Old 10-23-2004, 01:12   #1
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Post Sitrep

Hello from a South American country with a guerrilla war in its hands ...

It's been a fun deployment so far. We rotated out of our last location to train some more of the local conventional counter-guerrilla forces down here.

The usual problems down here are lack of Partner Nation logistical capability to support an ever-expanding presence in the area, a conscript army that has usually below standard capabilities, a corrupt and broken leadership base, no NCO base, etc.

I've found that if the Partner Nation had it its way, we would only be down here delivering US greenbacks and running an ASP. Other than that, I've found a real resistance to US military doctrine and intervention. They really dig our gear, however .

We recently visited a couple of brigade commanders to assess their needs and wants relative to the guerrilla problems at hand. We expected them to ask for marksmanship training, squad and platoon-level manuever training and communications training. Instead, they asked for fast rope training and air assault training. This was for a pair of brigades whose soldiers cannot hit a full-sized DOE regulation E-type sillhouette at 25 m and whose soldiers rarely carry upwards of 90 rounds of ammunition. Another detachment commander and I looked at each other in disbelief and flat out refused to do it. We insisted on a modified light infantry POI and that's what we are currently teaching. Guys here still want to be "high speed" before they have ever been "low speed" (a quote from my Junior 18 B).

Overall I have enjoyed the mission for it has been "interesting" and "challenging" (as you all have read before).

One last thing ... while trying to coordinate for air support with another US presence down here I end up chatting it up with a really cool former US Special Operations guy. We end up running into eachother a few times and while talking about the Assault Weapons Ban we discover that we know eachother from another medium (this one). He is PSYWAR1-0! Great guy and his organization has been there for us anytime my detachment has needed something. We have returned the favor in other SF ways. It's one heck of a coincidence to meet a "Professional Soldier" down here in the middle of all of this. He sends his best to "THE REAPER". Due to the OPTEMPO down here he has not been able to get on line lately. Anyway, that's all I got. De Oppresso Liber.

The author in the jungles of South America
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prosold.jpg (32.5 KB, 682 views)

Last edited by Basenshukai; 10-23-2004 at 01:21.
Basenshukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 01:18   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Good to hear from you. Get my digits from Psywar and give me a call when you come into town.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:34   #3
Kyobanim

Good to hear everything is going to plan You guys stay safe!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 06:34   #4
magician
Quiet Professional

damn....almost looks like....home.

say "hola" to the chicas. Or...not.
magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 18:05   #5
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

Bas has one hell of a tight team. Its been a real pleasure to work with them.

So while you were off dilly daddling in the Capitol, Me and the TmSgt were at the range, what (or who) have you done for your country today!
Old 10-24-2004, 20:02   #6
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psywar1-0
Bas has one hell of a tight team. Its been a real pleasure to work with them.

So while you were off dilly daddling in the Capitol, Me and the TmSgt were at the range, what (or who) have you done for your country today!
Damn, that's cold ...

almost as cold as the air conditioning in my hotel suite .

See ya when me R&R is over. By the way ... is there anything you need ordered from CDS (Diego's place near the Embassy?).
Old 10-24-2004, 20:07   #7
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Don't ask that mercenary that, he'll have your whole crib full of stuff and smelling like glue.

Watch it Psypopper - I have your critical clothing item issue in my closet...LOL

To answer your question, I haven't shot or cut any Americans today. But then again, its only 21:15.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 10-24-2004, 20:18   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

BTW, I hardly think burning up ammo on a flat range while sun-tanning qualifies as "doing something for your country." Did you guys make sure the lawn chairs were put away before you had the little people police the range?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 10-26-2004, 12:53   #9
Shark Bait
Quiet Professional

Damn, I wish I could go play. Be safe down there.
Shark Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 20:28   #10
Chris
Guerrilla

Sounds like good fun, stay safe and hope for more updates

-Chris
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 21:50   #11
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Ok, you twisted my arm ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Sounds like good fun, stay safe and hope for more updates

