SOMA last year, but I lost a lot of my enthusiasm at SOFMSSC. The more dynamic and hectic the environment the more problems emerged with them staying on or sufficiently stopping bleeding. In the controlled environment there were no issues - on the lanes it was a different story. There were a few of them lying on the ground after our FTX that had fallen off patients during movement.

Perhaps some of this could be mitigated with more training, but I still think it is a less secure tourniquet when you have to drag or extract a casualty after application (which is the common situation for the combat medic).

On the positive side it is a super simple design that can serve a lot of other purposes in your aid bag.

FWIW
Old 01-02-2011, 10:49   #21
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

D9
your thoughts are correct, no one tool is ever perfect and like anything else, chance favors the unlucky in the described environment. I have seen all types of tourniquets fail under varied circumstances.....murphy lives on. The SWAT-T is another piece of kit that is useful and effective until it fails; just like everything else any of us carry. Having a backup plan seems to be the best piece of kit we have!
ss

Old 02-27-2011, 12:51   #22
Black Knight
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Im supprised I haven't seen these on here before, I was talking to an Isreali medic awhile back and he told me about using these; but they applied it diffrently. I like their method better than the tuck.

This is how he said they used them:
they place about 3 inches of the band parralel to the arm, then fold the band over itself so its perpandicular to the arm, then wrap it around tightly until bleeding has stopped then tie the end to the first 3 inches.

Very effective, and cheap......or free, I don't know if they still do but over seas the MWR and stuff used to hand out those elastic exercise bands, pretty much the same thing and its free.
D9

I wonder if the above post would help with securing. I have only used the tuck method in training, but after reading your post and remembering the above post, they may be related.

BK
Old 03-01-2011, 11:30   #23
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Modify for maximum effectiveness...I like it
ss