Old 08-06-2013, 17:49   #1
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Home Security

How do you plan to secure and defend your home?

If you follow the adage of "deter, detect, delay, and defeat," how would you accomplish this?

Deter - House sits well back from the road on a hill, gravel drive, not much in the front yard, no obvious signs of wealth. Video surveillance camera by driveway entrance and video warning sign. Bright exterior floodlighting on just two switches covers most of the property, and all entrances/exits. Automatic dusk till dawn exterior lighting of entrances. Plan to add remote IR lighting for cameras and night vision. Selected interior lights left on at night and others are on timers. TV or radio on during day and most of the night. Thorny plants under windows. No ladders stored outside. Windows above basement level too tall to climb. All exterior doors locked but one, that one locked when I am not home. Chain and cable secure gate periodically. Garage is closed and doors locked automatically if we are not in it working. Front entrance requires a climb of more than 20 steps. Alarm monitoring signs by all entrances. Garage and main entrance are on back of house out of view from the street. Shrubbery kept trimmed below level of windows.

Detect - Driveway and blind spots covered by annunciators. Video surveillance wired into home TVs. Major views cover likely avenues of approach. Alarm system on all exterior doors and windows, set to chime when door or window opened. Gravel drive noisy to climb. Driveway passes by bedroom windows. Dog barks when outside noises heard.

Delay - Slow driving on gravel drive and two significant drainages create natural speed bumps, both easily covered from above from most of the front of the house, including Master BR. House is well off the road. Doors and windows locked. Windows are casement. Exterior doors are steel or fiberglass with 3" screws in hinges and bolt hardware. Frames are reinforced. Plan to add pockets for 2x6 door bars on steel doors. Deadbolt throws are boxed. Doors with glass have double cylinder deadbolts. Front door requires significant climb, enters into sunroom with locked and deadbolted interior doors into house. Main entrance is up several steps and could represent an excellent trap. Need portcullis though. Interior doors are 8-0 solid core and critical ones are secured with keyed locks. Frames are reinforced with double or triple studs. Multiple interior routes of defense, delay, and withdrawal or attack. Access to any bedroom requires breaching at least two or more locked doors. Valuables are secured in safes and secure areas. Garage doors lock automatically with deadbolts. No burglary tools left outside. Family briefed and drilled on emergency plan. Fire extinguishers and emergency flashlights in likely areas. Vehicles are locked, and no handheld remotes are left in cars.

Defend - Owner and family members well-armed and trained with a variety of weapons, including firearms. Good 360 degree fields of fire. Brick exterior. Need mouseholes, but the wife won't let me install them. Yet. Would like larger, more aggressive dog. Hardened interior structures for cover. I'll just leave it at that and save a few surprises.

Thoughts?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 18:21   #2
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

EDITED: I entered this thread from the New Posts search and did not catch that it was in the SF Fieldcraft forum until posting. Please remove if inappropriate for me to post here.

Typical suburban matchstick and vinyl house on a corner lot.

Deter:
No signs of wealth. 2 dogs that bark to include a proper German import GSD that greets every doorbell ring (UPS and FedEx stopped knocking long ago).
We keep the yard post light on and lights by the garage are on for 8 hours after sunset (9pm most of the summer). Impact resistant glass for the windows. No alarm but sign for one near the front entrance. Thorny rose bushes near front windows and trimmed low. 6ft privacy fence out back.

Detect:
Master bedroom looks out to unobstructed front yard, entrance, and driveway. And dogs add to detect by barking at odd sounds (ask the neighbors teenage kids about coming home after midnight). Entire back yard visible from my son's room next ours.

Defend: If they get in, the first floor can be theirs. Stairway is narrow and enclosed creating a fatal funnel for anyone coming up. Defensive position is top of the stairs covering down with rifle and back up hand gun. Wife corrals kids into master bedroom, calls in the reaction force, and defends if necessary with own weapons.

Not perfect but what we have to work with....

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 08-06-2013 at 18:25.
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 18:21   #3
Stobey
Guerrilla Chief

Any thoughts?

How about razor wire and claymores? In all seriousness, TR, I can't think of anything you've left out. With what you've described, looks pretty darn secure!
Old 08-06-2013, 18:34   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobey View Post
How about razor wire and claymores? In all seriousness, TR, I can't think of anything you've left out. With what you've described, looks pretty darn secure!
I have a low double silt fence remaining around the front yard left over from construction.

I cut the fabric down, but the 24-36" of picketed hogwire left behind is a real PITA at night if you don't know where it is. Razor wire would be nice but I am told it is cosmetically unattractive and will reduce my curb appeal.

Tanglefoot in high grass would be much better. A couple hundred rolls of razor wire might attract attention.

Claymores are illegal and I don't have any. A couple of days without rule of law, and I might remember a helpful chemistry class though.

Lest you get the wrong impression, I like people just fine, when I invite them.

And no problem posting on this thread. This forum just seemd to be one of the more tactical ones.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 08-06-2013, 19:25   #5
35NCO
Guerrilla

Deter/Defense:

I have thought about this one before from a more out of the box "mad scientist" perspective. What if you took apart a couple of high power microwaves and placed the microwave emitting isolators on old parabolas, something along the line of a one meter direct TV dish. Then used the dishes to surround the property with crossing lanes of fire. The only troubles I could imagine is a good power source with good backup. The power source would need to be heavily defended or self sustaining in case someone realized its weakness.

Finally, making sure there is no rear and side lobe emission from the devices. Or at least keeping the home dwelling away from the high power band.

If you had some wild beasts nearby, or just happen to be under siege by some Wiley " marauders", it would sure keep them back for awhile. I know it sounds like fantasy, but it would really not be all that difficult to do. As far as I know, I would think it would take awhile for someone to really legally care about it...DOE or maybe FCC if it caused jamming issues. Technically though, you could get a license for the system from the FCC. I know people locally that have some pretty powerful radar systems for hobby.

As a disclaimer, I swear I am not some nut case. I have just spent way too much time on shift considering the "spectrum" in my job field.
35NCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 20:12   #6
fng13
Guerrilla

What about 3m security film over exterior windows? I don't have first hand experience but I have read good things about it.

Also, depending on length of driveway, a hidden motion alarm that signals to your bedroom if someone is coming up the drive might be worthwhile.

My in-laws have that and they can then open up there security camera monitor and see who is coming up the lane. A little bit discreet early warning.
Old 08-06-2013, 20:58   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by fng13 View Post
What about 3m security film over exterior windows? I don't have first hand experience but I have read good things about it.

Also, depending on length of driveway, a hidden motion alarm that signals to your bedroom if someone is coming up the drive might be worthwhile.

My in-laws have that and they can then open up there security camera monitor and see who is coming up the lane. A little bit discreet early warning.
Too many windows, so too much money right now.

That is what a driveway annunciator is. A wireless alert motion sensor with a chime in the house. You can put them pretty much anywhere and they will chime to let you know something warm is moving. I have a couple of them here.

TR

Old 08-06-2013, 21:02   #8
Ghost_Team
Quiet Professional

I live in an apartment. Entrance is on the ground level into a foyer. The main apartment is located on the second floor. You come in, and then up the stairs you go. What sold me on it is that there is a deck immediately to one side of the main entrance. Either the wife or I can come out onto the deck and look down and converse with whoever is knocking. We never have to go near the door to see who is here.
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost "The Road Not Taken"
Ghost_Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 23:17   #9
fng13
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Too many windows, so too much money right now.

That is what a driveway annunciator is. A wireless alert motion sensor with a chime in the house. You can put them pretty much anywhere and they will chime to let you know something warm is moving. I have a couple of them here.

TR
Apologies, did not realize.
Old 08-07-2013, 00:15   #10
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

TR, you obviously have a strong position (location) in which to prepare so well. I can't see if you stated multi-story or just elevated entry but do you and family have an adequate escape plan from multiple locations. If not just the need to escape fire but a tactical entry team of the good or bad guys and rally points inside/outside?

I've done as well as possible with a congested residential house, just making mine the hard target: go somewhere else.

My video and alert system (annunciatiors) are wired to smart phone (text messaging) and wireless devices for remote viewing activation of audible alerts (alarms) and can pull up day/night cameras anywhere with at least 3G service (4G/LTE better real time.) (It's my system no paid monitoring service)

I do like the idea of reinforced window film and have considered as next step in progress.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 08-07-2013 at 00:17.
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:13   #11
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Sounds like a fantastic set up TR, good stuff. I don't have a spread like that to reinforce, but here is what I have so far (just moved in 3 months ago):

Deter: Unassuming house among other houses (which are too close together but separated by fencing). I don't have many options for deterrence.

Detect: I took a page out of hajji's playbook and made some pressure plates of sorts (crush wire) that send it's signal to a wireless doorbell receiver, waterproofed them and set them up in both common and random areas around the exterior of the house. Cheap and effective. I would love to set up video surveillance, but we cannot afford it yet.

Delay: Not many options here either, but there is only one way in, and one way out of town (very small town).

Defend: The wife and I are equipped with the knowledge, skills, abilities, and "tools" to render multiple attackers useless quickly.

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:56   #12
albeham
Quiet Professional

I read..I like...

I replaced the rear door with a metal one and the front door with a composite. Both the front and rear , I have reinforced the door jams with a metal dual lock plate. 7" screws now hold the doors in there frames. On the inside I screwed in a metal plate that is 3" wide, 12" long, 1/4" thick, over were the bolts of the locks slide in. Harder to just kick in.

Doors stay lock always, got the kids and wife doing that also. Lights are on at night outside in the hallway to the front door and in the yard.

Doors are alarmed at night.

SA all of the time..I am a nosy fuck when is comes to cars around my place.

I sleep good at night....
Old 08-07-2013, 06:31   #13
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

Cultivating a hedge of Bristly Greenbrier below windows and around choke points will prove effective.
Natural razor wire.
http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology...eet.cfm?ID=575

Reinforced door jambs with hinge plates at main entries or a door bar can slow dynamic entry.

Sand filled stud spaces around defendable areas.

Sheltered egress should situation go further south.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:57   #14
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Windows??

The new standard for wind storm windows & doors may be an alternate or augmenter to the home security system. We had storm shutters in the Keys, But some of the neighbors had the new stuff and I can attest to their robustness. The windows must be able to withstand more than a guy with a sledge hammer. Not bullet proof, but a real good deterrent.. Because of the added weight of the units, the higher wind load, there is a need to re-think door & window framing. I think the min is double 2x6's for the king/jack & header studs. They also use longer nail/screws with smaller intervals.

http://www.floridadisaster.org/hrg/c..._standards.asp

Razor Wire??

You need to be a little careful with overt un-manned force.. Most jurisdictions do not think bobby traps are with-in the SYG legal limits..

Claymores are OK if labeled in at least 5 languages..

Lights??

Homes in the Keys are built on small lots. Ours was 90 x 100, most are 60 x 100,, SMALL and on a 60ft wide canal.. Our neighbor wanted to setup proximity lights on his dock and front yard. We had had a rash of water borne threats. Guys were rowing up the canals and unbolting lowers of the engine. With battery operated hammer drills,, "gone in 60t's seconds". It's a quick way to make 2K+ a pop.

Anyway,, we also have deer, chickens, Gambian rats, and big iguanas in the 'hood'. By the end of the 1st week, he tore all the lights out. His wife (AND NEIGHBORS) were not happy about 100K flood lights flashing on/off every 30 minutes. He could not get the sensitivity set low enough for chickens & rats..

He ended up using proximity sensors that beeped in the house. Still had sensitivity problems,, but only in his bedroom.. Everyone else was very very happy..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:00   #15
69harley
Guerrilla

Might want to consider securing the DVR for the video system and its back up power sourse. You also mentioned the security cameras are wired into the televisions, thats good. Can the default on your TVs be set to the security system so that when they are turned on (bump in the night) they automatically go to the feed from the security system?

Back to the security of the DVR and back up batteries. A good technique is to power the DVR from a car battery that is connected to a maintainer. If the power to the house is cut, the cameras and the DVR will still run for over a awhile.

Secure the DVR, battery and maintainer inside a gun safe. If not, when the bad guys do get inside the house they could just take the DVR.

Many security systems are still using coper phone lines for reporting, newer systems use wireless modems for reporting. Again, thinking of the smart bad guys that cut power to the house and phone lines.

The hasp on the shed in my back yard has been electrified. Some puks broke into it a couple of times when I first moved in. Second time my cameras capture very clear images of the two hoodlums. The Fayetteville police didn't want the imagery. After that I electrified the hasp from the inside. A switch in the garage shuts it off. Family has been briefed. Since electrifying that hasp over eight years ago, not a single successfull break in has occured. I used a transformer for a horse corral fence. Not sure of the legality, but it seems to work very well.
69harley is offline   Reply With Quote