-Chris
So after returning from "down range" after six months, we did a one-week re-deployment stand-down (!). That was enough time to turn-in broken weapons and equipment and unpack. But, we did have Christmas in CONUS, which was nice. By February, we started to send guys away for advanced training (SOTACC, SOTIC, SFARTEAC, and other courses). We also began to get ready for another SFAUCC rotation (my second one). Late in February, we lost our second Team Sergeant to a pretty ugly situation. He's still a damn good NCO; just lost his temper in the wrong place and at the wrong time and paid for it. Then, as we began SFAUCC, we were introduced to our third Team Sergeant in a year and a half. At that point, there were only three guys in the team with longevity and "corporate memory" of the unit and that included me.

This SFAUCC far exceeded the last one we participated in prior to heading "down range" over nine months before. The team was cohesive and the new Team Sergeant had done this course at least four other times. Shortly after that, we had a company change-of-command and we received an "old hand" that had been the HALO detachment commander in this very company just five years prior. He came to us with high recommendations and expectations. By this time, I was the most senior detachment commander in the company and the threat of being "put to pasture" was very real (i.e., going to staff).

We received our next "down range" mission and it put us in a beautiful country far away from the "flag pole". In fact the US MILGRP in this country consisted of only three military active duty officers. It was a good mission and a good lesson in being alone, having all the operational funding you might need, having no oversight and STILL doing the right thing. To top it all off, the country was highly politically sensitive and a diplomatic “hot potato” due to the threat potential, previous US involvement and concurrent US missions with high strategic implications for the region. The mission was a complete success.

We returned home and within 10-days were boarding a C-17 for the western states to conduct training in the high desert. In fact, we didn't even unpack our personal gear from our previous mission in South America. Luckily, I had washed all my gear prior to leaving our last location. We trained hard and for long hours. I can't even remember how many live fires we ran. It makes me chuckle when I think about it, but I know that the guys thought that the Team Sergeant was a relentless slave driver. We worked 28-days straight out of 29 days in the area. Our SEAL and Force Recon brothers were also in attendance conducting similar training. We compared notes and exchanged ideas. We found them to be a good bunch of professional guys and a pleasure to work alongside with. Our training included CAS live fire - day/night, dismounted live fire - react to contact, long range mobility movement day/night, IED Drills, GMV offensive and defensive IADs, vehicle land navigation, flat range, heavy weapons, sniper employment, high angle long range fires, and off-road vehicle handling techniques including desert rock and desert sand and CQB.

We returned from this and I was given devastating news: My time had run out and my two years were up at the team command position. So, I got the next best thing: Company XO. Suddenly, I'm assisting with the management of the flow of a couple of million dollars worth of equipment as it comes in fresh from the factories and retailers. Our supply room began to fill with rail systems, holographic CQB sights, IR Laser sights, radio systems, long range scopes, COTS cold weather gear, boots, glasses, goggles, weapons magazines, body armor, body armor plates, submachine guns, pistols, etc. You name it ... it's flowing in.

In the middle of that, the detachments are conducting concurrent planning, area assessments and intelligence updates on their respective areas. The detachments are getting augmented to 105% strength, and anyone that can get an "invite" to the party is coming over (from our sister battalions). SRCs, final personal arrangements, it's all happening. Next stop, in a very short span of time ... THE SAND BOX. Isn't this the reason everyone joins SF ... to take the fight to the enemy? Man, they don't even know what's coming.

EOM
BAS SENDS

Last edited by Razor; 12-21-2005 at 16:16.
Basenshukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:12   #12
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Ahhhh the memories <sigh>
I see some things never change

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 18:12   #13
aricbcool
Guerrilla Chief

Thanks for the update, Basenshukai.

Stay safe,
Aric
Old 01-01-2006, 20:59   #14
Chris
Guerrilla

Sounds like one hell of a time, stay frosty!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 21:12   #15
Blarney
BANNED USER

tell your guys going off to do SFARTEAC, some wierd asset kid on professionalsoldiers said good luck

have fun in the jungles and dont forget to get "Welcome to the Jungle"
Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote